2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I used to hate college football. I don't see how anybody couldnt love it.

It's amazing... until you get to the postseason.

I know! Thats what pisses me off. The regular season is hyped up then you get a bunch of crappy bowls. A playoff system would bring the best way to determine the real champion.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I can't believe I used to hate college football. I don't see how anybody couldnt love it.

Here goes the Boise fan....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It has nothing to do with team preference. Other than a truly amazing bowl (which only occurs very rarely), the bowl system just feels like a rushed, anticlimactic end to the year. It doesn't help that there's a ton of bowls, and that even 6-6 teams get to play in them.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, we can now eliminate TCU from BCS consideration. I don't care if they beat Boise, win the rest of their games, and Baylor ends up ranked #1 at the end of the season, TCU is not going to a BCS game. Now if Georgia can defeat Boise State, *sarcasm begins* we can leave all the whining to the SEC fans of which SEC teams deserve to play in the BCS.*sarcasm ends*

College football's postseason does suck. 30 odd exhibition games and 1 game that counts between two teams we think are the best based on guesswork and reputation.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

College football's postseason does suck. 30 odd exhibition games and 1 game that counts between two teams we think are the best based on guesswork and reputation.

Don't forget a computer system that calculates... we don't know, because the folks who made it won't tell us.

Some of them do. Granted the ones that do make us wish they didn't tell us. Richard Billingsley I'm looking at you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The SEC still doesn't get respected enough. Only eight teams in the top 25? Come on.

As to the playoffs, an 11 team playoff between the 11 conference champions is probably the way to go. Don't win your conference? You're not good enough.

LvZYtbZ.png

Glory Glory to old Georgia! Heroes have graced the field before you, men with the hearts, bodies, and minds of which the entire Bulldog Nation can be justifiably proud. A tradition of unbridled excellence, demonstrated by these individuals and many others spans more than a full century.

...And now a new breed of Bulldog stands ready to take the field of battle; to assume the reigns of their Georgia forbearers and continue that tradition understanding that there is no tradition more worth of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia. As we prepare for another meeting between the hedges, let all the Bulldog faithful rally behind the men who now wear the red and black with two words. Two simple words which express the sentiments of the entire Bulldog Nation:

GO DAWGS!

Not if you go with the four or six highest-ranked conference champions, plus some highly-ranked at-larges. A 4-loss MAC team or 5-loss Sun Belt team wouldn't be ranked highly enough to get into the playoffs.

So instead of limiting the argument of "Who's #2?" to 2-3 teams, you want to use a playoff system using rankings (which, by the way, become muddled up after the first 5-6 spots) and include 8-10 teams or more into an argument of "Who's #12/#16?", and get many more schools whining to the media about being snubbed. Yeah...no thanks.

Have you ever looked at the final polls (before the bowls) each season and said to yourself, "Man, the team that's #5 in the polls has a damn fine argument for being in the national championship game!"?

No matter what system you use, some schools are going to whine about being snubbed. In the NFL, teams whine about being snubbed. That's just an unavoidable part of the game. However, in a playoff system, you won't have a situation like when there's two undefeated teams at the end of the year and one doesn't get to play for the championship. That's the ultimate snub, and the kind of scenario that makes the BCS look totally bush-league.

And in a playoff system, if the #5 team in the country earned their way to the National Championship Game by beating all their opponents, then yes, they'd have a damn fine argument for being there. It's certainly a better argument for being in the NCG than "a bunch of biased coaches and statisticians with secretive formulas subjectively decided we deserved to be here".

Oh, and...

FIGHT! FIGHT! B-S-U!

B)

xLmjWVv.png

In the NFL, teams whine about being snubbed.

I'd love to see an example of this.

In 2008 the Chargers won the AFC West with an 8-8 record, and thus got a playoff spot. The 11-5 Patriots lost out to the Dolphins in the AFC East race and were thus denied a playoff spot. I do recall some whining about that. Not a lot, but some.

And of course there was last year when the 7-9 Seahawks fell a$$backwards into a playoff spot by winning the NFC West while the 10-6 Buccaneers and Giants didn't get in. Again not much whining, but it was there in small quantities.

And at least in a playoff system, there's an easy response if schools cry about getting snubbed - win your conference and/or get ranked higher next year, and you'll be in. In the current system, it's not so clear-cut, because everything is so arbitrary.

With a small playoff system, there wouldn't really be much opportunity for an "undeserving" team to get in... whereas really good teams get left out of title contention regularly in the BCS (2004 Auburn/Utah and 2010 TCU spring to mind immediately).

xLmjWVv.png

And at least in a playoff system, there's an easy response if schools cry about getting snubbed - win your conference and/or get ranked higher next year, and you'll be in. In the current system, it's not so clear-cut, because everything is so arbitrary.

With a small playoff system, there wouldn't really be much opportunity for an "undeserving" team to get in... whereas really good teams get left out of title contention regularly in the BCS (2004 Auburn/Utah and 2010 TCU spring to mind immediately).

Out of curiotisty, what made the undefeated Horn Frogs more deserving of a shot at the National Championship then the undefeated Ducks and Tigers?

Archived