Hello / First Thread / Crushers Program I designed

54Chevy

Hello All-

I post comments here once and awhile, but enjoy checking in on others' work and concepts often. There's a lot of good stuff here, and wanted to put up a piece I recently completed. Here's a program cover I did for the Lake Erie Crushers, a minor league team that plays in the Frontier League.

It may appear orange on some monitors, but the actual program is red.

DY_COVER.jpg

Wow... perfect.

Hello All-

I post comments here once and awhile, but enjoy checking in on others' work and concepts often. There's a lot of good stuff here, and wanted to put up a piece I recently completed. Here's a program cover I did for the Lake Erie Crushers, a minor league team that plays in the Frontier League.

It may appear orange on some monitors, but the actual program is red.

DY_COVER.jpg

This is absolutely gorgeous. Very intimidating for someone who is just just just starting out.

Thanks, and don't be intimidated. You said yourself you're just starting out. We all "started out" at one time, and keep working to improve.

I like the font choices. The shading on the left forearm looks a little odd to me - I guess the light is coming from his back? That would make it make sense I guess. The other odd thing would be the ear flap on the helmet - it looks remarkably 2d, when the rest of the helmet and face are 3d. I guess the shading implies that it's raised from the face and therefore producing a shadow, but it just looks a little off to me. Overall excellent work though!

Agreed. Great overall concept and typographic execution. The illustration could use a little more love and exploration, but a solid A- all around. I'm from Avon Lake and went to a Crushers' game or two before I moved.

i was pretty happy with how the face and helmet area turned out. I agree that the hand/arm could have been worked further, but it was due and the client was very happy. To keep the vintage feel, I didn't want to show batting gloves (like my reference), so the arm and hand ended up being completely in shadow, as opposed to seeing the contrast between skin and glove.

I live in Bay Village, so we weren't too far apart.

Archived