Canadian Hockey League 2011-2012

zer0dotcom

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Majors were sold today, and one of the stipulations of the sale was that the team no longer go by the St. Michael's Majors name, which will be returned to St. Michael's College School, so they'll be completely re-branded for next season.

I'm really nervous as to what the new logos and unis will look like.

I'm a huge Majors fan and I love their current identity so I'm upset about this.

Bring back the Beehives!

There's actually a street in Mississauga called Dixie, which is about 2 km from the Hershey Centre, so that may work.

I heard through the grapevine that they may just shorten their name to the Mississauga Majors. However, there is a youth baseball team in Mississauga with that name (who I used to play for) so that may not happen either.

As an ex-Mississaugan, I would love to see the return of either the Derbys or the Beehives...a couple of historic local team names. I started playing hockey at the old Dixie Arena Gardens many many years ago...

Simply, the "Majors" work for me. I boycotted the St Mike Majors simply because I have no affiliation with the school and wanted nothing to do with it. The colours work will for the city anyways. Too bad Saginaw has the "Spirit" because I would have suggested that.

No way it should be the Derbys or Beehives. Even for a city like Mississauga, those names are too "regional" Do you really think someone from Cooksville or Erindale would go for a team called the "Derbys"? :P

I saw, I came, I left.

That Streetsville Derbys logo is adorably crappy. I think it has Brush Script and everything. Do they not exist anymore? I thought they were one of the more important Junior A teams, inasmuch as I have heard of them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Majors were sold today, and one of the stipulations of the sale was that the team no longer go by the St. Michael's Majors name, which will be returned to St. Michael's College School, so they'll be completely re-branded for next season.

I'm really nervous as to what the new logos and unis will look like.

I'm a huge Majors fan and I love their current identity so I'm upset about this.

Bring back the Beehives!

There's actually a street in Mississauga called Dixie, which is about 2 km from the Hershey Centre, so that may work.

I heard through the grapevine that they may just shorten their name to the Mississauga Majors. However, there is a youth baseball team in Mississauga with that name (who I used to play for) so that may not happen either.

As an ex-Mississaugan, I would love to see the return of either the Derbys or the Beehives...a couple of historic local team names. I started playing hockey at the old Dixie Arena Gardens many many years ago...

Simply, the "Majors" work for me. I boycotted the St Mike Majors simply because I have no affiliation with the school and wanted nothing to do with it. The colours work will for the city anyways. Too bad Saginaw has the "Spirit" because I would have suggested that.

No way it should be the Derbys or Beehives. Even for a city like Mississauga, those names are too "regional" Do you really think someone from Cooksville or Erindale would go for a team called the "Derbys"? :P

You are absolutely right about the "regional" nature of the names...no argument here! My region was Dixie, hence my support for the Beehives. I still think of Mississauga as many separate communities, rather than as one large entity.

Looking at the three options set out by the team, I'd have to go with the Lakers. Steelheads sounds too Hamilton, Helmsmen sounds like a backing band for Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins, and Lakers...well, there is that great lake on the southern side of Mississauga.

I can haz sig?

Is Dixie Outlet Malls too regional, too?

l.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think they must have repainted the goalposts for the Memorial Cup final at Centre Bionest in Shawinigan ? there's red paint rubbing off on the London Knights goalie's jersey!

I think they must have repainted the goalposts for the Memorial Cup final at Centre Bionest in Shawinigan ? there's red paint rubbing off on the London Knights goalie's jersey!

I just assumed it was a sunburn from the last game against Shawinigan.

I personally think there are too many teams in the GTA. Mississauga and Brampton's attendance were absolutely atrocious.

There's alot of talk of Cornwall possibly being a relocation city; and even North Bay which is minor-hockey mad. The return of the Royals and Centennials...

It would really help the north by putting another team up there, plus just imagine the rivalry between North Bay and Sudbury.

I personally think there are too many teams in the GTA. Mississauga and Brampton's attendance were absolutely atrocious.

There's alot of talk of Cornwall possibly being a relocation city; and even North Bay which is minor-hockey mad. The return of the Royals and Centennials...

It would really help the north by putting another team up there, plus just imagine the rivalry between North Bay and Sudbury.

The Centennials left because no one was following them, and they had an old arena.

Do they have a new rink yet?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Thunder Bay is way too far from the rest of the OHL to have a team. It's about as far from Sault Ste. Marie as it is from Winnipeg, and Soo is about that far from the GTA. They're also too far east for the WHL. Poor Thunder Bay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Centennials left because no one was following them, and they had an old arena.

Do they have a new rink yet?

They had a following, I was in North bay that final year and people went to the games. The community raised $2.5 million to buy the team, but the owner still sold it to Saginaw. North Bay won Hockeyville in 2008, and got a big update to the arena. Right now they have a Junior B team and the University has started a UAO team out of the arena. They could still host an OHL team with ease.

Houser has had that red mark on the back of his jersey throughout most of the season. Not just on that one, but all of them.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Archived