2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I bet that redneck who poisoned Auburn's trees wishes he could be out celebratin' in Tuscaloosa with the rest of his cousins tonight.

Mebbe, but I think he's quite happy on Bourbon Street right now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet that redneck who poisoned Auburn's trees wishes he could be out celebratin' in Tuscaloosa with the rest of his cousins tonight.

Ya think he's out poisoning the French Quarter as we speak?

6uXNWAo.png

Ya think he's out poisoning the French Quarter as we speak?

I don't think its physically possible to poison Louisianans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Conversation in this thread with you guys becomes impossible at times...I want to say certain things but I know I will only get labeled as an SEC homer.

Newsflash: you are an SEC homer. No need to worry about being labeled. That ship sailed quite a while ago. Seriously, what else do you talk about in this thread? Ever? You talk about the conference more than you talk about your own team. It doesn't make you a bad person. So say what's on your mind.

The problem isn't me being a fan of the SEC and a team in that conference...it is all of you who strongly hate the conference simply because of it's success.

If you knew me personally, you would know I am one of the most fair and balanced sports fans you have ever met. I'm sorry that I can recognize strength and dominance when I see it. Fact is, right now- you are either a fan of the SEC or totally hate it because your team didn't get a "fair" shot or are in a non-AQ conference. Alabama didn't get here because they were in the SEC. They got here because Okie State, Stanford, Oklahoma, Houston, and whoever else blew their shot.

The SEC hatred spewed on this board gets to a pitiful point to where it makes me think I am talking with a bunch of people who never played the game and only have sat in the stands their whole lives thinking they know the game of football.

I mean really, must I refrain from all SEC talk? I don't push my team simply in the fear of getting attacked of riding the coat tail of our own conference. I think the serious problem lies within the hatred and fail to realize that JUST MAYBE the two best teams in the nation are from the same division in the same conference that owns the last 5 national championships.

I will state, once again, that I would have rather seen an SEC vs Whoever national championship game simply to ignore this whole "ESS EEE SEE" (copyright rams80) battle that ensues here.

Jesus, someone cue the violins. :rolleyes:

1. First off, I don't know how many more times I have to tell you this before it finally sinks in, but I'll try it yet again; I LIKE SEC FOOTBALL! For my money, nothing beats it. So how about backing off the silly absolutes? I also happen to think that these two teams are indeed the best two teams in the country. My argument against a rematch all along has been that, if you weren't going to give Michigan a second chance in 2007, you can't simply ignore that precedent by tapping Alabama this season. (Speaking of "fair and balanced", do I get any points for defending Michigan?)

2. Really? Are you really playing that card? You don't have to be a writer to know a book sucks. You don't need to be a director or actor to know what a bad movie is. And so on... To my knowledge, The Admiral has never been in a band in his life. I've been a musician for 35 years. I'll be the first to admit that The Admiral knows a helluva lot more about music than I do. So spare me the attempt at big timing us with the "I'm an ex-player" nonsense. (Did you play SEC football? College football?)

3. No. Not at all. I just think it's a little hypocritical of you to constantly taunt Rams80 (something you've admitted you do) only to get all weepy and hurt when people do the same to you. Again, being a homer doesn't mean you're a bad person or that people hate you.

4. Just like everyone else. It's an internet message board dude. Is it really worth getting this worked up over?

BB52Big.jpg

McCarron is the offensive MVP? Bull. :censored:.

McCarron was great.

He didn't score a Touchdown so what? Trent scored but that was his biggest run, Eddie Lacy was better.

McCarron played very well tonight. Sure, he was a "checkdown" master the first quarter, but they were moving the ball.

Alabama was 3-13 on 3rd down conversions, but it really did not seem like it since they attempted seven FGs.

McCarron is the offensive MVP? Bull. :censored:.

McCarron was great.

He didn't score a Touchdown so what? Trent scored but that was his biggest run, Eddie Lacy was better.

I guess he did hold all those field goals...

Those were very key. ^_^

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The SEC hatred spewed on this board gets to a pitiful point to where it makes me think I am talking with a bunch of people who never played the game and only have sat in the stands their whole lives thinking they know the game of football.

I mean really, must I refrain from all SEC talk? I don't push my team simply in the fear of getting attacked of riding the coat tail of our own conference. I think the serious problem lies within the hatred and fail to realize that JUST MAYBE the two best teams in the nation are from the same division in the same conference that owns the last 5 national championships.

I will state, once again, that I would have rather seen an SEC vs Whoever national championship game simply to ignore this whole "ESS EEE SEE" (copyright rams80) battle that ensues here.

You've mentioned this twice now, so I have to ask: Where and how long did you play?

The problem really isn't the SEC or the fan hatred, it's that word "maybe." It's easy to accept that the two best teams come from your conference because you're a fan of that conference, but you have no way of knowing, the voters have no way of knowing, the fans have no way of knowing, the coaches have no way of knowing, the players themselves have no way of knowing, their mothers have no way of knowing...you get my point? You can point to the past all you want, but you're only going to bring out more people who argue against it. The past doesn't mean a whole lot once you get on the field. None of the stats do once the game starts, you know that.

So, maybe the SEC is the best conference in college football, or maybe they benefit from the idea that the SEC is the best conference in college football. Maybe LSU would have mopped the floor with OK State or maybe the Cowboys offense is for real and they outscore the Tigers. Maybe 'bama is the best team in the country, or maybe they'd get blown out by USC.

Maybe you ignore the SEC battle anyway and celebrate a 6th SEC team winning a BCS title?

or maybe they benefit from the idea that the SEC is the best conference in college football.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

maybe they benefit from the idea that the SEC is the best conference in college football.

There's no maybe about it. The only reason why this matchup happened is because the media is firmly in the SEC's corner.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. All the media ever talks about is how amazing a powerhouse the SEC is, thusly the great players gravitate to it. Thusly it perpetuates on and on.

Because there's no playoff system there's no great upset stories, and no hope for any other mid majors to stake a claim for themselves since the BCS will never acknowledge their existence. So off we go on another decade of the same 20 college football powerhouses getting a shot at the "national title" that takes place 2 months after the damn season ends.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This was the worst possible outcome for the BCS.

Alabama maybe the National Champion but they are far from being undisputed and if that is the goal of the BCS they have once again failed in that regard.

I don't know how many if any changes to the BCS are going to take place but I can tell you the room this changes get discussed in is going to be extremely tense. I think there is going to be alot of yelling and screaming involved over how the current system led to this outcome.

The fact that Alabama won gives credit to the argument that a college doesn't have to win its title game in order to be a National Champion. The ratings of this game I would imagine are going to be downright awful which is going to give credit to the idea that people have both rejected the idea of the game being legitimate as whole and rejected the idea that this particular game was going to prove something regardless of who won. Both of these points will help the plus one argument. The small conferences are going to be pissed off over the fact that if the BCS drops covering every game outside of the National Championship it will effectively end any chance for them at making a major bowl game, because all those bowl are going to do is sign exclusive contracts with the power conferences.

Its just going to be a fantastic mess.

I think there are a few teams that would have beaten LSU tonight. OK State, Stanford, Oregon, (homer pick) Wisconsin...some others. These teams would have scored enough points and their offense was just hapless. I know Alabama has a great D, and I don't think those teams get the shut out, but I think most of 'em get the W.

I don't like the BCS, but given that it exists, this rematch was not a travesty. OK State beat more tough opponents, but psssst; beat Iowa State.

I think Alabama is probably the best team in the country. They should have won the first game and I think they proved it tonight.

I love that this is going to build momentum toward the BCS's downfall and I'd love a split national championship to give it even more of a boost. However, if I had a vote, I'd vote for Bama.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Way to stay objective, Bobby Hebert.

After Miles made an opening statement, the moderator opened the floor to questions. The first came from Bobby Hebert, a local broadcaster and former Saints quarterback, whose son, T-Bob Hebert, plays center and guard for L.S.U.

Hebert started, according to the transcript: ?Coach, did you ever consider bringing in Jarrett Lee, considering that you weren?t taking any chances on the field? Now, I know Alabama?s defense is dominant. But, come on, that?s ridiculous, five first downs. I mean, so it?s almost an approach, I?ll tell you from the fans? standpoint, that how can you not maybe push the ball down the field and bring in Jarrett Lee??

He continued with his ?question,? later, again according to the transcript, adding, ?I know the pass rush of Alabama, but there?s no reason why in five first downs ? you have a great defense, L.S.U. is a great defense, but that?s ridiculous.?

At that point, the moderator interrupted, asking, ?Do you have a question??

Hebert responded: ?That?s the question. Do you think you should have pushed the football more down field??

Miles answered: ?I think if you watch our calls that we did throw the football down the field. We didn?t necessarily get the football down the field.?

I don't know about you, but I can't bring myself to say that Alabama is the legitimate National Champion.

They didn't win their conference OR their division. LSU won their conference... so did Oklahoma State and Oregon. Those two teams would be far more deserving of being considered 'National Champions' then a team that, for all intents and purposes, finished third overall in the SEC (Behind LSU and East Division winner Georgia).

I would love to see a playoff, but that will never happen in my lifetime (or anyone else's for that matter).

So far, I have yet to see a compelling difference from the last game that required a rematch to settle. Oklahoma State got hosed.

A month ago, you said you weren't going to watch the game.

What made you change your mind?

Seriously, Jarrett Lee chatted with an agent last night. That has to be it.

That's gonna be one unemployed agent soon!

I don't like the BCS, but given that it exists, this rematch was not a travesty. OK State beat more tough opponents, but psssst; beat Iowa State.

Psst, win your conference. Yes, that means you, Bama.

College football is different. It's based on the body of work. Not having to play in your own conference's championship game is not analagous to letting the Jets into this year's super bowl despite missing the playoffs. (beside, you don't have to win your 4-team NFL division anyway).

College football is weird...after the season, Bama had lost once; to the #1 team. Okie State may have been the better team, but in a world with no margin for error, you don't want to lose to Iowa State.

In college football (much like college hoops) I don't think not winning your conference needs to be an eliminator...they were still viewed as the #2 team in the country. Turns out, they were probably the best.

FWIW, I wish they'd have won the first game and we'd have found a way to have an Okie State vs. Bama game. That would have been interesting.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived