2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm behind the times on this, but how realistic is the death penalty here?

I think that Nevin Shapiro tried to use his access to Miami football to get access to far wealthier people which he could add to his $930M Ponzi scheme.

There is a new Miami blog which now details information to either confirm or deny all which Nevin Shapiro has told Yahoo! Some if is it true, but other parts seem to be exaggerated. Such as he became a Miami Football booster to gain access (through football players) to gain access to Miami donators who have more money for his Ponzi scheme.

There is another issues but even with Luther Campbell and Miami, Luther was not an official booster, he was just a rich guy who liked the football team and paid the players without an affiliation.

In a few years, who wants to bet the championship game will be the Idaho Vandals vs the Duke Blue Devils!

And do to lack of support from any Bowl Game, the NCG is played at the Kibbie Dome. So down for that. ^_^

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There is another issues but even with Luther Campbell and Miami, Luther was not an official booster, he was just a rich guy who liked the football team and paid the players without an affiliation.

Quoting from Va Tech's booster guidelines:

2. A "representative of an institution's athletics interests" (commonly referred to as a booster) is defined by the NCAA as anyone who:

Is now, or previously been, a member of any organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

Has made a financial contribution to the athletics program or an athletics booster organization;

Has helped arrange any employment for a student-athlete;

Has been involved, in any way, in the promotion of the athletics program.

Furthermore, the NCAA says that once someone is identified as a booster, they retain that status permanently. Luther Campbell was an official booster according to NCAA regulations. He was just a shady booster, but a booster nonetheless.

I really want to care about college football, but I...I just can't. The bowl system sucks and scams like these just irk the hell out of me.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I really want to care about college football, but I...I just can't. The bowl system sucks and scams like these just irk the hell out of me.

Luckily the bowls are only part of it. There's plenty of regular season football to watch.

Luckily the bowls are only part of it. There's plenty of regular season football to watch.

Right, and I actually love non-bowl games, preferably between teams I don't care about. But having a pointless championship system is a major turn off.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm behind the times on this, but how realistic is the death penalty here?

I'd put it at slightly higher than 50%. The NCAA has to do something but there is the risk of significant damage to a BCS conference. When you add that to the fact that several other ACC programs have already had brushes with the NCAA recently and some are currently in trouble, you really have to tread carefully, as penalties could have a spillover effect. The NCAA doesn't want to cause the collapse of the ACC like how the SWC collapsed.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I think it should be said again. Maybe the ACC should sustain a punishment that threatens its existence. It really stretches credulity that none of the other schools in the league knew this was going on, especially given the propensity of (stupid) student athletes putting up twitpics and facebook images with them holding copious sums of money and other fine things and/or accidentally letting stuff slip via social communication.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Right, and I actually love non-bowl games, preferably between teams I don't care about. But having a pointless championship system is a major turn off.

Meh, I can work past the :censored:ty championship system. You learn to accept it when you know your team has no chance of being involved in it for the foreseeable future.

Things are getting shady in Baton Rouge.

The police confiscated 49 pairs of shoes from Jordan Jefferson's apartment.

49 pairs? Hello NCAA Grim Reaper.

And then their's this

Hey Jordan Jefferson. It's me, your football career. Yeah, listen, I think we should split up. It's not you it's, well, actually it is you. You're being a moron, and it's turning me off. And to think, you could have had millions. Sorry, but I need a more successful man to guide me through my life.

Nothing will be looked into about the shoes other than finding the pair that he used to kick a person in the head with. Jefferson's good and gone. Talk is about starting Jarrett Lee, which is fine, but let's get Mettenberger ready to take over mid-season.

LSU is more of the cleaner programs out of the top schools and I don't care if I'm biased saying that. If something happens that's shady, it's taken care of and self-discipline is handed down. Ryan Perriloux got in trouble a few years ago and he was punished by being kicked off the team. I have faith the team will show the same integrity here.

And then their's this

Hey Jordan Jefferson. It's me, your football career. Yeah, listen, I think we should split up. It's not you it's, well, actually it is you. You're being a moron, and it's turning me off. And to think, you could have had millions. Sorry, but I need a more successful man to guide me through my life.

Nothing will be looked into about the shoes other than finding the pair that he used to kick a person in the head with. Jefferson's good and gone. Talk is about starting Jarrett Lee, which is fine, but let's get Mettenberger ready to take over mid-season.

LSU is more of the cleaner programs out of the top schools and I don't care if I'm biased saying that. If something happens that's shady, it's taken care of and self-discipline is handed down. Ryan Perriloux got in trouble a few years ago and he was punished by being kicked off the team. I have faith the team will show the same integrity here.

Didn't Perriloux get like 30 strikes first?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And then their's this

Didn't Perriloux get like 30 strikes first?

Three, and he was out.

He was never the suspect in a Class 2 felony either. In actus reus, being accused of kicking someone in the head repeatedly when they're down and breaking three of their vertebrae is a lot different than using a fake driver's license.

Quoting from Va Tech's booster guidelines:

2. A "representative of an institution's athletics interests" (commonly referred to as a booster) is defined by the NCAA as anyone who:

Is now, or previously been, a member of any organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

Has made a financial contribution to the athletics program or an athletics booster organization;

Has helped arrange any employment for a student-athlete;

Has been involved, in any way, in the promotion of the athletics program.

Furthermore, the NCAA says that once someone is identified as a booster, they retain that status permanently. Luther Campbell was an official booster according to NCAA regulations. He was just a shady booster, but a booster nonetheless.

What is a bylaw in 2010-11 does not mean that it was between 1986-92. If you use that rule, Sam Gilbert would have stained John Wooden. Plus, as the NCAA did not punish Miami for that before, they were punished for falsifying Pell Grants and not implementing drug testing programs in a timely fashion.

What is a bylaw in 2010-11 does not mean that it was between 1986-92. If you use that rule, Sam Gilbert would have stained John Wooden. Plus, as the NCAA did not punish Miami for that before, they were punished for falsifying Pell Grants and not implementing drug testing programs in a timely fashion.

:censored:, you're right. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I don't mean it to be insulting in any way. I just meant that the ACC's most recent big era is over. It was the late 1990s-early 2000s. Now is the SEC's time.

Archived