2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not read a single posting in this thread so it may have been covered...

I live in Michigan and the U of M fans are celebrating with a hint of sexual delight the downfall of OSU and the departure of Tressel and Pryor.

My question to U of M fans is: How does the debacle at OSU make U of M a better football team (not better than OSU per se but just a better as a whole)

It's nothing to do with a team being better or not. It's just rivalry. You can bet UNC would be partying for a week straight if the NCAA slapped Duke with stiff penalties and I've said my schtick before about all the times ASU's gotten in trouble with the NCAA.

Actually people here in Michigan are saying this virtually guarantees a Big 10 title and Rose Bowl birth for this season.

Where have you been hearing that...? I have not heard anyone say anything close to resembling that. Even the most optimistic Michigan fans I know are saying 9-3, which is far from a lock from a B10 title. The Big Ten will be tough this year. Nebraska looks good, Sparty has some nice talent, and Wisconsin looks solid with the addition of Russell Wilson at QB from NC State.

Michigan won't be as bad as some people think. Denard Robinson is the first starting QB returning for the following season since Chad Henne. They're returning 19/22 starters on offense and defense. They won't be running Greg Robinson's clown defense. It actually appears they have a somewhat competent coaching staff. Right now I'm torn between 7-5 and 8-4, depending on how quickly Denard takes to the new offense. If he can take another major step like he did last year, I can see Michigan over-achieving and reaching 9-3. But personally, I think the beginning of the year will be really ugly from the offensive side of things... possibly even being blown out by Notre Dame.

Same here GFB, I am hearing the same stuff. I believe they will go 8-4, but if Denard clicks with the offense, 9-3 is totally achievable.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

We've had something like this happen three years in a row (Blount, Masoli, now possibly Harris).

That'll look real good to the NCAA.

I want to write a petition to nike to make the people who have been either arrested or broken NCAA rules to wear a pro combat inspired prison suit when they go to jail. I can see the marketing line now: This is our time (to serve)!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Cliff Harris has been suspended indefinitely by Coach Kelly.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The Oregon-Will Lyles connection just got a bit more interesting.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Not really since both Alabama and Auburn have also paid for similar services.

Someone can tell me the difference in what Lyles does and what EliteScouting , Southeast Scout , XOS or even Tom Lemming does since they all charge schools for information? Most of those services also fleece, err charge parents to promote their athlete as well.

Lyles openly talked about his former role with EliteScouting and this Oregon issue on the April 30 edition of the Jason Whitlock podcast and how he used EliteScouting's model to start his company.

I just said "interesting." This is a new angle on the story. I was trying to be as neutral as possible for once.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

in Big East/Least/Beast news, Rutgers is announcing naming rights to Rutgers Stadium tomorrow. I heard something about it being called High Point Stadium, but we'll see. Also, basketball makes the conference more money than football, which is sorta not a surprise but still deviating from the norm in college athletics.

We now return to your normally scheduled Pac 12/Boise State/SEC discussion

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

There are no maximum charge which a service can charge as well. I would not be surprised that Elite Scouting upset with Lyles since he was in charge of TX, LA, and OK for Elite their initial year working in those states before Lyles left to form his own company. .

From the NCAA Manual:

13.14.3 R ecruiting or Scouting Services.

An institution may subscribe to a recruiting or scouting service

involving prospective student-athletes, provided the institution does not purchase more than one annual

subscription to a particular service and the service: (Adopted: 1/1/02, Revised: 1/16/10)

A- Is made available to all institutions desiring to subscribe and at the same fee rate for all subscribers;

B- Publicly identifies all applicable rates;

C- Disseminates information (e.g., reports, profiles) about prospective student-athletes at least four times per

calendar year;

D- Publicly identifies the geographical scope of the service (e.g., local, regional, national) and reflects broad-based

coverage of the geographical area in the information it disseminates;

E- Provides individual analysis beyond demographic information or rankings for each prospective student-athlete

in the information it disseminates; (Revised: 4/13/10)

F- Provides access to samples or previews of the information it disseminates before purchase of a subscription;

and

G- Provides video that is restricted to regularly scheduled (regular-season) high school, preparatory school or

two-year college contests and for which the institution made no prior arrangements for recording. (Note: This

provision is applicable only if the subscription includes video services.)

13.14.3.1 Effect of Violation.

Violations of Bylaw 13.14.3 and its subsections shall be considered institutional

violations per Constitution 2.8.1; however, such violations shall not affect the prospective student-athlete?s

eligibility. (Adopted: 8/5/04)

Surprising list. Colorado ranks #2 in the new Pac 12 of profitable football programs.

Where do the Pac-12 profits rank?

June, 20, 2011

Jun 20

5:52

PM ET

By Ted Miller

Kristi Dosh -- the SportsBizzMiss -- has sifted through the numbers to find out the most profitable college sports programs for the 2009-2010 school year -- football and men's basketball -- and the Pac-12 does not do so well.

No Pac-12 team ranked in the top-25 in terms of profitability. Utah football, apparently, isn't among the 140 most profitable programs, and that includes teams operating at over a $2 million deficit.

The new, $2.7 billion TV deal can't arrive soon enough, eh?

Texas football is No. 1 with a profit of $68.8 million after $25.1 million in expenses.

The number next to the school is national ranking.

27. Washington

Total revenue: $33,919,639

Expenses: $19,207,560

Profit: $14,712,079

32. Colorado

Total revenue: $26,233,929

Expenses: $12,558,503

Profit: $13,675,426

37. Arizona State

Total revenue: $29,587,236

Expenses: $17,977,987

Profit: $11,609,249

39. Oregon

Total revenue: $29,505,906

Expenses: $18,071,012

Profit: $11,434,894

40. Arizona

Total revenue: $24,398,253

Expenses: $13,685,931

Profit: $10,712,322

48. USC

Total revenue: $29,080,117

Expenses: $20,820,468

Profit: $8,259,649

53. Oregon State

Total revenue: $19,056,237

Expenses: $11,981,026

Profit: $7,075,211

55. UCLA

Total revenue: $22,298,856

Expenses: $15,261,681

Profit: $7,037,175

66. California

Total revenue: $24,421,437

Expenses: $18,519,523

Profit: $5,901,914

82. Stanford

Total revenue: $21,309,949

Expenses: $17,236,945

Profit: $4,073,004

86. Washington State

Total revenue: $12,754,541

Expenses: $9,181,495

Profit: $3,573,046

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

in Big East/Least/Beast news, Rutgers is announcing naming rights to Rutgers Stadium tomorrow. I heard something about it being called High Point Stadium, but we'll see. Also, basketball makes the conference more money than football, which is sorta not a surprise but still deviating from the norm in college athletics.

We now return to your normally scheduled Pac 12/Boise State/SEC discussion

Men's basketball at Rutgers is horrible. Are you sure they didn't combine women's and men's basketball?

Tradition doesn't piss away $25 grand on obsolete scouting information.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's official, Rutgers new stadium will be named High Point Solutions Stadium. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20948/rutgers-reaches-naming-rights-deal-for-stadium

High Solutions is located in Sparta NJ. I really hope the team intro includes a "THIS, IS, SPARTA!!!" scene in it. That would be amazing :grin:

Meanwhile, down in Tallahassee, optimism is at a fever pitch right now. Whether that's justifiable can be left to debate, but FOX Sports had this to say about the upcoming Seminoles season:

The Seminoles have just enough meat on their schedule to be national contenders. While they do play Miami, Clemson and Florida, they also get Duke and Virginia. They'll have to solidify their quarterback play, but if the offense stalls midfield, Dustin Hopkins (pictured) can bail them out ? he can kick 60-yard field goals with room to spare. That's a huge weapon to have. Last game: Beat South Carolina 26-17 in Chick-fil-A Bowl.

They then released their pre-season Top 10 rankings--check this out:

1. Florida State

2. LSU

3. Oregon

4. South Carolina

5. Oklahoma

6. Stanford

7. Boise State

8. Texas A&M

9. Alabama

10. Oklahoma State

Their list, not mine. :D

Now, I personally wouldn't sit FSU that high--hell, I don't even know if I'd place them in the Top 10 just yet, and that's solely due to Xavier Lee, who by all accounts is the incumbent starter at QB. FOX's exerpt mentioned the extra added weapon at kicker--of course they must've also forgot this is FLORIDA STATE they were talking about...where "wide right" happens. (A LOT.) All that said, Rivals.com did have the Seminoles' recruiting class ranked tops in the country, and FSU's defense (which has long been their pedigree-well, except for the past 10 or 11 years) also finished out tops in the nation. And for the three of us that care, we all saw the much-needed improvements and attention to detail ol' Jimbo instilled last year. Not to mention the 'Noles also ended up winning the ZFlorida state championship" last season, so when all that's added into the equation, especially considering the previous decade of relative futility, I can see how optimism might be at a fever pitch.

Still...I'm excited for the upcoming season, but I ain't buying into all the hype just yet. Either way...GO 'NOLES!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow... I can believe a Top 5 spot for Florida State, but Number 1?

Not yet. I think the offense needs some work before anyone can crown the 'Noles with the number 1 ranking. Thankfully, Florida State can eat on some creampuffs (UL-Monroe and FCS member Charleston Southern) before the big bad Sooners come in to Talahassee.

Should the 'Noles win that game... Well, you never know. BCS anyone?

FSU #1? Alabama #9? LSU #2? Oklahoma #5? South Carolina #4? This is why I don't listen to anything FOX Sports says. I will only listen to Athlon and Phil Steele.

FSU #1? Alabama #9? LSU #2? Oklahoma #5? South Carolina #4? This is why I don't listen to anything FOX Sports says. I will only listen to Athlon and Phil Steele.

I would only trust Athlon too...especially since Athlon went to print before both Tressel and Stewart resigned. You're lucky that they started to update their online information, but they have OU as #1 and FSU as #4 in their meaningless pre-season rankings.

I would only trust Athlon too...especially since Athlon went to print before both Tressel and Stewart resigned. You're lucky that they started to update their online information, but they have OU as #1 and FSU as #4 in their meaningless pre-season rankings.

I agree that pre-season rankings are meaningless and should really be abolished all together. But those rankings are absolutely ridiculous.

It's official, Rutgers new stadium will be named High Point Solutions Stadium. http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20948/rutgers-reaches-naming-rights-deal-for-stadium

High Solutions is located in Sparta NJ. I really hope the team intro includes a "THIS, IS, SPARTA!!!" scene in it. That would be amazing :grin:

No, that is Piscataway. More specifically the Busch Campus :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Archived