NBA Finals 2011

JoseJames

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh, I've always hated that script logo. That should have been retired a long time ago.

My favorite has always been this one:

6SDx.jpg

I can't think of any reason as to why they dumped it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Ehh, I've always hated that script logo. That should have been retired a long time ago.

6SDx.jpg

I can't think of any reason as to why they dumped it - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

+1

The Finals script is something retro with a touch of modern isn't

6SDx.jpg

This one is very "broke" thats why they fixed it. Theres a lot wrong with it, especially the boring font and awkward yellow text mixed with a white drop shadow? At least the script is unique. The old one looks like it belongs in the 90s

6SDx.jpg

This one is very "broke" thats why they fixed it. Theres a lot wrong with it, especially the boring font and awkward yellow text mixed with a white drop shadow? At least the script is unique. The old one looks like it belongs in the 90s

Well you're entitled to that opinion, but the reason I hate the current is because it looks like a motion picture awards show logo. It's better suited for something of that nature - the late 90's-early 2000's logo looked like a legitimate sports championship logo. That's the key difference to me, and why I personally think the previous logo beats the current out of the water.

I mean, "elegant" cursive script just doesn't fit as a sports championship logo. It works for an invitation to the White House or the Academy Awards, but not on banners, playing surfaces, and memorabilia at a sports arena.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

6SDx.jpg

Well you're entitled to that opinion, but the reason I hate the current is because it looks like a motion picture awards show logo. It's better suited for something of that nature - the late 90's-early 2000's logo looked like a legitimate sports championship logo. That's the key difference to me, and why I personally think the previous logo beats the current out of the water.

I mean, "elegant" cursive script just doesn't fit as a sports championship logo. It works for an invitation to the White House or the Academy Awards, but not on banners, playing surfaces, and memorabilia at a sports arena.

I disagree, I like the current script. It looks very classy. That old one looks like it's from a video game. An old video game.

Besides, with all of the drama that is the NBA, it makes sense to have a motion picture awards show-type appearance.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The "Finals" script is one of the classiest most timeless special-event marks in all of sports. Seeing it on the court automatically tells you that what you're watching is a big deal (for reasons other than the obvious that it literally reads "Finals.")

This goes back to the '80s, yes? You'd never know it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okay, I see all of your points. It's just my humble opinion that it's a little too elegant for a sports championship, that's all.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I found some Finals logos from 1999 and 2001:

1999 Primary Mark - gradient version:

NBAFinals1999_PML1a_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

1999 Primary Mark - metallic alternate version:

NBAFinals1999_PML2a_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

1999 Secondary Mark:

NBAFinals1999_SEL1a_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

2001 Primary Mark:

NBAFinals2001_PML1a_2001_SOL_SRGB.png

2001 Partial Mark:

NBAFinals2001_PAR1a_2001_SOL_SRGB.png

Makes sense they would put the NBA Finals logo there. The playoffs and conference finals logos are there. Putting the Finals logo inside the 3-point arc only made sense when they had the giant trophy at mid-court. With that gone, might as well have the Finals script near mid-court.

Unrelated question: Why does the NHL insist on "Stanley Cup Final" instead of "Finals"? By their rational, shouldn't they also call it the "Eastern (or Western) Conference Final"?

Unrelated question: Why does the NHL insist on "Stanley Cup Final" instead of "Finals"? By their rational, shouldn't they also call it the "Eastern (or Western) Conference Final"?

Maybe to be different?

I was reading a couple years back that the NBA as trademarked the term "The Finals," and as a result the NHL is forced to use the term Stanley Cup Final. Still sounds weird to me as well. Here's a copy of the trademark.

Trademark Link

x0y5nq.png

Archived