2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

East Carolina invents "Virtual Bowl"

That's not even the wackiest part:

East Carolina University Athletics wants to show the college football world the passion of the Pirate Nation, even in a "bowless" year for the university. The Pirate Club is excited to announce the 2011 Virtual Bowl. Our challenge will be to sell more tickets than our bowl-bound Conference USA opponents and bowl-bound teams from the Big East. The Virtual Bowl appeal will go through December 23.

Tickets for the Virtual Bowl are $50 a piece and can be purchase by calling the Pirate Club Offices at 252-737-4540 or by going online at ecupirateclub.com. Virtual Bowl tickets purchased will be tax deductable and donors will receive one priority point for every ticket purchased. All proceeds from the Virtual Bowl will go towards the "Step-Up To The Highest Level Campaign". Go Pirates!

Of course, there's no game scheduled, & even worse, there's no event scheduled. So basically, ECU is asking their fans to give them $50 for nothing. Wow.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern right now is the timeline of his different jobs. 4 schools in 6 years now (Rice, Tulsa, Pitt, ASU), and was only at Pitt the one year. One has to wonder how long he'd stick around. He doesn't look to have many West Coast ties, which is obviously important to recruiting in the Pac. Hell, they said they were looking for someone who could finally win the recruiting battle in Arizona itself, not necessarily vs UA but against the everyone else that recruits AZ.

As a general note, this is the guy who, in the middle of contract negotiations for a raise/extension at Rice, finalized his taking of the Tulsa job during a bathroom break, then signed the damn raise anyway.

So umm...the whole "ask permission from Steve Pederson (May dogs feast on his entrails) to interview for ASU, get refused, resign, take ASU job (in a matter of hours), and then have athletic department forward a goodbye text message to his players" is kind of normal for him. I am also amused at the whole "denounce assistants for disloyalty when they left for Rich Rod and Arizona" and less than 24 hours ago was preaching about loyalty to boosters at a Pitt event.

tl;dr: Mr. Graham is QUITE the piece of work. And won't be at Arizona State long at all likely. Why was June Jones so bad again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Todd Graham pulled a Petrino.

"I have resigned my position at Pitt in the best interest of my family to pursue the head coaching position at Arizona State. Coaching there has always been a dream of ours and we have family there. The timing of the circumstances have prohibited me from telling you this directly. I now am on my way to Tempe to continue those discussions. God Bless. Coach Graham."

That was the text message he sent to his players, which is how they found out that he was gone.

"I have resigned my position at Pitt in the best interest of my family to pursue the head coaching position at Arizona State. Coaching there has always been a dream of ours and we have family there. The timing of the circumstances have prohibited me from telling you this directly. I now am on my way to Tempe to continue those discussions. God Bless. Coach Graham."

That was the text message he sent to his players, which is how they found out that he was gone.

That can't possibly be A TEXT message ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm gonna set the over/under on his stay at ASU at 3 months. Any takers?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

East Carolina invents "Virtual Bowl"

That's not even the wackiest part:

East Carolina University Athletics wants to show the college football world the passion of the Pirate Nation, even in a "bowless" year for the university. The Pirate Club is excited to announce the 2011 Virtual Bowl. Our challenge will be to sell more tickets than our bowl-bound Conference USA opponents and bowl-bound teams from the Big East. The Virtual Bowl appeal will go through December 23.

Tickets for the Virtual Bowl are $50 a piece and can be purchase by calling the Pirate Club Offices at 252-737-4540 or by going online at ecupirateclub.com. Virtual Bowl tickets purchased will be tax deductable and donors will receive one priority point for every ticket purchased. All proceeds from the Virtual Bowl will go towards the "Step-Up To The Highest Level Campaign". Go Pirates!

Of course, there's no game scheduled, & even worse, there's no event scheduled. So basically, ECU is asking their fans to give them $50 for nothing. Wow.

It's actually pretty ingenious from a marketing perspective...your program gains money and as a booster, you gain priority points for getting better seats. If you take away the silliness of the "bowl game" aspect, it is a good idea for a fundraiser. Every program asks for donations towards a certain sport (I get calls regularly), but you get nothing in return for your donation except for the satisfaction of "helping". At least, this way, the guy planning to donate a couple grand anyways will get a boost in his opportunity for better seats.

This idea would translate better at a larger university where stadium size and limited seat location availability are present.

I say they challenge Duke to a scrimmage "non-bowl game" and have something to play for. Is there NCAA ruling against that since they don't govern postseason play in football?

It's actually pretty ingenious from a marketing perspective...your program gains money and as a booster, you gain priority points for getting better seats. If you take away the silliness of the "bowl game" aspect, it is a good idea for a fundraiser. Every program asks for donations towards a certain sport (I get calls regularly), but you get nothing in return for your donation except for the satisfaction of "helping". At least, this way, the guy planning to donate a couple grand anyways will get a boost in his opportunity for better seats.

This idea would translate better at a larger university where stadium size and limited seat location availability are present.

I say they challenge Duke to a scrimmage "non-bowl game" and have something to play for. Is there NCAA ruling against that since they don't govern postseason play in football?

ECU was the same school who could barely sell their 10,000 tickets to the Military Bowl at RFK last year.

As for a scrimmage, they NCAA still has rules regarding practice time and when one's season can be played including bowl games. (now, if the game was played outside the USA, they could have been eligible for a waiver, but it is far too late.)

In coaching news, Turner Gill goes from Kansas to Liberty. I guess he really didn't want to pay the COBRA rate for health insurance which KU was telling him.

The Gus Malzhan to Arkansas State gives hima big a$$ free house and "unspeicified" cars from a local dealer. I guess that is a reason to go back home and re-energize your offensive rep.

Wow. 20 minutes till the first bowl game. I got to say, it's been a great ride. Through all of the ups and downs, and thrills and sadness, despite all of the scandels and loss, I loved it all. And a lot of it is thanks to you guys. I still can't believe it was months ago when we were talking about who would win Oregon v LSU. And now, it's time for the final guantlet. The last dance. Bowl season. Have a great bowl season guys, and may the best teams win!

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I haven't seen a Wyoming Cowboys game on TV since 2004 against Utah, and even that wasn't totally seen. I think ABC was having problems, or something happened at War Memorial Stadium.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I haven't seen a Wyoming Cowboys game on TV since 2004 against Utah, and even that wasn't totally seen. I think ABC was having problems, or something happened at War Memorial Stadium.

That was the infamous (to Utah fans) power outage game...War Memorial went dark for 99 minutes on a bitter cold November night

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

They're fun to watch when you ignore the massive hit school athletic budgets and beyond take from them. Why do today's students need to subsidize obscure chambers of commerce?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They're fun to watch when you ignore the massive hit school athletic budgets and beyond take from them. Why do today's students need to subsidize obscure chambers of commerce?

You raise good points that most people don't want to acknowledge.

"Cause we like it and NEVERMIND ANYTHING ELSE" is your answer, by the way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have a feeling Wyoming is going to win this game. This punt is going to turn the game around.

You raise good points that most people don't want to acknowledge.

"Cause we like it and NEVERMIND ANYTHING ELSE" is your answer, by the way.

Gentlemen, how can we go on about exploited athletes and all the money being made by college football programs in one thread only to turn around and talk about how they're getting screwed by bowl games in another?

"Cause we like it and NEVERMIND ANYTHING ELSE" is your answer, by the way. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I wasn't talking about athletes...

Today, we are all otaku.

So the students are responsible for making a bowl trip (or athletic program entirely) possible? I thought it was the money that I contribute as a booster, TV/radio deals, and other donations and sponsorships?

You have already made this point before and while some schools do take a slight loss for a bowl game, there are many rewards to reap from them that aren't directly seen on an accountant's spreadsheet.

If you wanted to look at it this way, some schools should just shut down their athletic departments entirely. Why have a baseball team, soccer team, track team, or basically any team other than football- they are only contributing to losses in the program.

A lot of the losses come from the school accepting a bowl bid and the fans not showing up- so they have to buy back the tickets. Don't blame the bowl system, blame those fans.

Archived