2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recruiting polls mean very little IMO. With the right coaching, so-called "2-star" recruits can look like blue chips. That's what guys like Petersen and Leach have done to great success. And the star rankings seem to be based more on where a recruit is from and who's recruiting them, not on actual talent. Kellen Moore was a 3-star quarterback coming out of high school. Looking back on his career, I think we can all agree that ranking was way off-base.

And it's not like collecting a bunch of blue chips guarantees national titles and BCS bowl wins, either. Florida State, Miami, and Notre Dame prove that every year now.

You're making my point about my previous stance on Richt....the coaching was not supporting the recruiting talent that's coming in. Maybe Richt is turning the corner with this season (good season....not great, but they did what they needed to do), but now he has to build on it. He absolutely cannot follow up this season with an 8-win (or less) season in 2012.

Schools like Alabama, LSU, Florida, and USC had coaches that were getting the most out of their talent. For the last few seasons, Georgia's coaching staff wasn't getting the most out of the players they were recruiting.

Florida State, Miami, and Notre Dame wasn't getting the coaching output, and thus the reason why Bobby Bowden, Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Charlie Weis, and Ty Willingham were either forced out or fired shortly after being hired.

Recruiting polls mean very little IMO. With the right coaching, so-called "2-star" recruits can look like blue chips. That's what guys like Petersen and Leach have done to great success. And the star rankings seem to be based more on where a recruit is from and who's recruiting them, not on actual talent. Kellen Moore was a 3-star quarterback coming out of high school. Looking back on his career, I think we can all agree that ranking was way off-base.

And it's not like collecting a bunch of blue chips guarantees national titles and BCS bowl wins, either. Florida State, Miami, and Notre Dame prove that every year now.

And 2 star guys still lose if you do not have a kicker. Koetter, Hawkins, Peterson aside...they still lose. Star ratings are not just for NCAA, but also for NFL potential to a degree.

That was fairly big. Look at the last 40+ winners and not many come from also ran schools.

Rogers- South Carolina

Flutie- BC

Sanders- Ok State

Ware- Houston

Detmer- BYU

Even a decade ago, Tomlinson was on a 10-1 TCU team and finished 4th to Weinke, Heupel, and Brees.

Tony Dorsett still looks as if he could play and Mike Rosier seemed to be honoring the late Joe Frazier.

Archived