2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I think (HOPE) those were just throw together for the PC. I could see them going with a blue helmet and blue home uniforms with green alternates.

Here's a better shot that both: 1) proves me wrong on the logo, and 2) makes me really, really hope they don't' stick with these.

f3plr.jpg

That could be one of the worst helmets I've ever seen. Blue logo, white helmet, grey face mask? Yuck. Like a said, teal helmet is where it's at (or at least teal face mask).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are stupid thespleenenator, try to not be so dumb when you post things

You seriously suck at trolling.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Guest thespleephater

Eat a dick

Eat a dick

hahaha

I'm sorry but this is hilarious! and much more intelligent than stuff that some members say

It is time the NCAA is torn down and rebuilt from scratch, there are too many rules, and everything is too hard to enforce. Look over the priorities find the rules that are most important and start from there. There is just too much corruption right now and nothing short of starting from scratch can fix this.

Either that or end this charade that major division one sports are actually amateur.

The amount of money going around, the way the sport is promoted, why these kids are being brought in, nothing about that is the least bit amateur.

My personal suggestion would be to have the school simply sell the naming rights to the booster program(s) and basically just have them run the program as a pro team. Athletes would be allowed to be paid, have contact with agents and the option to attend classes at the University although it would not be required.

That or stop bringing in kids simply because they can play football or basketball with a complete disregard to their academic ability. That's the root of the problem here and as long as that exists, your always going to have rapant corruption. The temptation to cheat is just far too great when we're dealing with people that are this talented. That would effectively turn every school into an Army or Navy where the players are in fact coming from the general student population and aren't simply hired guns. People probably wouldn't want that.

They're trying to play it both ways. They want all the pros of amateur athletics and pro athletics. You have to choose. Can't have it both ways and if an when the NCAA goes before congress that's what they are probably going to tell them.

What bothers me is jersey sales, last year how much money did Auburn make selling #2 jerseys? I tell you one thing it was not to celebrate the Tigers ranking at the time.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not D1 but I figured this should be posted: Bense Announces Plans for Student Life Enhancements, Including Football

Here's a shot of the helmets they had on display at the post announcement press conference. It's not the best quality. The left one features the UWF pulled from this logo and the one on the right features just the argonaut's head.

argo_logo1.jpg

It still has to make it past a student vote or the University finding a donor willing to donate A LOT but the student route will probably be the route they go and it's smart to announce the plan to add and then present the students with a proposition to raise tuition than to get them to vote without really giving them a vision of the end product.

As a former Argo, not to mention a native of the place, I'm not sure if I should laugh at this or applaud them.

Folks up there have been clamoring for football for years, but the school simply couldn't afford it. Not hard to see why...they're an NAIA school (or was when I was there, not sure what they are now). Suffice it to say, though, this will be an interesting development to keep my eyes on. Oh, and re: that helmet, considering the abominations West Florida has trotted out over the years on their basketball court (which includes the all-egregious BFBS set), if football ever does comd to fruition up there above Nine (And One Half) Mile Road, it wouldn't suprise me in the least if their helmet design does in fact end up looking like that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not D1 but I figured this should be posted: Bense Announces Plans for Student Life Enhancements, Including Football

Here's a shot of the helmets they had on display at the post announcement press conference. It's not the best quality. The left one features the UWF pulled from this logo and the one on the right features just the argonaut's head.

argo_logo1.jpg

It still has to make it past a student vote or the University finding a donor willing to donate A LOT but the student route will probably be the route they go and it's smart to announce the plan to add and then present the students with a proposition to raise tuition than to get them to vote without really giving them a vision of the end product.

As a former Argo, not to mention a native of the place, I'm not sure if I should laugh at this or applaud them.

Folks up there have been clamoring for football for years, but the school simply couldn't afford it. Not hard to see why...they're an NAIA school (or was when I was there, not sure what they are now). Suffice it to say, though, this will be an interesting development to keep my eyes on. Oh, and re: that helmet, considering the abominations West Florida has trotted out over the years on their basketball court (which includes the all-egregious BFBS set), if football ever does comd to fruition up there above Nine (And One Half) Mile Road, it wouldn't suprise me in the least if their helmet design does in fact end up looking like that.

They're D2 and in the Gulf South Conference with us. We're all really excited for this. Sense the Arkansas school bolted we only have 5 football playing school in the GSC. With the addition of UWF and UofNewOrleans it'll help bring back the glory of the GSC. I cant say anything about your basketball set cuz we used the same template but we actually had the And1/Nike contract ;) haha. I'd say the jersey is def going to be blue. The pants could go either way, blue teal or white. As for the helmet prob a teal or white one. UWG (West Georgia) uses a Blue one already in the conference. I'd like to see a white one with a teal stripe and blue mask.

Oh and as for that nike school and the 6 year old template. After we won two NCs ('04 & '07) in black penn state jerseys nike "upgraded" us to the Bronco's jersey. lol

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

It is time the NCAA is torn down and rebuilt from scratch, there are too many rules, and everything is too hard to enforce. Look over the priorities find the rules that are most important and start from there. There is just too much corruption right now and nothing short of starting from scratch can fix this.

Either that or end this charade that major division one sports are actually amateur.

The amount of money going around, the way the sport is promoted, why these kids are being brought in, nothing about that is the least bit amateur.

My personal suggestion would be to have the school simply sell the naming rights to the booster program(s) and basically just have them run the program as a pro team. Athletes would be allowed to be paid, have contact with agents and the option to attend classes at the University although it would not be required.

That or stop bringing in kids simply because they can play football or basketball with a complete disregard to their academic ability. That's the root of the problem here and as long as that exists, your always going to have rapant corruption. The temptation to cheat is just far too great when we're dealing with people that are this talented. That would effectively turn every school into an Army or Navy where the players are in fact coming from the general student population and aren't simply hired guns. People probably wouldn't want that.

They're trying to play it both ways. They want all the pros of amateur athletics and pro athletics. You have to choose. Can't have it both ways and if an when the NCAA goes before congress that's what they are probably going to tell them.

What bothers me is jersey sales, last year how much money did Auburn make selling #2 jerseys? I tell you one thing it was not to celebrate the Tigers ranking at the time.

If the University of Florida student athletes had the same deal that the NFLPA had with the NFL (ie. players earn about 60% of revenue) even a conserative estimate for Tim Tebow's salary would have put him at around $2 million a season. With the value of his scholarship and bowl gifts together he earned about $56,000 in total during his tenure at Florida.

Even after paying Tim Tebow that kind of money as well, the Florida football program would still be turning about a $7.5 million profit every year. Instead they earned about a $47 million profit every year.

If we were talking about a school that was running their sports program as a not for profit institution, then I would be against players getting paid, but that it is clearly not the case. These are for profit programs. The money generated by the program isn't going back into education, its going back into football. The money is going to paying guys like Urban Meyer an NFL level salary even though Florida produces less then a 1/4 of the revenue that an NFL team produces.

I'd also be willing to bet that alot of boosters who give athletes money can justify it as being morally right in their heads because they understand this as well, and feel like they've earned the money. The scholarship just doesen't nearly cover enough of the value that they are bringing into the school to say that the players are getting their fair share.

I also don't buy into the idea for a second that if you suddenly distributed the money from football more into education or got rid of it that other sports would cease to exist. There's plenty of Division III schools with less then a tenth of the endowment Florida has that run 8, 9 or even 10 sports for both men and women and do so without the benefit of any money making sports team as well. If they can find a way of doing it I'm certain an SEC or Big Ten school can as well. Maybe it means you have to do away with plans for that new $50 million track and field facility, but you can still have a track and field program.

If colleges don't want to pay student athletes because its morally wrong, that's perfectly fine, but stop trying to make this kind of money off of these guys and saying its okay to not give them a dime as well. To me that's just as morally wrong if not worse.

I also don't buy into the idea for a second that if you suddenly distributed the money from football more into education or got rid of it that other sports would cease to exist. There's plenty of Division III schools with less then a tenth of the endowment Florida has that run 8, 9 or even 10 sports for both men and women and do so without the benefit of any money making sports team as well. If they can find a way of doing it I'm certain an SEC or Big Ten school can as well. Maybe it means you have to do away with plans for that new $50 million track and field facility, but you can still have a track and field program.

PROTIP: Most D-III schools play in Conferences that lie entirely within the boundaries of one or two states. And usually don't go that far in Non-Conference games either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

PROTIP: Most D-III schools play in Conferences that lie entirely within the boundaries of one or two states. And usually don't go that far in Non-Conference games either.

Ok, so? We're also talking about schools with a very limited endowment/budget to work with as opposed to a school like Michigan with an endowment of over $6 billion. I think they can handle the price increase for travel.

Even a small D1 school like Marshall is still looking at an endowment of $70 million. There's Division III schools with endowments of under $10 million that still manage to have sports totalling in the high teens.

They're D2 and in the Gulf South Conference with us. We're all really excited for this. Sense the Arkansas school bolted we only have 5 football playing school in the GSC. With the addition of UWF and UofNewOrleans it'll help bring back the glory of the GSC. I cant say anything about your basketball set cuz we used the same template but we actually had the And1/Nike contract ;) haha. I'd say the jersey is def going to be blue. The pants could go either way, blue teal or white. As for the helmet prob a teal or white one. UWG (West Georgia) uses a Blue one already in the conference. I'd like to see a white one with a teal stripe and blue mask.

Oh and as for that nike school and the 6 year old template. After we won two NCs ('04 & '07) in black penn state jerseys nike "upgraded" us to the Bronco's jersey. lol

Don't forget Shorter University and Union Univeristy (non-football) beginning their transition period into the GSC and NCAA next year and are post season eligible beginning 14-15.

According to the GSC Commish (

) has said they could have 10 football schools but I'm not seeing it. The current 5 (Delta State, North Alabama, Valdosta State, West Alabama, West Georgia), the addition of Florida Tech announced today, UWF (whenever, President Bense would like it before her term as President ends in 2015), New Orleans (by 2015) and Shorter equals 9. Unless Union or one of the current non-football members in Christian Brothers or Alabama-Huntsville adds football, where is he getting 10? UAH is looking to lower their athletic budget and their #1 sport is hockey with no plans of adding football.

And hell, UNA is on a 6-year plan to go to D1.

Hate to break everyone's heart but there will be no teal. Never has been.

athleticcolors_new.jpg

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Ok, so? We're also talking about schools with a very limited endowment/budget to work with as opposed to a school like Michigan with an endowment of over $6 billion. I think they can handle the price increase for travel.

Even a small D1 school like Marshall is still looking at an endowment of $70 million. There's Division III schools with endowments of under $10 million that still manage to have sports totalling in the high teens.

Yes, but in the case of sports like football they wouldn't dare schedule a Division I-A team. Lest their players get killed literally. Equipment and competitive facilities, especially for football, does drive up athletic budgets a fair deal.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, but in the case of sports like football they wouldn't dare schedule a Division I-A team. Lest their players get killed literally.

Well, that and NCAA scheduling rules.

Yes, but in the case of sports like football they wouldn't dare schedule a Division I-A team. Lest their players get killed literally. Equipment and competitive facilities, especially for football, does drive up athletic budgets a fair deal.

Okay, but your saying the facilites are at this level because that's what the market calls for. My argument is that what the market calls for is way above the amount that you need.

I worked for a major D1 program and I can tell you there's alot of stuff we could have done away with if needed to and we could have still fielded a team and it wouldn't have even had much of an effect on the atheltic performance. Most of that stuff is there for recruitment purposes and alot of it is overkill. They'd spend money for painting over a mural they just put up five years ago, renovating the locker room even though its not even 10 years old. Things like that. Problem is the NCAA would have to put in rules limiting the amount programs could spend on their athletic facilites. They won't do it. Big name schools like having that edge on smaller ones.

In the past I don't think it was a big deal but its gotten to the point now where teams are just spending more and more money on stuff they really don't even need. They just do it because everyone else is and if they don't they'll fall behind recruitment and the amount of money that's available to these programs is far greater (even after you adjust for inflation) then what existed in the 1960's.

The NCAA might actually have to come down hard on Miami given this is going to embarrass the NCAA as well. The head of the committee on infractions is Paul Dee who was the Miami AD when this all went on. I'm sure USC will be looking at how the Miami case goes given what they got and this is much much worse.

I fully expect the NCAA to bend over as far backward as they can to not give The UTM the death penalty, not just because The UTM is such a big cash cow but because of the disruption to the rest of the ACC. They don't want 11 other schools pitching a fit because the NCAA made collateral damage out of them.

What they could do instead is make The UTM play on the road all season (as they did with SMU after their death-penalty season, though SMU responded by simply canceling that whole season as well). This would not only allow the ACC to continue uninterrupted but give several teams an extra home game (read: hundreds of thousands more dollars in ticket sales). Win-win.

Having said all that, I doubt the athletic department at The UTM can ever be cleaned up, death penalty or no, simply because of its proximity to the South Beach celebrity/glamour/sleaze culture of the Miami area, which brought us this scandal in the first place. With SMU, at least the sleaze was pretty much self-contained within their athletic department, not a staple of the entire local culture. If The UTM gets the death penalty, that culture of sleaze will still be there, and it will still be there when the program comes back, and there isn't a thing The UTM can do about that even if it wanted to.

CCSLC signature.png

Don't forget Shorter University and Union Univeristy (non-football) beginning their transition period into the GSC and NCAA next year and are post season eligible beginning 14-15.

According to the GSC Commish (

) has said they could have 10 football schools but I'm not seeing it. The current 5 (Delta State, North Alabama, Valdosta State, West Alabama, West Georgia), the addition of Florida Tech announced today, UWF (whenever, President Bense would like it before her term as President ends in 2015), New Orleans (by 2015) and Shorter equals 9. Unless Union or one of the current non-football members in Christian Brothers or Alabama-Huntsville adds football, where is he getting 10? UAH is looking to lower their athletic budget and their #1 sport is hockey with no plans of adding football.

And hell, UNA is on a 6-year plan to go to D1.

Hate to break everyone's heart but there will be no teal. Never has been.

athleticcolors_new.jpg

Well excuse me, seafoam. =P

Shorter is NAIA or something right now so they'll have to build the program which will take a while. FTU and UWF will have an avantage because of all the talent in Florida. Dont see Union getting one. And CBU isn't big enough for it and UAH just has more priorities.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Okay, but your saying the facilites are at this level because that's what the market calls for. My argument is that what the market calls for is way above the amount that you need.

I worked for a major D1 program and I can tell you there's alot of stuff we could have done away with if needed to and we could have still fielded a team and it wouldn't have even had much of an effect on the atheltic performance. Most of that stuff is there for recruitment purposes and alot of it is overkill. They'd spend money for painting over a mural they just put up five years ago, renovating the locker room even though its not even 10 years old. Things like that. Problem is the NCAA would have to put in rules limiting the amount programs could spend on their athletic facilites. They won't do it. Big name schools like having that edge on smaller ones.

In the past I don't think it was a big deal but its gotten to the point now where teams are just spending more and more money on stuff they really don't even need. They just do it because everyone else is and if they don't they'll fall behind recruitment and the amount of money that's available to these programs is far greater (ven after you adjust for inflation) then what existed in the 1960's.

It won't affect on-field performance and it's only there for recruiting? Well then it affects on-field performance. Better facilities makes a place more attractive to not only better players but better coaches. Better players and coaches leads to better on-field performance. Does best locker room automatically mean you get a national championship? No, but it helps in recruiting which is such a big facet of the game that teams have coaches who are Recruiting Coordinators and staff members who's sole job is dealing with recruiting.

The NCAA might actually have to come down hard on Miami given this is going to embarrass the NCAA as well. The head of the committee on infractions is Paul Dee who was the Miami AD when this all went on. I'm sure USC will be looking at how the Miami case goes given what they got and this is much much worse.

I fully expect the NCAA to bend over as far backward as they can to not give The UTM the death penalty, not just because The UTM is such a big cash cow but because of the disruption to the rest of the ACC. They don't want 11 other schools pitching a fit because the NCAA made collateral damage out of them.

You know what? I think the ACC should take a hit here. Setting aside that half of the ACC Coastal has either had a nice-sized chat with the Committee on Infractions in the last year or can expect to do so shortly, maybe the NCAA needs to make a point here. As they've said before, the NCAA Infractions model is heavily reliant on self-reporting or on outside sources revealing infractions in other programs. You have to figure certain other programs knew about this before it came to Yahoo!'s attention. Incentivize these programs to tell on each other, and you may improve compliance (God knows that most college rivalries are bad enough that programs would try to out their most hated enemies if the NCAA asked them to do so.)

Today, we are all otaku.

In the past I don't think it was a big deal but its gotten to the point now where teams are just spending more and more money on stuff they really don't even need. They just do it because everyone else is and if they don't they'll fall behind recruitment and the amount of money that's available to these programs is far greater (ven after you adjust for inflation) then what existed in the 1960's.

It won't affect on-field performance and it's only there for recruiting? Well then it affects on-field performance. Better facilities makes a place more attractive to not only better players but better coaches. Better players and coaches leads to better on-field performance. Does best locker room automatically mean you get a national championship? No, but it helps in recruiting which is such a big facet of the game that teams have coaches who are Recruiting Coordinators and staff members who's sole job is dealing with recruiting.

I get all of that and that's why I say the only way to get this would be for the NCAA to put in place budget limits on what colleges can spend on things like this, which they won't do because again, the big name schools love having that edge on smaller schools. Akron can't afford these perks so they don't get the big name players.

Had we gotten rid of those perks we would have fallen behind as well. We did it in large part because everyone was. If nobody else was we may have done it anyway just to get an edge on the competition. Point being you cannot trust colleges to police themselves when it comes to this. They will spend however much they have, and I think its a big problem with how college sports operates. Your talking about a fixed level of talent here. You can spend as much or as little money as you want to. The total amount of talent that comes for this year's class will remain exactly the same. I don't care if $5 is spent on getting the number one prospect to commit to a school or $500,000. He's the same player no matter what. If the argument is that teams should be spending $500,000 to recruit this guy because that's what the open market, then your not an amateur sport your a pro sport that doesen't pay its atheltes. If not then tell me how open market systems become a part of what is supposed to be a not for profit league? If I'm not mistaken open markets are driven almost entirely by profit motives. I can't see how an argument can be made here denying that without it also contradicting itself at some point.

But again everyone has to agree to do it. I highly doubt that will happen without the government coming in and basically forcing colleges to agree to this. Conferences like the SEC, Big Ten and PAC-12 will fight this tooth and nail.

Archived