Best defunct team logo

Chawls

IMO, this one is the best... 1094.gif

...with this one being a very close 2nd:

1340.gif

What logos do you guys think are the best?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

de·funct

(adjective)

Having ceased to exist or live

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

The Houston Colt 45s are now the Houston Astros, they don't count. They didn't cease to exist, only a name change, just as Washington Bullets/Wizards

what is the crusader one from? its not the cleveland browns is it?

It's a logo for the old St. Louis Browns badeball team (the present-day Baltimore Orioles).

Also, isn't a crusader. It's the statue of King Louis IX of France, aka Saint Louis, from the city of St. Louis. Louis IX is the city's namesake.

I think it's open to any logo that's no longer in use. So with that in mind I'm going to agree with griffinmarlins and say the Hartford Whalers logo.

More speficially, name changes as well as defunct teams, so, for example, the Houston Oilers and Seattle SuperSonics could apply, if anyone so chose them.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

For me, this discussion begins and ends with the Whalers and St. Louis Browns. That Browns logo posted above, while it seems almost like something out of European soccer, is a thing of beauty.

Some others I like:

1216.gif

Always had an affinity for this old Giants logo. The script is so 1950's and very New York at the same time.

pi0ghail1fxdk03d9dugghe6b.gif

(It's a shame this one was only really used for half a season. The "C" fits this logo way better than the "O".

581.gif

Simple, classic, recognizable. The Houston Oilers really had a great identity.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Can you guys explain why you chose your particular logos? For example, I chose the Colt .45s because I LOVE how the C in Colts serves as the smoke coming out of the pistol. As for the St. Louis Browns, I really like the use of the silhouette of Saint Louis himself, for which the city gets its namesake, and, as mentioned, how it looks like a really nice soccer logo.

BUFFALO BISONS Hockey logo

The team was owned by the Pepsi bottling company

Way ahead of it's time with the way corporate sponsors now have their own logo on the front of the soccer shirts.

16775122_400x400.jpg536563.jpg

Archived