2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

This assumes Bo Pelini doesn't kill Taylor Martinez before November.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very true! :P

Nonetheless, they're an interesting team to me. Actually, the potential Big Ten race is interesting to me. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State...this could get really good down the road.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Nonetheless, they're an interesting team to me. Actually, the potential Big Ten race is interesting to me. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State...this could get really good down the road.

They almost lost to Toledo. Granted, Toledo is actually pretty good, and a MAC title contender, but there's no way they can play like they did and compete in the B1G. Illinois, MIchigan State, and MIchigan however look like contenders.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

They almost lost to Toledo. Granted, Toledo is actually pretty good, and a MAC title contender, but there's no way they can play like they did and compete in the B1G. Illinois, MIchigan State, and MIchigan however look like contenders.

I haven't been able to see much of Michigan State yet but I wouldn't call Michigan a contender. And unless Illinois has a great showing against ASU, I'm not calling them a contender yet either. Right now, they both are 2nd tier teams that will play in a January 1st bowl not in Pasadena at best.

Right now, it's Nebraska and Wisconsin at the top with Michigan State right there behind them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm aware the Buckeyes almost lost to Toledo, but they always seem to find themselves in the mix. I'm not ready to rule anything out just yet - it's too early. Virginia Tech LOST to James Madison, and still made it to the Orange Bowl, so you never know what could happen.

And I agree that Michigan State can make some noise. I'll be keeping an eye on them as well.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The fact South Florida, a team that beat the #16 team in the nation (albeit Notre Dame should've been lower), is lower than Ohio State, that almost, and had a great chance to, lose to a team that is 26-35 the past 5 years, is a travesty.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

The fact South Florida, a team that beat the #16 team in the nation (albeit Notre Dame should've been lower), is lower than Ohio State, that almost, and had a great chance to, lose to a team that is 26-35 the past 5 years, is a travesty.

Well, Notre Dame isn't ranked now so it doesn't really matter how good people thought they'd be before they ever played a down. And in Ohio State's defense, Toledo is a much better team this year than they were 5 years ago. Not saying the polls are always right, but I think if Ohio State played South Florida at a neutral site the Buckeyes would win.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Talent means nothing if execution is lacking.

Notre Dame is not a mentally tough team. Brian Kelly showed he gets rattled when things are not going his way, and that rubs off on the team. Notre Dame lost two games in which they were favored to win, and now have almost no shot of reaching a BCS bowl. But hey, at least they'll get a bid to the NobodyCares.com Bowl where they can gloat about beating Northern Illinois or whoever.

As long as ND has games televised on NBC, their "legend" is still there. Never mind the fact that the last time they won a National Championship was before any of the players on their current roster were even alive.

UNI could beat Notre Dame.

No, the University of Northern Iowa could not beat Notre Dame right now. Neither could Northern Illinois University, assuming that's what you meant.

Michigan looked terrible all around in that game Saturday night. Thanks to an implosion by the ND defense, the offense looked good, but Denard Robinson is a quarterback who makes far too many mistakes. (Just like Tommy Rees and Dayne Crist! <_< )

Michigan State didn't look impressive in their opener against Youngstown State. I don't think they can do it again this year.

6fQjS3M.png

Michigan State has beat FAU 44-0. allowing 1 first down. I think they were going on autopilot during the YSU game. These guys can play.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Michigan State has beat FAU 44-0. allowing 1 first down. I think they were going on autopilot during the YSU game. These guys can play.

<_<

They beat Florida Atlantic. The Owls aren't that good to begin with. Plus, Sparty had some issues early on in the Youngstown State game, so it wasn't like they were on 'autopilot' in that game.

If Michigan State can beat Notre Dame in a impressive fashion this week, then people can start to consider them a threat in the Big Ten's Legends Division.

the Big Ten's Legends Division.

Sorry, I can't read that without literally falling down laughing.

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

Dear lord, the B1G really fouled up on that one. I'd rather play for a Norman Rockwell Corn Trophy than play in a conference whose divisions are named "Legends" and "Leaders".

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

Dear lord, the B1G really fouled up on that one. I'd rather play for a Norman Rockwell Corn Trophy than play in a conference whose divisions are named "Legends" and "Leaders".

Maybe that should be the B1G Ten Championship Game or maybe it should be a calculator since they have 12 teams now.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

Same here. Every time I see "Legends" or "Leaders", I cringe and then I crack up laughing. Who in the hell thought those names were a good idea?

BB52Big.jpg

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

It's actually "Legends" and "Liars". They were named for Paterno and Tressel.

LvZYtbZ.png

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

Same here. Every time I see "Legends" or "Leaders", I cringe and then I crack up laughing. Who in the hell thought those names were a good idea?

The one corporate design firm they hired. And the University Presidents. Still don't understand what the problem was with "North and South"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

The one corporate design firm they hired. And the University Presidents. Still don't understand what the problem was with "North and South"

They wanted to strengthen the Big Ten brand by having unique division names. Unfortunately, they failed miserably.

Let's try that again.

Nope, still cracking up.

They wanted to strengthen the Big Ten brand by having unique division names. Unfortunately, they failed miserably.

The ACC's "Coastal" and "Atlantic" are unique and clever. The B1G's "Legends" and "Leaders" are just plain dumb.

Archived