2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Texas A&M has fired Mike Sherman...thats about what 4 years too late??....i still think the NCAA should take over the scheduling, to provide us the fans the best games out of conference week in and week out...like one cupcake, and 3 decent or hard games, always been my feeling with that

NCAA lacks the power to do so. And has since the College Football Association days.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Texas A&M has fired Mike Sherman...thats about what 4 years too late??....i still think the NCAA should take over the scheduling, to provide us the fans the best games out of conference week in and week out...like one cupcake, and 3 decent or hard games, always been my feeling with that

NCAA lacks the power to do so. And has since the College Football Association days.

how can they not?? im kinda not in the loop on that rule, they make the rules right??

how can they not?? im kinda not in the loop on that rule, they make the rules right??

NCAA v. Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma permanently broke the NCAA's power over TV and non-Conference scheduling.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think there is also a distinct difference between a Boise win in their out of conference schedule, vs. say if Boise were an SEC school and had to REGULARLY play SEC games. If they played SEC week in, week out, I think they would be a good team, but they would probably be an 8-4, 9-3 squad, or something more along those lines. It's a different story when you have to do it on the regular. I know that doesn't discount the opener since both schools had all offseason to prep for it, but Boise wouldn't go their usual 12-0, 11-1, or 10-2 in the SEC.

Yeah maybe if they were in the SEC East... look at the SEC West, every team this year (you can even count aTm) has been ranked except for Ole Miss. Any team can compete for one game on their schedule every year, especially if it's at the beginning or the end. Going through an 8 game SEC schedule though with the type of athletes that they have would not be pretty if they were in the SEC West.

Arkansas is the most overrated team in the nation. There is a reason they got killed by Bama and LSU. You guys have 2 good team: Bama and LSU (and maybe Georgia, we'll see). The others have 10 wins because of how bad the rest of the SEC is, and because of how bad their OOC's were. Boise would lose toe Bama and LSU, but they would beat the crap out of Arkansas.

There is a reason they got killed? Umm lets see... they are BY FAR the two best teams in the nation and it was an away game both times... yeah, you're right. They are clearly overrated by getting blown out by the teams that were in the "game of the century". Boise State lost at home to a mediocre TCU team, Arkansas' only loses are two the teams ranked 1 and 2. Enough said. Auburn's loses are to teams that are all currently ranked and have been ranked in the top 13 at some point this season. Boise has given up over 20 ppg against half of their schedule to absolutely subpar teams.

Anyways, this is not the point of this thread. If you would like to continue this debate you can PM me.

Notable Arkansas results

Sat, Sept 17

vs

Troy

W38-28

Sat, Sept 24

@

#3 Alabama

L38-14

Sat, Oct 22

@

Ole Miss

W29-24

(Yes, the same team that got whacked by Louisiana Tech)

Sat, Oct 29

@

Vanderbilt

W31-28

Fri, Nov 25

@

#1 LSU

L41-17

Arkansas has beating two, I repeat, TWO teams with a winning record. TWO! They took advantage of a weak schedule, hence the 10 wins, but when they faced elite competition, they faltered. Talent wise, this is a 8-4 team.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wait a minute, so it's ok for Alabama to play 1 or 2 really good teams a year, and then play bad teams, but when Boise does it, it's not?

Can you tell me when the last time Boise played two realy good teams (comparable to LSU and Arkansas) was? The last time Boise played two ranked teams in the regular season was 2008, and 2005 prior to that. It doesn't work for Boise because it's never happened

No, the last time Boise played two ranked teams in the regular season was 2011.

Yeah, but TCU was unranked when they played and would still be unranked had they not beaten Boise State since TCU doesn't have any other noteworthy wins. So they played Georgia in a pseudo road game, which is somewhat impressive, and TCU in a down year. Not overly impressive. Every other team on the schedule was a team they should beat handily. Like I said, if you're one of the ten best teams in the country, what difference does it makes if you play the 60th best team in the country or the 105th best team in the country... you stand zero chance of losing that game regardless. But obviously, playing the 60th best team is better for your SOS. Georgia Southern is an FCS team, so that probably hurts Alabama quite a bit when it comes to strength of schedule... but I'm sure they'd perform very well against any of the teams in the bottom half of the FBS.

IUe6Hvh.png

NCAA v. Board of Regents of University of Oklahoma permanently broke the NCAA's power over TV and non-Conference scheduling.

cant the ncaa, take away there sponsorship in that and all there $$$ in others sports as a blackmail method? and force them to be sponsored by the naia or play by out(ncaa) rules?

cant the ncaa, take away there sponsorship in that and all there $$$ in others sports as a blackmail method? and force them to be sponsored by the naia or play by out(ncaa) rules?

Would you shoot yourself in the gut to make the guy you are mugging hand over their wallet? This is roughly the same principle. The BCS AQs would simply respond by resurrecting the CFA and that's it for the NCAA.

Today, we are all otaku.

I think there is also a distinct difference between a Boise win in their out of conference schedule, vs. say if Boise were an SEC school and had to REGULARLY play SEC games. If they played SEC week in, week out, I think they would be a good team, but they would probably be an 8-4, 9-3 squad, or something more along those lines. It's a different story when you have to do it on the regular. I know that doesn't discount the opener since both schools had all offseason to prep for it, but Boise wouldn't go their usual 12-0, 11-1, or 10-2 in the SEC.

Yeah maybe if they were in the SEC East... look at the SEC West, every team this year (you can even count aTm) has been ranked except for Ole Miss. Any team can compete for one game on their schedule every year, especially if it's at the beginning or the end. Going through an 8 game SEC schedule though with the type of athletes that they have would not be pretty if they were in the SEC West.

Arkansas is the most overrated team in the nation. There is a reason they got killed by Bama and LSU. You guys have 2 good team: Bama and LSU (and maybe Georgia, we'll see). The others have 10 wins because of how bad the rest of the SEC is, and because of how bad their OOC's were. Boise would lose toe Bama and LSU, but they would beat the crap out of Arkansas.

There is a reason they got killed? Umm lets see... they are BY FAR the two best teams in the nation and it was an away game both times... yeah, you're right. They are clearly overrated by getting blown out by the teams that were in the "game of the century". Boise State lost at home to a mediocre TCU team, Arkansas' only loses are two the teams ranked 1 and 2. Enough said. Auburn's loses are to teams that are all currently ranked and have been ranked in the top 13 at some point this season. Boise has given up over 20 ppg against half of their schedule to absolutely subpar teams.

Anyways, this is not the point of this thread. If you would like to continue this debate you can PM me.

Notable Arkansas results

Sat, Sept 17

vs

Troy

W38-28

Sat, Sept 24

@

#3 Alabama

L38-14

Sat, Oct 22

@

Ole Miss

W29-24

Sat, Oct 29

@

Vanderbilt

W31-28

Fri, Nov 25

@

#1 LSU

L41-17

Arkansas has beating two, I repeat, TWO teams with a winning record. TWO! They took advantage of a weak schedule, hence the 10 wins, but when they faced elite competition, they faltered. Talent wise, this is a 8-4 team.

So instead of taking it to PM, you bring this from the Uniform Thread to here. Awesome.

Well, I'll bite. Arkansas isn't that good. They have a high-power offense and a lackluster defense. They definitely benefitted from their schedule and their abilites were shown when they had to play top teams.

I gotta ask though, how did this whole "Boise State vs. SEC" thing come up? And really who cares? IMO, it's a down-year across the board in college football, maybe recruiting's getting tougher and teams are becoming more even, I don't know. Boise State plays their schedule and Arkansas plays theirs. Arkansas is probably going to be playing in the Capitol One Bowl and Boise will be playing in one of they early bowl games. That's what they'll have to deal with if they play in a sub-par conference, lucky for them TCU will be gone and they can dominate the MW/CUSA.

Notable Arkansas results

Sat, Sept 17

vs

Troy

W38-28

Sat, Sept 24

@

#3 Alabama

L38-14

Sat, Oct 22

@

Ole Miss

W29-24

Sat, Oct 29

@

Vanderbilt

W31-28

Fri, Nov 25

@

#1 LSU

L41-17

So instead of taking it to PM, you bring this from the Uniform Thread to here. Awesome.

Well, I'll bite. Arkansas isn't that good. They have a high-power offense and a lackluster defense. They definitely benefitted from their schedule and their abilites were shown when they had to play top teams.

I gotta ask though, how did this whole "Boise State vs. SEC" thing come up? And really who cares? IMO, it's a down-year across the board in college football, maybe recruiting's getting tougher and teams are becoming more even, I don't know. Boise State plays their schedule and Arkansas plays theirs. Arkansas is probably going to be playing in the Capitol One Bowl and Boise will be playing in one of they early bowl games. That's what they'll have to deal with if they play in a sub-par conference, lucky for them TCU will be gone and they can dominate the MW/CUSA.

Boise State is the college football equivalent to Godwin's Law.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

There's no way in hell Jerry Jones lets Arkansas get away from the Cotton Bowl...

From my understanding, if Georgia doesn't win on Saturday, then they'll be in the Cotton Bowl. I'm not really sure who brings in more revenue, how they figure it out, or what.

Boise State is the college football equivalent to Godwin's Law.

Seems like SEC Football is as well.

The only way I see Arkansas not going to the Cotton Bowl is if they have future games scheduled at JerryWorld.

The Cotton Bowl usually takes an SEC West team, anyway. The Capital One Bowl generally takes an SEC East team.

Or played at JerryWorld already this season.

Today, we are all otaku.

SEC Bowl Predictions

BCS Championship: LSU (13-0) vs. Alabama (11-1)

Capital One Bowl: Arkansas (10-2) vs. Nebraska (9-3)

Outback Bowl: South Carolina (10-2) vs. Michigan State (10-3)

Cotton Bowl: Georgia (10-3) vs. Oklahoma State (10-2)

Chick-fil-A Bowl: Auburn (7-5) vs. Florida State (8-4)

Gator Bowl: Florida (6-6) vs. Ohio State (6-6)

Liberty Bowl: Vanderbilt (6-6) vs. Southern Miss (10-3) or Louisville (7-5)

Music City Bowl: Mississippi State (6-6) vs. Virginia (8-4)

BBVA Compass Bowl: N/A

The only way I see Arkansas not going to the Cotton Bowl is if they have future games scheduled at JerryWorld.

The Cotton Bowl usually takes an SEC West team, anyway. The Capital One Bowl generally takes an SEC East team.

I think you have that last bit confused with the Outback Bowl.

The CapitalOne Bowl is supposed to select the best non-BCS SEC team left in regards to record...or, if it wishes, a team within one game of that record. If LSU & Alabama are in the NCG, that means Arkansas or Carolina...unless they want to drop down to Georgia, which they certainly can.

The Outback Bowl and the Cotton Bowl are the same exact pick in terms of bowl selection. The Outback gets first selection from the East, and Cotton gets first selection from the West- unless they both agree on otherwise.

The CapitalOne Bowl, if they want Arkansas, will take Arkansas...however, I am sure money talks and Jerry has already "asked" the CapitalOne Bowl committee to step aside.

I think you have that last bit confused with the Outback Bowl.

The CapitalOne Bowl is supposed to select the best non-BCS SEC team left in regards to record...or, if it wishes, a team within one game of that record. If LSU & Alabama are in the NCG, that means Arkansas or Carolina...unless they want to drop down to Georgia, which they certainly can.

The Outback Bowl and the Cotton Bowl are the same exact pick in terms of bowl selection. The Outback gets first selection from the East, and Cotton gets first selection from the West- unless they both agree on otherwise.

The CapitalOne Bowl, if they want Arkansas, will take Arkansas...however, I am sure money talks and Jerry has already "asked" the CapitalOne Bowl committee to step aside.

The money is more important in terms of what comes from the conference in terms of travel. The Capital One team receives $200K more for travel than the Cotton Bowl team. On the other hand, the drive for fans to Orlando is three times as long.

Capital One no longer pays for team hotel and travel.

Would you shoot yourself in the gut to make the guy you are mugging hand over their wallet? This is roughly the same principle. The BCS AQs would simply respond by resurrecting the CFA and that's it for the NCAA.

so there is no way the ncaa can force the AQ conferences to play by there rules??? if not....PLAYOFF more then i ever wanted.

Archived