2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHOO!!! Roadtrip was well worth it out there to Oxford! One of the best times ive had in a long time. Great campus, great stadium and people, and Dawgs get a win! Well worth the 7 hour drive...very much well worth it.

How damn slow do you drive?

I can drive from Atlanta to Memphis in a little over 6 hours, and that's going barely above the speed limit.

I had to go all the way back to Athens. Ran into traffic in Birmingham due to construction.

Yeah, LaMichael had a lousy game against LSU, but he?s at least back in the Heisman conversation after destroying Arizona. And I can prove it. Check out these stat lines:

18 carries, 54 yards, 1 TD vs. LSU, week 1

17 carries, 50 yards, 1 TD vs. Arkansas, week 4

16 carries, 30 yards, 0 TD vs. Auburn, week 12

The first one is James? line from this season. The last two are from 2009. It?s Mark Ingram?s two worst games from the year HE WON THE HEISMAN.

Lamichael's yards are also the most allowed by LSU this season. He also leads the nation in rushing. This guy is a heisman contender.

If that matters, then Geno Smith has the Heisman wrapped up. 450+ yards passing against LSU.

Geno Smith is a very legitimate hesiman candidate, however, he only has a 146 passer rating, and has only thrown 9 touchdowns. LaMichael has scored the same amount of touchdowns that Geno has throw for, which is never a good sign for a Heisman candidacy. Plus, LSU's running defense is much more acclaimed than it's passing defense, not to mention the fact that WVU threw it 65 times in that game, and along with the fact that they couldn't run the ball, he was bound to get yards. Geno has the yards, but doesn't have the td's.

Top 5 heisman candidates so far IMO:

1. Marcus Lattimore

2. Robert Griffin

3. LaMichael James

4. Andrew Luck

5. Kellen Moore

#6 goes to Denard Robinson. Last weeks performance was good but he was playing a poor as heck run defense. Trent Steelman almost had the same type of performance on SDSU.

Top 5 heisman candidates so far IMO:

1. Marcus Lattimore

2. Robert Griffin

3. LaMichael James

4. Andrew Luck

5. Kellen Moore

#6 goes to Denard Robinson. Last weeks performance was good but he was playing a poor as heck run defense. Trent Steelman almost had the same type of performance on SDSU.

I would put Griffon at 1, and switch Kellen Moore and James, but that's a good list.

I hope LaMichael James does not win the Heisman. Heisman winners rarely amount to anything.

You're directly correlating winning a Heisman to bad NFL results?

Would Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Jason White, Troy Smith, etc been any better in the NFL if they didn't win the Heisman? No.

That's a stupid wish. How would you not want a player on your team to do as well as they could or win as many awards as possible?

Honestly, I have Luck and Moore as 1A and 1B. They're both seniors, both winners, they both have put up gaudy numbers over the past four years, and both got snubbed in New York last year. They're also both quarterbacks, which already gives them an advantage over the rest of the field.

Right now, I give Luck the edge simply because the media (and NFL teams) have been slobbering over him for the past two years or so, since Jake Locker didn't live up to the hype, and Stanford is once again in contention for the PAC-12 title and a BCS bid. However, if Moore shatters the all-time NCAA win record (which he's on pace to do) and guides Boise to another BCS bowl bid, that might put him in front of the pack later on this season.

I hope LaMichael James does not win the Heisman. Heisman winners rarely amount to anything.

Not to mention that the Heisman is about the most overhyped thing in sports. Seriously, does anyone really care who wins it? I know I don't, and my team had a guy who won it a few years ago. That shows you were the Heisman ranks with me. Troy Smith from Ohio State won the thing and I can't even remember what year he won it. Hell, I don't remember who won it last season. The Heisman Trophy is meaningless.

Not to mention that the Heisman is about the most overhyped thing in sports. Seriously, does anyone really care who wins it? I know I don't, and my team had a guy who won it a few years ago. That shows you were the Heisman ranks with me. Troy Smith from Ohio State won the thing and I can't even remember what year he won it. Hell, I don't remember who won it last season. The Heisman Trophy is meaningless.

The year Florida violated Ohio State in the National Title Game.

So Toledo wants the win from Saturday. There is some historical precedent to this - a major school back in 1940 ended up forfeiting a game they shouldn't have won thanks to a referee error.

...Yeah we're not like that school an hour down I-81/NY 13 :P

The MAC's already ruled that they can't reverse the outcome. I do feel bad for Toledo and the call was botched, but there's not really much they can do about it. Blown calls happen all the time and they can sometimes affect the outcome of the game. That's just a fact with sports I guess

Honestly, I have Luck and Moore as 1A and 1B. They're both seniors, both winners, they both have put up gaudy numbers over the past four years, and both got snubbed in New York last year. They're also both quarterbacks, which already gives them an advantage over the rest of the field.

Right now, I give Luck the edge simply because the media (and NFL teams) have been slobbering over him for the past two years or so, since Jake Locker didn't live up to the hype, and Stanford is once again in contention for the PAC-12 title and a BCS bid. However, if Moore shatters the all-time NCAA win record (which he's on pace to do) and guides Boise to another BCS bowl bid, that might put him in front of the pack later on this season.

Might want to check that 4 years part.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/380470/andrew-luck

Has Maryland announced what uniforms they'll be trotting out against Towson yet?

I mean, instead of actually prepping for Towson. Because it was pretty clear they were too busy worrying about their uniform combinations to prep for Temple.

Yeah, I'm still shaking my head about it. I miss Fridge, and I miss good-looking Maryland digs.

I'm including the first three games this year in that. By the ceremony, there will have been enough games played to judge as a full year.

I'm including the first three games this year in that. By the ceremony, there will have been enough games played to judge as a full year.

I was saying that this is Luck's third year playing, and his first year he put up pretty good numbers, not gaudy numbers. And technically, he's a redshirt Junior, not a senior. Just a minor correction.

Archived