2011 NFL sideline caps

slats7

If the Vikings relocate which they should, they should get rid of the worst color combo in sports. Purple and yellow

hahahaha....wow. That dude has lost his mind.

It just does not work for me. I'm fine with the purple don't get me wrong but yellow kills every color combo.

Agree to disagree for sure. What about the Packers?!?

Tennessee+Titans+v+Green+Bay+Packers+6e81IhJtTTql.jpg

Yellow makes these:

GYI0061620136_crop_450x500.jpg?1284354847

Redskins going to gold pants is probably the best decision the franchise has made in the last 12 years. What's scary is, that's not that far-fetched of a statement.

Fully disagree about the yellow ruining comobos...this is the best alternate jersey in sports:

x350.jpg350x.jpg

And the brewers old color scheme is the best they've ever had. Yellow MAKES any combo great, not the other way around.

Anubis.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not feelin' em this year... then again, I am a basic one color with team logo flex-fit man.

Harry and Pat have valid points... being on the other side of the fence, I'm sure the majority of people on these boards aren't aware of all the work that goes into presenting a finalized product. I don't think I speak for myself when I say sometimes I can be a little bummed at the end of a project because an idea has deviated so far from its' initial concept and direction. There are a lot of great ideas brought to the table in initial rounds of development, but designers can only do so much to ensure that their concepts reach latter phases of a project.

It's easy to throw little concepts up on these boards and bash them, but I wonder if a lot of people ever consider that an artist probably fought hard (and yes, it is a fight at times to get your point across) to put what they felt was a better idea in front of people that make decisions on stuff like this... Probably not. The truth of the matter is it can be a rather exhausting process at times... There are a few projects I've worked on that started off with so much enthusiasm that drove me to the point where I couldn't wait to be done with it! Season after season, months of conceptualization, revisions, late changes, conversions, etc. can lead to a lot of mental wear and tear at times... it can actually be physically exhausting!

IMO, when dealing with clients like the NFL, NBA, etc., a lot of times, there's a lot bigger discussion than whether or not something "looks good"... and even if it were solely based on that aspect alone, the people making the calls may have a different opinion than yours.

I know I may be preaching to the choir for some of you on here, but due to my own personal experiences on these boards, that's probably why I'm a little less judgmental and heavy-handed when it comes to constructive criticism than some of you are.

That's about as well as anyone's ever said it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yellow makes these:

GYI0061620136_crop_450x500.jpg?1284354847

Gold makes those.

It would be gold if that was a photo of the Saints, but it's not. It's whiz yellow.

Don't be ashamed of the actual name of your favorite team's color. Embrace it and own it. "Correcting" those who speak the truth every time someone identifies the yellow on the Redskins as yellow is much like Linus insisting the Great Pumpkin will rise from the pumpkin patch on Halloween night. Sure it's cute at first, and maybe even a little endearing, but after a long while it begins to make others question your sanity.

FTR, the Packers' yellow helmet doesn't match the yellow on their pants. Must be particularly difficult to do ? LSU has the same difficulties.

>sigh<

Huge difference between Athletic Gold and Yellow. Just as there is a huge difference between Teal and Columbia Blue, or Teal and Kelly Green.

Wouldn't think that it would so often come up in a community like this one.

The Packers have the same problem with their pants/helmets that the Jets do with theirs - match materials under some conditions (natural light, in person) and they don't quite match in others (photography, artificial light).

>sigh<

Huge difference between Athletic Gold and Yellow. Just as there is a huge difference between Teal and Columbia Blue, or Teal and Kelly Green.

The Packers have the same problem with their pants/helmets that the Jets do with theirs - match materials under some conditions (natural light, in person) and they don't quite match in others (photography, artificial light).

ColorWerx will hopefully chime in here, but athletic gold and yellow is totally different than teal and kelly green. There are some cases where one team will call a color athletic gold and another team will call the same exact color yellow.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

You can't go on what teams call their colours. Teams can call them whatever they want. The Lakers called their purple "Forum Blue" for a while. It didn't make the colour any less purple though.

Yellow and athletic gold are similar, sure. There's a difference though.

>sigh<

It's so cute to virtually sigh to show disdain.

The bottom line here is that the word "yellow" doesn't sound as good to some as "gold" does, and so they change definitions to suit their fancy. Yellow is connotated with cowards and pee, so I can see the reason why one might not want to be associated with it, but making the yellow a tad darker and feverishly proclaiming it "gold" doesn't make it true.

Gold looks like... gold. Not a lemon.

No, no, no.

You do yourself no credit when you speculate on the motives of others' opinions. Worse yet, you're almost always wrong.

We use the term "athletic gold" because there has to be a way of differentiating between the orange-y color worn by the Packers and Steelers with a true yellow, which is much lighter on color.

Athletic gold is not yellow any more than teal is the same as green, though they are related colors. Add blue to green and you can get teal. Add red to yellow (but stop before you hit orange) and you get athletic gold.

Feverishly proclaiming the non-existence of a color which has been recognized for hundreds of years (not to mention one which is part of the fundamental Web palette) does not make that so.

No, no, no.

You do yourself no credit when you speculate on the motives of others' opinions. Worse yet, you're almost always wrong.

We use the term "athletic gold" because there has to be a way of differentiating between the orange-y color worn by the Packers and Steelers with a true yellow, which is much lighter on color.

Athletic gold is not yellow any more than teal is the same as green, though they are related colors. Add blue to green and you can get teal. Add red to yellow (but stop before you hit orange) and you get athletic gold.

Feverishly proclaiming the non-existence of a color which has been recognized for hundreds of years (not to mention one which is part of the fundamental Web palette) does not make that so.

The fact that you just called what the Packers and Steelers wear "orange-y" might as well be a giant neon sign that says "Hi! I'm perpetually in denial." This kind of insanity is exactly why I suggest those who insist yellow is not yellow must have some sort of ulterior motive for claiming such, like shame of the association of yellow with cowardice and whiz. Maybe I'm off in exactly why they deny what's apparent to everyone in the rational world as if they were a politician with a Twitter account and a camera phone. The motive may or may not be correct, but the nuttiness of the panicky proffering of yellow as gold is plain as day.

Just like any other color, there are many shades that fall within the spectrum. What your Packers and the Steelers wear does not fall outside the spectrum of what rational human beings recognize as yellow. It is not Orange. Or orange-y. It is not gold. Nor is it any other color than yellow. Is there variation between Packer pants and Pantone process yellow? Of course. Would even school children, when shown a pair of the Packer's uni pants, call it anything other than yellow?

Like I said, recognize it, own it and embrace it. Yellow is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sorta.

sideline.jpg

If the Vikings relocate which they should, they should get rid of the worst color combo in sports. Purple and yellow

Yes, the Vikings surely should move. They've only sold out every game since 1998. GET RID OF EM!

And A classic and original color combo. I never hate on anyone for having an opinion, but lets just say I strongly disagree with what you're laying down here :)

Not feelin' em this year... then again, I am a basic one color with team logo flex-fit man.

Harry and Pat have valid points... being on the other side of the fence, I'm sure the majority of people on these boards aren't aware of all the work that goes into presenting a finalized product. I don't think I speak for myself when I say sometimes I can be a little bummed at the end of a project because an idea has deviated so far from its' initial concept and direction. There are a lot of great ideas brought to the table in initial rounds of development, but designers can only do so much to ensure that their concepts reach latter phases of a project.

It's easy to throw little concepts up on these boards and bash them, but I wonder if a lot of people ever consider that an artist probably fought hard (and yes, it is a fight at times to get your point across) to put what they felt was a better idea in front of people that make decisions on stuff like this... Probably not. The truth of the matter is it can be a rather exhausting process at times... There are a few projects I've worked on that started off with so much enthusiasm that drove me to the point where I couldn't wait to be done with it! Season after season, months of conceptualization, revisions, late changes, conversions, etc. can lead to a lot of mental wear and tear at times... it can actually be physically exhausting!

IMO, when dealing with clients like the NFL, NBA, etc., a lot of times, there's a lot bigger discussion than whether or not something "looks good"... and even if it were solely based on that aspect alone, the people making the calls may have a different opinion than yours.

I know I may be preaching to the choir for some of you on here, but due to my own personal experiences on these boards, that's probably why I'm a little less judgmental and heavy-handed when it comes to constructive criticism than some of you are.

That's about as well as anyone's ever said it.

Agreed. The bigger the project, the more watered down it gets, because its got to have a far-reach.

These are a bit gaudy, but I know I'll see a TON of them on people this fall, so thats what they're going for.

gold_bars.jpg

Looks pretty close the the color the Packers and Steelers wear, no?

Minnesota+Vikings+v+Green+Bay+Packers+0vYo9zTl9egl.jpg

I think we can safely say athletic gold is, well, gold, and quit trying to call it yellow all the time. Yellow is much less orange than athletic gold.

53215207_15b9fa2f17.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Gold bullion is completely different than athletic gold. Just because you have a photo with odd lighting doesn't mean gold is the same as athletic gold.

And maize isn't true yellow either.

FWIW, yellow is PMS 108. Athletic gold is PMS 123. They are technically two distinct colors.

Do the Steelers wear two different shades? Yes. According to Colorwerx's site, Pittsburgh regular uniforms use athletic gold. The throwbacks use yellow. Can you tell a difference? Maybe only with HD.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Poncho, you appear to have learned many words without actually understanding what they mean. :P

Tell you what - next time you're writing Web code, call out "gold" and see what color your browser gives you.

Seems as though your beef isn't with me, but with reality.

Web code definitions are what equates to reality? A code writer decides what gold is? Spoken like someone without a Pantone swatch book.

My beef is with those who wish to change definitions to suit their fancy. Like yourself.

Poncho, you appear to have learned many words without actually understanding what they mean. :P

Tell you what - next time you're writing Web code, call out "gold" and see what color your browser gives you.

Seems as though your beef isn't with me, but with reality.

Web code definitions are what equates to reality? A code writer decides what gold is? Spoken like someone without a Pantone swatch book.

My beef is with those who wish to change definitions to suit their fancy. Like yourself.

Not just Web standards or athletic suppliers, but heraldry, agriculture, the military, the textile industry and so on.

The name "Gold" has been used to describe the color in question for hundreds of years. I'm not the one trying to re-define words to fit his personal preferences.

gold_bars.jpg

Looks pretty close the the color the Packers and Steelers wear, no?

goldd.jpg

How much does your gold look like Packer helmets now? Colors depend on consistent lighting - as I've shown. One odd color treated photo is not truly a basis for judging colors.

The NFL plays under relatively consistent lighting conditions, so that's not usually a problem to the degree your gold picture is.

I think this quick question might help clarify my position and why I hold it:

Does the general public, or has anyone ever in the history of time and space, referred to the color of a school bus as "Athletic gold"? Why the heck not, if it's so clearly apparent?

helmetbus.jpg

Archived