2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

As far as Chris Peterson goes and UCLA. I think it's best for him to stay at Boise as he's carved out a nice little niche beating up on the lesser ranks of Utah State, New Mexico State and the rest of Boise State's soft schedule. Yes, he's now moved up to beating up on Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado State.

Yeah a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama is definitely carving out a niche of lesser ranks. You also forget Peterson has outcoached Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Frank Beamer, etc. I think Peterson would be an amazing hire for any school looking for a innovative coach who can bring the best out of "lower ranked" recruits. Imagine what he can do with a BCS and tradition backed school such as UCLA.

They technically have a greater strength of schedule, but that's a silly way of looking at it. Alabama had two games against teams that, in the second to last week of the regular season, would be ranked #1 and #2. To me, that makes their schedule more difficult. So what if the teams Boise State plays are more middle of the road than a few of the lesser teams on Alabama. In how I view Alabama as a team, whether they schedule a team they should beat by 45 instead of a team that they should beat by 28 means very little to me.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Chris Peterson goes and UCLA. I think it's best for him to stay at Boise as he's carved out a nice little niche beating up on the lesser ranks of Utah State, New Mexico State and the rest of Boise State's soft schedule. Yes, he's now moved up to beating up on Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado State.

Yeah a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama is definitely carving out a niche of lesser ranks. You also forget Peterson has outcoached Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Frank Beamer, etc. I think Peterson would be an amazing hire for any school looking for a innovative coach who can bring the best out of "lower ranked" recruits. Imagine what he can do with a BCS and tradition backed school such as UCLA.

They technically have a greater strength of schedule, but that's a silly way of looking at it. Alabama had two games against teams that, in the second to last week of the regular season, would be ranked #1 and #2. To me, that makes their schedule more difficult. So what if the teams Boise State plays are more middle of the road than a few of the lesser teams on Alabama. In how I view Alabama as a team, whether they schedule a team they should beat by 45 instead of a team that they should beat by 28 means very little to me.

Wait a minute, so it's ok for Alabama to play 1 or 2 really good teams a year, and then play bad teams, but when Boise does it, it's not?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wait a minute, so it's ok for Alabama to play 1 or 2 really good teams a year, and then play bad teams, but when Boise does it, it's not?

When has Boise played multiple really good teams in one year?

No. I'm saying Alabama's schedule was tougher. As far as how Alabama puts their schedules together... they already have to run through the gauntlet that is the SEC, so them scheduling a team they'll beat by 7 TD's instead of a team that they'll beat by 4 TD's is pretty moot, no? They stand zero chance of losing that particular game regardless.

Alabama had five preseason top 25 teams on their schedule. A few fell off, but a few were better than expected too.

IUe6Hvh.png

As far as how Alabama puts their schedules together... they already have to run through the gauntlet that is the SEC

Never understood that argument. LSU plays in the same conference and division and they actually put together a tough out-of-conference schedule this year. What good is the regular season if you don't schedule at least one marquee OOC opponent? How can one honestly compare conferences if they're mainly going to be judged on in-conference play?

I'd love to see something like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in football, with a series of out-of-conference matchups between various conferences.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As far as how Alabama puts their schedules together... they already have to run through the gauntlet that is the SEC

Never understood that argument. LSU plays in the same conference and division and they actually put together a tough out-of-conference schedule this year. What good is the regular season if you don't schedule at least one marquee OOC opponent? How can one honestly compare conferences if they're mainly going to be judged on in-conference play?

I'd love to see something like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in football, with a series of out-of-conference matchups between various conferences.

I don't understand how someone can say "run the gauntlet of the SEC for this year." Unless Alabama played a different SEC than LSU, it wasn't much of a gauntlet.

For your statement, Lights Out, I would have to say I completely agree. I always felt as though that three of your OOC opponents should be from the other top conferences. SEC should pick to three teams from either Pac-12, Big XII, Big Ten, or ACC. I realize it would never happen, but you could get some marquee matchups every year.

I don't understand how someone can say "run the gauntlet of the SEC for this year." Unless Alabama played a different SEC than LSU, it wasn't much of a gauntlet.

For your statement, Lights Out, I would have to say I completely agree. I always felt as though that three of your OOC opponents should be from the other top conferences. SEC should pick to three teams from either Pac-12, Big XII, Big Ten, or ACC. I realize it would never happen, but you could get some marquee matchups every year.

I really wish more Pac-12 teams would play home and homes with SEC teams. Tennessee coming to Oregon is going to be really fun, but I would love it if we could get someone like Florida or Georgia (Who cancelled their visit) to come to Autzen. I'm tired of teams backing out and us having to play Missouri State (of course, they replaced Central Michigan, which wasn't much of challenge anyway, but still). It should be Big East/ACC, Big 12/Big Ten, and Pac-12/SEC. I would love college football.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really wish more Pac-12 teams would play home and homes with SEC teams. Tennessee coming to Oregon is going to be really fun, but I would love it if we could get someone like Florida or Georgia (Who cancelled their visit) to come to Autzen. I'm tired of teams backing out and us having to play Missouri State (of course, they replaced Central Michigan, which wasn't much of challenge anyway, but still). It should be Big East/ACC, Big 12/Big Ten, and Pac-12/SEC. I would love college football.

It was mutual, but yes I do wish UGA played more marquee opponents. They play Clemson in 2013/2014 and then Ohio State in 2020/2021, but that's it. Our OOC games for next year are Buffalo, FAU, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. That's pretty bad.

Here is a good reference site to see schedules.

http://www.fbschedules.com/

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I'm looking at Notre Dame's future schedules, and they're looking weak. Akron? Temple? Navy? What happened to the idea of playing the best they can (teams like Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, and Alabama), as they haven't played a truly good school since the 2006 season. Looking at their schedule, if they go unbeaten any year, they can play in the Gator Bowl, as it truly befits that worthless school.

LvZYtbZ.png

It was mutual, but yes I do wish UGA played more marquee opponents. They play Clemson in 2013/2014 and then Ohio State in 2020/2021, but that's it. Our OOC games for next year are Buffalo, FAU, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. That's pretty bad.

Look out boys, here comes one helluva gauntlet!

Oregon's 2012 OOC schedule

Arkansas St. (Sun Belt champions, woo!)

Fresno St. (Well, they're kind of a rival, sort of)

Tennessee Tech (Screw you Kansas State)

God dammit Oregon. Just because you're starting to play like a major football school, doesn't mean you have to schedule like one!

Also, I heard rumors that Tennessee is trying to buyout of their game at Oregon. The SEC is a really pathetic conference when it comes to stuff like this.

I complained about Alabama OOC schedule a few pages back.

Michigan (in Arlington), Western Kentucky, Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic. Michigan is all fine and dandy, same with WKU, but this is Alabama, why can't the AD or whoever sets up the schedule get North Carolina, Miami, even Notre Dame down the road. #4 and #5 in total national titles, who I don't think have ever played. I hate that we have to play an FCS school every damn year, granted they get a good payday out of it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Hmmm... I'm liking what Washington has planned for the next few years.

Next year, they head down to LSU and play the Tigers in Baton Rouge (That is sandwiched with game against a decent San Diego State team and FCS Portland State)

In 2013, the Huskies host Boise State and head to Illinois (Illinois heads to Seattle in 2014 while the Huskies head to the Blue Turf in 2015)

Oh, and that's not mentioning the home-and-home with Wisconsin in 2017-2018.

Dang...either no one at Florida State cares beyond this season or either that website never got any info.

From what little is there, it looks like FSU is traveling--if you call a 4-hour bus ride "traveling"--down to Tampa to take on USF at their place (which is a pretty big deal for USF football, I'd think). Somehow or other, they convinced Nevada to travel down to the Doak in 2013--that one oughtta be interesting, especially if the Wolfpack are still running their patented Pistol at that time--but nothing on the 2014 side that says whether or not FSU will be returning that favor by traveling up there. If they somehow do, I believe that'll be the farthest west the Seminoles have traveled to play a road game in quite some time, if not ever.

(I know, I know...we all care about Florida State so much around here, don't we? :upside: )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Getting rid of the Boston College OOC game due to the move to the ACC.... wow Syracuse is going all in the next 2 seasons. All BCS conference opponents next season (granted they'll have to add 2 to that list to compensate for TCU not joining the Big East considering I doubt the ACC move will occur in time for next year at this point) as well as the one after that.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Texas A&M has fired Mike Sherman...thats about what 4 years too late??....i still think the NCAA should take over the scheduling, to provide us the fans the best games out of conference week in and week out...like one cupcake, and 3 decent or hard games, always been my feeling with that

I complained about Alabama OOC schedule a few pages back.

Michigan (in Arlington), Western Kentucky, Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic. Michigan is all fine and dandy, same with WKU, but this is Alabama, why can't the AD or whoever sets up the schedule get North Carolina, Miami, even Notre Dame down the road. #4 and #5 in total national titles, who I don't think have ever played. I hate that we have to play an FCS school every damn year, granted they get a good payday out of it.

Not exactly defending Alabama, but how many schools are willing to play a home-and-home with Penn State? And it's not exactly their fault that PSU isn't as good as they've been in the past.

Speaking of "the past", that's when many of these games are scheduled....years ago. When Georgia scheduled Colorado, the Buffaloes were in the midst of winning the Big XII's North Division. A few years later, when the games were finally played, Colorado had fallen on hard times.

It's not like these schools are filling out schedules just a few months before the games get played...they're done years in advance.

Penn State had all in all a rather mediocre 2000s decade by their standards, so I'm not sure how much water that claim holds.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Can you tell me when the last time Boise played two realy good teams (comparable to LSU and Arkansas) was? The last time Boise played two ranked teams in the regular season was 2008, and 2005 prior to that. It doesn't work for Boise because it's never happened

Can you tell me when the last time Boise played two realy good teams (comparable to LSU and Arkansas) was? The last time Boise played two ranked teams in the regular season was 2008, and 2005 prior to that. It doesn't work for Boise because it's never happened

No, the last time Boise played two ranked teams in the regular season was 2011.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived