Four Major US Broadcast Networks

njmeadowlanders

Unknown-1.jpgUnkndown.jpgUnknown-2.jpgimages.jpg

Which of the 4 major US Broadcast networks do you think could most desperately use an update? I was thinking ABC may need to update from something that looks stuck in 1977 but NBC has so much potential they could stand to modernize the peacock and their font, don't you think?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

NBC is far and away the best logo of the four. I'd dump the searchlights from the Fox logo (though they're rarely used anymore) - "FOX" can stand on its own by now. CBS' eye should never change.

As for ABC... it's tough to say if they should do anything with that logo, really. Perhaps a modernization of the font used. I wouldn't stray from having a lowercase abc in a bullet though - that logo is very recognizable. They did modernize it with some chrome a few years back, but that obviously doesn't show up in print.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Paul Rand created the ABC logo in 1962. Folks in the biz have always called it the "meatball" logo.

NBC has had their current incarnation of the peacock since 1986. I actually preferred the "snake" logo used from 1959 thru 1975. I'd like to see that one revived.

CBS has had the eye since 1951. It should stay forever.

Fox is the one that needs to change. "FOX" looks boring to me.

I agree about FOX. I'm not a fan of the logo or the channel. I've always seen it as the 3 major channels and FOX. Something about it doesn't seem as successful as the rest. Maybe that the first thing I think of is Simpsons, Family Guy and American Idol, while the other channels are more sophisticated? Better shows, better design teams, and all around better experience.

I agree about FOX. I'm not a fan of the logo or the channel. I've always seen it as the 3 major channels and FOX. Something about it doesn't seem as successful as the rest. Maybe that the first thing I think of is Simpsons, Family Guy and American Idol, while the other channels are more sophisticated? Better shows, better design teams, and all around better experience.

That's probably because the "Big 3" have several decades on FOX. For as young of a network as FOX is, I'd say it's doing pretty well against the Big 3.

Also, I hadn't realized this 'til now, but I've watched way more shows on FOX in my life than any of the Big 3. I actually liked a lot of their shows in the late '90's and early 2000's. Nowadays I hardly ever watch it, except for the occasional baseball game.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

• 4 weeks later...

I agree... it's weird how the abc logo looks so quintessentially 1977 when it was created 15 years earlier. I'd say it should be changed, but they have over 3 generations' worth of cache behind it, so I'm not sure how they could tweak it without looking jarring.

I also think Fox needs to bring back the searchlights, their logo is too boring without them. It also has the added bonus of evoking the time when it was actually a decent network.

One thing NBC has always been good at is creating logos that show off its technological prowess. The peacock was originally used at the start of color broadcasts back when that was a big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_oHJt_V5M

The "snake," to show off smooth computer animation.

Paul Rand hates this thread

id say CBS just because of the typeface. it has such a sci-fi feel to it, like it should be on the space shuttle. its not a terrible typeface for a network, but its just not serious enough for CBS. better suited for something new and fresh

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like all of the NBC logos, old and current. I also like the thing that everyone seems to dislike about the ABC logo, which is the font. I've always loved that font for some reason. Yeah, it looks dated, but if the CBS font is indicative of a 'current' font, no thanks.

NBC is by far the best, as a few of you have stated. I think ABC definitely needs the biggest upgrade. This thread reminds me of "scary" TV logos. DOes anyone know what I am talking about? Back when I was a kid, I would get scared of some of the logos and music that production companies used. This is actually a common thing on Youtube, I have learned. Many people were afraid of these logos (and the incredibly dischordant "music" that goes along with them)- one even has a name. The Viacom "V of Doom."

If you go on Youtube and search "scary TV logos" so many videos and comments will come up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LP2Vhimz8&feature=related

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

NBC is by far the best, as a few of you have stated. I think ABC definitely needs the biggest upgrade. This thread reminds me of "scary" TV logos. DOes anyone know what I am talking about? Back when I was a kid, I would get scared of some of the logos and music that production companies used. This is actually a common thing on Youtube, I have learned. Many people were afraid of these logos (and the incredibly dischordant "music" that goes along with them)- one even has a name. The Viacom "V of Doom."

If you go on Youtube and search "scary TV logos" so many videos and comments will come up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LP2Vhimz8&feature=related

^awesome...

I think all of the network logos are great. NBC is best, fox is worst, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should change it. I like the ABC font myself... If anything should be tweaked, its the CBS font, but the eye logo itself is great.

I work as a director for a CBS affiliate in La Crosse Wisconsin, they have seen some logo upgrades over the past four years that I have been here.

When I started in 2007, this was their current: 2je1dp3.jpg

In early 2008 they upgraded their look to this: 2mhwfnq.jpg

And in 2010, they dropped the word Channel from "NewsChannel 8" and branded themselves as "News 8" and we currently use this logo: k2lgjt.jpg

The current one is a huge upgrade in my opinion.

Station Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKBT

Archived