2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I think my actual point got lost in the details. In a normal discipline system, Ohio State wouldn't deserve the death penalty for their offenses. However, when compared to the punishments that Boise State or USC got for less-serious "crimes," practically anything less than the death penalty will be seen as soft and too favorable (biased, even) towards Ohio State. The only options for the NCAA here are to either grow a pair and make an example out of tOSU, or spend another college football season battling claims of "blue-blood bias" with the DOJ breathing down their necks (and the BCS' necks).

And yes, Urban Meyer would be saying all the right things if he was hired as tOSU's next coach. However, until the NCAA adopts a disciplinary system better than the biased, inconsistent garbage in place now, there's no real motivation for him or the program to clean up their acts.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still support the death penalty for Ohio State. If the NCAA is going to slap a school with "lack of institutional control" for letting recruits sleep on a couch while their housing is arranged and cheating in women's tennis, then the punishment for Ohio State's unending parade of corruption should be as severe as possible. Plus, it's about time the BCS schools are forced to clean up their act. Maybe we'll actually see a more equal playing field once the SEC is forced to stop oversigning, the USCs of the world are forced to stop giving gifts to players, the Ohio States of the world are forced to stop lying and covering up their violations, etc. The fact is, small schools and even non-"traditional" BCS programs are held to a stricter disciplinary standard than the blue-blood BCS schools, and that needs to end.

Also, infrared: somehow, I doubt a coach who presided over 30 arrests and several recruiting violations at Florida would be the right choice if Ohio State wants to stop getting in trouble.

Unending parade of corruption? That's overstating just a bit don't you think? I realize that as a Boise State fan you'd love to see us get shut down and all but Ohio State isn't exactly in SMU territory here. Not yet at least.

Anyway, I don't think the NCAA is going to go "death penalty" simply because, if memory serves, Ohio State hasn't committed enough continuous infractions to warrant it; yet. I believe the NCAA has a process and Ohio State needs to get busted a few more times before they get the death penalty. What I'm trying to say here is that Ohio State is at step one and the death penalty can't be imposed until like step ten. Someone who knows more about it can explain it better than I can. All I know is that this "unending parade of corruption" will not result in the death penalty. In fact, I figure I'm going to be spending a good deal of this coming college football season taking flack over how "easy" the NCAA went on the Buckeyes in all this. Don't get me wrong, I think what they've done deserves whatever they get but I don't think they've done nearly enough to warrant the "death penalty." Look at the bright side, we're basically handing a BCS bowl berth to some other team. B)

On your second point, does "I learned my lesson at Florida and I can assure you that what happened at Florida won't happen at Ohio State..." sound like something we might be hearing?

Exactly. 'Lights Out' missed that there is a difference in the terms: "Lack of Institutional Control" and "Repeat Offender".

Link to Principles of Institutional Control from the Pac-12 website

Being called a "Repeat Offender" is what gave SMU the Death Penalty in 1987. SMU football was penalized six times from 1958-1987. Between 1974 and 1985, SMU was sanctioned five times by the NCAA, including a football bowl game ban 1985 and '86, and banned from televised games in 1986. They were cheating while on probation since the continued the slush fund. If any school was to possibly revive the Death Penalty, it may have to be Auburn.

Cam Newton aside, former coach Terry Bowden talked about players being paid while the school was on probation at the time. These were the Eric Ramsey years and many young ones can watch the

I think my actual point got lost in the details. In a normal discipline system, Ohio State wouldn't deserve the death penalty for their offenses. However, when compared to the punishments that Boise State or USC got for less-serious "crimes," practically anything less than the death penalty will be seen as soft and too favorable (biased, even) towards Ohio State. The only options for the NCAA here are to either grow a pair and make an example out of tOSU, or spend another college football season battling claims of "blue-blood bias" with the DOJ breathing down their necks (and the BCS' necks).

And yes, Urban Meyer would be saying all the right things if he was hired as tOSU's next coach. However, until the NCAA adopts a disciplinary system better than the biased, inconsistent garbage in place now, there's no real motivation for him or the program to clean up their acts.

The NCAA does not have subpoena power, so their power to oversee and enforce is instantly diminished. Even if there is a breakaway collegiate league, they will also not have such power, so student-athletes (potential/current/former) do not have to talk, there will not be a need for more staff for Compliance, and the cycle will occur again as those with $$$ to corrupt will still do it, yet with a smaller pool of players to corrupt.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wow, that's just embarrassing. My question is why wasn't Tressel punished earlier?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Well yeah, that's because the NCAA won't lose money over IUPUI.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Can you just shut the :censored: up? I'm perfectly willing to see abuse heaped upon my alma mater from people who actually know something about college football, and who aren't, you know, complete idiots. You don't fall into either category. You're just jealous that Arizona isn't good enough or prominent enough to warrant this type of attention. Take that 13th grade education you got at Arizona and go back over to the Obama thread where people will actually talk to you.

Wait...did I type that out loud? Oops...

Good stuff Kev. It just shows why Tressel should be fired. It's no secret here in Buckeye Nation that Tressel had issues at Youngstown State. For the record, I want him to get fired. Not for this stuff, all he did was get caught. No, I want him gone because he goes into clock killing mode at halftime when the Buckeyes have the lead.

BB52Big.jpg

You're just jealous that Arizona isn't good enough or prominent enough to warrant this type of attention.

Yeah we are. It's just that it's in basketball, not football.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You're just jealous that Arizona isn't good enough or prominent enough to warrant this type of attention.

Like anyone gives a :censored: about College Basketball in any other month but March. Or Arizona...well...ever. We're talking about Ohio State football going down in flames junior. This isn't some school that people pay attention to for three weeks in March like Arizona. This is the big time my man. We're front page news nationwide. I had no idea Arizona got in trouble with their basketball program. I bet everyone knows about the Buckeyes. And, I got a much better education than you did. So there. :P

BB52Big.jpg

Like anyone gives a :censored: about College Basketball in any other month but March. Or Arizona...well...ever.

Are you really gonna go there?

Can you just shut the :censored: up? I'm perfectly willing to see abuse heaped upon my alma mater from people who actually know something about college football, and who aren't, you know, complete idiots. You don't fall into either category. You're just jealous that Arizona isn't good enough or prominent enough to warrant this type of attention. Take that 13th grade education you got at Arizona and go back over to the Obama thread where people will actually talk to you.

Good stuff Kev. It just shows why Tressel should be fired. It's no secret here in Buckeye Nation that Tressel had issues at Youngstown State. For the record, I want him to get fired. Not for this stuff, all he did was get caught. No, I want him gone because he goes into clock killing mode at halftime when the Buckeyes have the lead.

abcdd484-7d00-4244-978d-cb8b3f796908.jpg

Like anyone gives a :censored: about College Basketball in any other month but March. Or Arizona...well...ever.

Are you really gonna go there?

If by "there" you mean stating a well known fact, then yes. Spin it however you'd like but Arizona basketball is but a tiny blip on the sports radar screen when compared to Ohio State football.

BB52Big.jpg

I was talking about the first part, numbskull.

I would also debate the second part since Forbes ranks us as one of the ten most valuable basketball programs in the nation. You don't get a ranking like that for nothing.

Who asked you rookie? And no one is angry. We're just having some fun.

BB52Big.jpg

Who asked you rookie? And no one is angry. We're just having some fun.

That doesn't sound like fun, it sounds like someone getting pissed.

Archived