2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

A lot of the losses come from the school accepting a bowl bid and the fans not showing up- so they have to buy back the tickets. Don't blame the bowl system, blame those fans.

So as an Ohio State alum and fan, I should get the blame for not wanting to drop a couple grand on a trip to the Gator Bowl to watch two 6-6 teams? Interesting.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of the losses come from the school accepting a bowl bid and the fans not showing up- so they have to buy back the tickets. Don't blame the bowl system, blame those fans.

So as an Ohio State alum and fan, I should get the blame for not wanting to drop a couple grand on a trip to the Gator Bowl to watch two 6-6 teams? Interesting.

In a way. I don't see anyone else to point the finger at. You want your team to do well and you want your team to land a great bowl game to finish up the season...then when it's prime time to support them, you back off and that school is put into a situation where they have to financially cover for you.

Who else can be blamed here? I hate we are even looking at it as the Blame Game, but I didn't bring that up.

You can't have it both ways- hope your team does well but then bitch about the losses your program takes for going to the bowl game you were pulling for them to reach. Just doesn't make sense to me. No one forces these teams into bowl games...there may be influence and pressure- but they can always decline. I'm just saying don't blame the bowl games- blame the athletic program and their fans/boosters.

In a way. I don't see anyone else to point the finger at. You want your team to do well and you want your team to land a great bowl game to finish up the season...then when it's prime time to support them, you back off and that school is put into a situation where they have to financially cover for you.

Who else can be blamed here? I hate we are even looking at it as the Blame Game, but I didn't bring that up.

You can't have it both ways- hope your team does well but then bitch about the losses your program takes for going to the bowl game you were pulling for them to reach. Just doesn't make sense to me. No one forces these teams into bowl games...there may be influence and pressure- but they can always decline. I'm just saying don't blame the bowl games- blame the athletic program and their fans/boosters.

I get what you're trying to say but, and it's a rather big but, fans have zero responsibility in this. Period. Bowl games, just like any other entertainment endeavor, are put on with the hope of getting people to watch the show they're putting on. Any failure is the sole responsibility of, for lack of a better term, the proprietor. Bowl games are no different than movies, concerts, TV shows, etc. Using your argument, if an entertainment endeavor fails to live up to expectations, the fans should shoulder the blame. Sorry, but that dawg don't hunt.

BB52Big.jpg

Not to hate on espn but twice they've messed up the on screen graphics 1st saying the Wyo qb had a record from the Mac and now putting a different logo for ul lafayette tis the season for screwups

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

But they won't because this is the only chance 18-22 year olds have to get free video game systems/other nice things and NOT have it be an impermissible benefit. Yeah, you're going to get that voted down a lot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They're fun to watch when you ignore the massive hit school athletic budgets and beyond take from them. Why do today's students need to subsidize obscure chambers of commerce?

So the students are responsible for making a bowl trip (or athletic program entirely) possible? I thought it was the money that I contribute as a booster, TV/radio deals, and other donations and sponsorships?

You have already made this point before and while some schools do take a slight loss for a bowl game, there are many rewards to reap from them that aren't directly seen on an accountant's spreadsheet.

If you wanted to look at it this way, some schools should just shut down their athletic departments entirely. Why have a baseball team, soccer team, track team, or basically any team other than football- they are only contributing to losses in the program.

Connecticut lost a cool million on the Fiesta Bowl last season and MOST low-level Bowls end up being net money losers for those schools-which compounds existing structural issues of being a mid-major in the first place.

As for the students, the students do (involuntarily) kick in money to most athletic departments. And that means they will be approached to involuntarily cover losses on Bowl trips.

As for rewards, the only one I see is the 15 extra practices and player swag-the former of which the NCAA could just grant to every team at this point, and the latter which serves to further illustrate the hypocrisy of "impermissible benefits".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dang. 345 team rushing yards, and USU still can't come out on top. Oh well, I'm just happy they actually made it to a bowl game. It's been a great season for the Aggies, in comparison to their usual crapfests.

And congrats to Ohio - I gather that this is their first bowl win, correct? Wow, definitely enjoy this one, Bobcats (if you're reading McCarthy, congrats to you and any other Ohio alumns/fans on the board).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Reason #5,492 why the bowl system sucks: I love college football, yet I'm far more excited for NBA preseason games than I am for most bowls this year. Every year, without fail, college football ends in an anticlimactic thud, and it's pretty depressing.

So since 1999 when Boise State went to their first FBS bowl game at home (their Big West qualified game) was Reason #1, but the other 5,487 reasons are also personal, since being out of the BCS can only be made so many times.

And we know you are a Clipper sprained ankle away for firing a NBA coach and hating the league.

You know, for a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in 40 years, UL-Lafayette is sure showing itself to be a very good team against San Diego State.

Oh, BTW: The MAC is already 2-0 in bowl games thanks to the Ohio win (Congrats also go out to McCarthy, since he probably celebrating the first ever bowl win for the Bobcats [which even shocks me to learn that was their first ever bowl win]).

Reason #5,492 why the bowl system sucks: I love college football, yet I'm far more excited for NBA preseason games than I am for most bowls this year. Every year, without fail, college football ends in an anticlimactic thud, and it's pretty depressing.

Buzz kill. And even with a playoff, the bowls won't be going anywhere.

Just curious, what is reason number 3,371? :P

BB52Big.jpg

The Potato Bowl was a perfect example of how entertaining the "little bowls" can be. Great game.

But Mr. Potato Head could have been a better choice for referee with how they nearly bungled the last minute.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Buzz kill. And even with a playoff, the bowls won't be going anywhere.

Just curious, what is reason number 3,371? :P

It had to do with Boise State.

So since 1999 when Boise State went to their first FBS bowl game at home (their Big West qualified game) was Reason #1, but the other 5,487 reasons are also personal, since being out of the BCS can only be made so many times.

And we know you are a Clipper sprained ankle away for firing a NBA coach and hating the league.

DFWABEL's laying it on kind of thick, but yeah, this shouldn't be surprising. The Boise State's season is over, while the Clippers are starting fresh with potential to do something special. Of course Lights Out would want to switch gears.

Kind of like how I've stopped watching NFL since the Bills tanked their season, and how NCAA and NBA basketball is now more appealing to me. It has nothing to do with the innate qualities of the sport that I've given up, just that my personal stake is no longer there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Potato Bowl was a perfect example of how entertaining the "little bowls" can be. Great game.

But Mr. Potato Head could have been a better choice for referee with how they nearly bungled the last minute.

Yeah, but they took the time to get it right. And they got it right.

BB52Big.jpg

As is this New Orleans Bowl.

San Diego State has overcome an 16-point deficit in the 3rd quarter, and the Aztecs lead 30-29 over Louisiana-Lafayette with 35 seconds left and a two-point conversion up coming. If SDSU wins, it'll be its 3rd consecutive double digit comeback win.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

EDIT: 2-pointer no good. Receiver caught it at the back of the endzone, but had already stepped out before catching it.

EDIT 2: WOW. ULL gets a big play down to the SDSU 41-yard line with 7 secs left. Gotta get one more play/1st for a makable field goal. They get to the 38 and out of bounds. 55-yd kick.

EDIT 3: WOW. WOW. SDSU gets a 5-yard penalty. 50-yard kick is... GOOD! HOLY CRAP! Ragin Cajuns win!

What an awesome game. Happy Bowl Week to all and to all a good Bowl Week!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Three "little bowls" today. Two excellent games. Pointless or not, too many bowls or not, we were treated to two pretty entertaining college football games today. I can't wait for Tuesday night and another pointless bowl game.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived