2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Is it just me, or would anyone else LOVE to see Mike Leech at UNM?

No. I'd "LOVE" to see Mike Leach quietly disappear and never coach again. Sorry, but a coach who pulled the stuff Leach did needs to just go away. There are plenty of other whack-job coaches out there to choose from.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, can somebody explain to me how New Mexico got an NCAA violation? If you can't even win by cheating, it's time to shut down the football program. B)

Their former coach had a recruit come down, he got drunk, and then got pulled over driving said former coach's car.

Not sure if that's the reason for the violation, but it did happen.

It's definitely a violation, but it's far from being some sort of "Miami Hurricanes-sized scandal". More than anything, it was a good excuse for UNM to can his ass. Not sure how any school can tolerate a 2-26 record, but up til this weekend, New Mexico did.

As opposed to punching an assistant on the sidelines.

Somebody really needs to write a book about the Mike Locksley era. The only problem is that bookstores might accidentally shelve it in the fiction section.

Forget a book, I have found something better: A freaking Irish Ballad!

No. I'd "LOVE" to see Mike Leach quietly disappear and never coach again. Sorry, but a coach who pulled the stuff Leach did needs to just go away. There are plenty of other whack-job coaches out there to choose from.

You do realize that most of that story was made up by Craig James' son because he wasn't getting playing time, and then used his dad's media influence to get the coach fired right? Leach did nothing wrong. In fact, he did everything right. If you have a concussion, one of the best things to do is go into a dark room. James was just a pre madonna whiny punk.

You do realize that most of that story was made up by Craig James' son because he wasn't getting playing time, and then used his dad's media influence to get the coach fired right? Leach did nothing wrong. In fact, he did everything right. If you have a concussion, one of the best things to do is go into a dark room. James was just a pre madonna whiny punk.

You do not place anyone in a shed. period. If your drama teacher placed you in a closet during a practice after a piece of set fell on your head, how would your parents' feel about that?

Regardless of the words of former Tech OL, Glenn January or the training staff, if it was an issue with the Chancellor, then the Appeals Court will rule on it finally.

The truth between Leach and Tech (which includes) James is somewhere between what each claim, but where the arrow leads is something that those of us on the outside are not privy to. The courts have a better idea than any of us here. Personally, I think he was first up set that Bob Knight came in as a friend of Gerald Myers to garner more attention than the football team, then when Knight retired, he tried to make a powerplay for not only more money but to have additional influence with the Board of Trustees.

The out-of-work name coaches: Leach, RichRod, Mangino (who has is own problems), Bellotti, Leavitt (see Mangino), or any former FBS coach will probably not take the small salary UMN will offer which will probably be $1M or less. Plus, UNM is paying out $2.5M for coaches who are no longer there (2 football, 1 basketball).

Top FBS assistants: Kirby Smart, Gus Malzhan, Jim McElwain, Bud Foster, Brent Venables...are not going to take that job.

LSU's Jefferson and Johns have been reinstated.

AD Joe Alleva:

"We certainly don't condone participation in the incident, but the legal system has determined that their actions did not rise to the level originally charged, and their punishment to date related to football has already been considerable," Alleva said. "They will rejoin the team and begin practice immediately."

I can't believe that I didn't notice this until today*, being from the region and all, but I'm surprised--and impressed--that Southern Utah beat UNLV that bad. Even though I'm a Utah State student (and football fan), I'm thankful that I'm not a UNLV fan, either. Perhaps the T-Birds down in Cedar City are on the rise? :alien:

*It's probably a mix of schoolwork, studying for a test, and trying to forget another painful Utah State loss.

AD Joe Alleva:

"We certainly don't condone participation in the incident, but the legal system has determined that their actions did not rise to the level originally charged, and their punishment to date related to football has already been considerable," Alleva said. "They will rejoin the team and begin practice immediately."

That's great and all, but if I'm Les Miles, I keep starting Lee. He's done a fine job, better than what was expected, and I hate to see them mess with the team's sync.

AD Joe Alleva:

Lee is going to remain the starter. At least if LSU is smart he will.

AD Joe Alleva:

But Josh Johns is another defensive body which they can throw into the roster.

You do not place anyone in a shed. period. If your drama teacher placed you in a closet during a practice after a piece of set fell on your head, how would your parents' feel about that?

Regardless of the words of former Tech OL, Glenn January or the training staff, if it was an issue with the Chancellor, then the Appeals Court will rule on it finally.

The truth between Leach and Tech (which includes) James is somewhere between what each claim, but where the arrow leads is something that those of us on the outside are not privy to. The courts have a better idea than any of us here. Personally, I think he was first up set that Bob Knight came in as a friend of Gerald Myers to garner more attention than the football team, then when Knight retired, he tried to make a powerplay for not only more money but to have additional influence with the Board of Trustees.

The out-of-work name coaches: Leach, RichRod, Mangino (who has is own problems), Bellotti, Leavitt (see Mangino), or any former FBS coach will probably not take the small salary UMN will offer which will probably be $1M or less. Plus, UNM is paying out $2.5M for coaches who are no longer there (2 football, 1 basketball).

Top FBS assistants: Kirby Smart, Gus Malzhan, Jim McElwain, Bud Foster, Brent Venables...are not going to take that job.

I'd love to see New Mexico go with a familiar name and give a newcomer a chance and see if Stoney Case is interested. He ran a good offense and was a capable quarterback. Plus he knows the school could be a good idea or.. A failure. Worth a shot now.

AD Joe Alleva:

Exactly. Like Herm Edwards says, "Don't mess with the chacha." LSU has looked good so far with Lee at the helm. Don't mess up a good thing.

Are CBS showing all three Military Academy games? They're showing the Air Force-Navy game in Annapolis at Noon Eastern saturday?

CBS just has the Air Force-Navy game (Which is part of a tripleheader in itself). CBS Sports Network has the Tulane-Army game.

So, in a way... Yeah. CBS has all three Military Academy teams on their networks.

Are CBS showing all three Military Academy games? They're showing the Air Force-Navy game in Annapolis at Noon Eastern saturday?

CBS just has the Air Force-Navy game (Which is part of a tripleheader in itself). CBS Sports Network has the Tulane-Army game.

So, in a way... Yeah. CBS has all three Military Academy teams on their networks.

CBS has the Army-Navy game at the end of the season.

Versus has the Air Force-Army next month.

Archived