2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Remember that goodwill that the ACC somewhat gained a couple weekends ago? Clemson beat Auburn, Florida State played Oklahoma tough, and Miami beat Ohio State.

Yeah, that was shortlived.

Cincinnati 44, NC State 14

Temple 38, Maryland 7

Southern Miss 30, Virginia 24

Kansas State 28, Miami 24

And their preseason pick to be the conference champion (Florida State) is now 2-2.

Whoops.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that goodwill that the ACC somewhat gained a couple weekends ago? Clemson beat Auburn, Florida State played Oklahoma tough, and Miami beat Ohio State.

Yeah, that was shortlived.

Cincinnati 44, NC State 14

Temple 38, Maryland 7

Southern Miss 30, Virginia 24

Kansas State 28, Miami 24

And their preseason pick to be the conference champion (Florida State) is now 2-2.

Whoops.

Virginia Tech is still unbeaten.

... just saying.

... just saying.

So is Georgia Tech. Both their mugs have been full of marshmellows so far. All that's missing from their schedules so far is the Barbizon School of Modeling and their local ABC Bartending School.

They better be 4-0.

You could say the same thing about Wisconsin, but I don't see anyone questioning their legitimacy.

... just saying.

So is Georgia Tech. Both their mugs have been full of marshmellows so far. All that's missing from their schedules so far is the Barbizon School of Modeling and their local ABC Bartending School.

They better be 4-0.

You could say the same thing about Wisconsin, but I don't see anyone questioning their legitimacy.

I do. Their defense is suspect (and they have a couple of injured D-backs). They could easily go 4-4 in the Big Ten. They absolutely beat nobody this non-conference year. And despite the scores, the other teams did move the ball some. Their offense is a awesome, but if Wilson goes down, they go from top 10 to bottom 10 FBS quarterback.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

... just saying.

They better be 4-0.

The Big Ten isn't out looking for respect the way the ACC is.

... just saying.

They better be 4-0.

How did the B1G fare head-to-head against the SEC last season? If you ask me, the SEC is perceived to be the "gold standard" of college football and everyone else is playing catch-up. That includes the B1G.

Wisconsin won't do itself any favors if it coasts through the B1G only to get paired up against Florida or Alabama or LSU in a BCS bowl, then end up crapping the bed and losing by 30.

... just saying.

They better be 4-0.

How did the B1G fare head-to-head against the SEC last season? If you ask me, the SEC is perceived to be the "gold standard" of college football and everyone else is playing catch-up. That includes the B1G.

Wisconsin won't do itself any favors if it coasts through the B1G only to get paired up against Florida or Alabama or LSU in a BCS bowl, then end up crapping the bed and losing by 30.

Ohio State beat* Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl...

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

... just saying.

They better be 4-0.

Do you have any respect for the smaller/mid-major schools?

spacer.png

They're right about VT and GT's schedules. I know Boise takes 99.9% of all :censored: about strength of schedule, but they have to deal with a long list of top programs that simply refuse to make a fair deal with them. There's NO excuse for a program like VT to only have one ranked team on their schedule, and even less excuse for them to be scheduling FCS schools when their conference is a joke. The Mountain West, at least, is arguably tougher than the ACC (and Big East, for that matter).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

... just saying.

They better be 4-0.

Do you have any respect for the smaller/mid-major schools?

I'm not trying to speak for him, but I don't think it's disrespect towards the mid-majors. It's disrespect for these "powerhouses" that schedule cupcake teams the first two weeks of the season and then play the worse of their conference the next two.

Ok, so I saw this stat today, and thought that the Indiana fans needed something to make them feel better. So this is it:

San Jose State hasn't beaten an FBS team not named New Mexico State since Nov 1, 2008.

There, now you know that you're not the most inept team in the nation!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The Mountain West, at least, is arguably tougher than the ACC (and Big East, for that matter).

Well, as much as I would like to see the Mountain West get a BCS bid, top to bottom I think those two conferences are stronger than the MWC*. OK, maybe not Duke, but I can see a BC/UVA or whoever in the smorgesborg of the Big East is in last can handle a New Mexico or UNLV. That being said, once half the Big East is raided and they're adding the service academies, then yes the MWC is stronger than the Big East in a sense

*HOWEVER, When it comes to the top of the conference, Boise can beat a Cincy or whatever Big East team will disappoint in a big matchup and at the very least give the top of the ACC a real close game, if not a win. Still, the top to bottom aspect changes that around a little.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Is it just me, or would anyone else LOVE to see Mike Leech at UNM? It would be so much fun to watch him take a program in shambles back to the top, where they once were (or if not the top, at least bowl eligible).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

BTW, can somebody explain to me how New Mexico got an NCAA violation? If you can't even win by cheating, it's time to shut down the football program. B)

Their former coach had a recruit come down, he got drunk, and then got pulled over driving said former coach's car.

Not sure if that's the reason for the violation, but it did happen.

BTW, can somebody explain to me how New Mexico got an NCAA violation? If you can't even win by cheating, it's time to shut down the football program. B)

Their former coach had a recruit come down, he got drunk, and then got pulled over driving said former coach's car.

It's definitely a violation, but it's far from being some sort of "Miami Hurricanes-sized scandal". More than anything, it was a good excuse for UNM to can his ass. Not sure how any school can tolerate a 2-26 record, but up til this weekend, New Mexico did.

6uXNWAo.png

It's definitely a violation, but it's far from being some sort of "Miami Hurricanes-sized scandal". More than anything, it was a good excuse for UNM to can his ass. Not sure how any school can tolerate a 2-26 record, but up til this weekend, New Mexico did.

As opposed to punching an assistant on the sidelines.

Somebody really needs to write a book about the Mike Locksley era. The only problem is that bookstores might accidentally shelve it in the fiction section.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Mountain West, at least, is arguably tougher than the ACC (and Big East, for that matter).

I wouldn't go that far. In fact, I'd say the Mountain West is in decline.

BYU and Utah are already gone, and TCU leaves after this season. With these three schools out of the Mountain West, Boise State is basically playing in a WAC-like conference again. (Unless the Mountain West has an expansion plan that hasn't been mentioned.)

Archived