illwauk's National League

illwauk

Exactly what it says up top... in a parallel world where I am king of the universe, this is what the National League looks like.

You may notice that some of the links are bold and others are not. This is because some teams have uniforms that are impossible to improve upon (or had, in the case of the Mets) and rather than go through the trouble of designing something that features only superficial changes, I've simply linked to the appropriate uniform on the mothership. However, the links in bold are my own original work and each team has at least one original redesign.

Arizona Diamondbacks

Home / Road / Alt

Atlanta Braves

Home / Road / Alt

Chicago Cubs

Home / Road / Alt

(Bonus: Road v2)

Cincinnati Reds

Home / Road / Alt

Colorado Rockies

Home / Road / Alt / Logo

Houston Astros

Home / Road / Alt / Logo

Los Angeles Dodgers

Home / Road / Home Alt / Road Alt / Alt Patch

Miami Marlins

Home / Road / Alt / Logo

(Bonus: Road v2 / Road v3)

Milwaukee Brewers

Home / Road / Home Alt / Road Alt

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Home / Road / Home Alt / Road Alt / Alt Patch

St. Louis Cardinals

Home / Road

Washington Nationals

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arizona Diamondbacks

Home / Road / Alt

I decided to lead off with the Diamondbacks because this was one of my favorite concepts to do as the American Southwest has a lot of elements that incorporate very easily into a baseball uniform. While I can understand why they abandoned their original color pallette, teal... or Arizona Turquoise if you prefer... is very appropriate for a team from this region, so I brought it back along with a lighter version of the original copper to use along with the current Sedona Red. I also gave a much needed update to the very dated A monogram.

The biggest problem with the Diamondbacks identity is that the name is just too damned long to fit on the front of the jersey in a contemporary way. I addressed this by using the monogram on the homes, which turned out much better than I expected. However, I still wanted to try putting the team name on a jersey, so that's what I attempted with the alt and I have to say I'm satisfied with how that turned out as well. Overall, this is probably one of the strongest baseball concepts I've ever done which made it an easy choice to be the first out the gate.

I like your take on the D-Backs kinda a mix of the old green and the new red and I think it works. I also like your pant and collar stripe. My only complaint is that you got ride of the D Snake IMO it is the strongest logo the D-Backs have and the A you replaced it with just doesn't fill the void. Overall a real good way to start off a thread.

Also you say that her you are king of the universe. So if your king of the universe why can't you change some of the teams jerseys? It your universe do want you want. ;)

I like your take on the D-Backs kinda a mix of the old green and the new red and I think it works. I also like your pant and collar stripe. My only complaint is that you got ride of the D Snake IMO it is the strongest logo the D-Backs have and the A you replaced it with just doesn't fill the void. Overall a real good way to start off a thread.

'preciate it, man! I'm not getting rid of the D-Snake per se, I just don't see a reason to include it on the uniforms when they already have a snake logo that conveys the nickname in a more thorough (it says "DB" instead of just "D") and clever way.

Also you say that her you are king of the universe. So if your king of the universe why can't you change some of the teams jerseys? It your universe do want you want. ;)

Just because King illwauk lords over all that has ever and will ever exist doesn't mean he refuses to respect the history and/or aesthetic beauty that's attached to some of those uniforms. Besides, without any restraint, the poor Cubs would be trotting out to the field in floral (pansies!) patterned uniforms, so it's a good thing he's more benevolent than that B)

The D-Backs are awesome. I don't know about the wordmark on the alt, but the cap is cool, and the home and away sets are fantastic. Numbers remind me of the LA Kings and I think it works perfectly.

Wish you would change the Phillies' road to include the unused "Philadelphia" script.

I don't know about the wordmark on the alt

To be honest, neither am I... that's why it's on the alt and not the primary. But I wanted to try to get the name on a jersey and believe it or not, that was the least awkward way to do it. Although I do like how it gave me an excuse to create a style of script that's seen little use since the early 20th century.

Wish you would change the Phillies' road to include the unused "Philadelphia" script.

I forgot all about that script (it's not even on the mothership). I'll unlink the Phillies roads provided I can find a decent enough copy of the it.

That is Kirsty... good catch.

St. Louis Cardinals

Home / Road

The Redbirds have what I consider to be the single greatest baseball uniforms of all time... and this is coming from a Brewers fan. For that reason, I didn't get too creative here and wanted to get them out of the way early, so I stuck them in the 2-hole. In fact, what I did do was pretty obvious in that I changed what is the only true flaw about the Cards' look... the lack of a city name on the road greys. The hats are based on what they wore from 1940-1955 which I added simply because they feature more red than their current road hats. The Cardinals are also the only NL team that has never had an alt, so between all the tradition this club in steeped in and the lack of a decent uniform to base a throwback off of, I decided not to force one on them.

Colorado Rockies

Home / Road / Alt / Logo

I was inspired to do this concept when I came across a set of old west style numbers that were most famously used by the White Sox in the late 70s. I started thinking of teams that could pull it off and immediately thought of the Rockies. I've also felt for awhile that the Rockies should drop the black and try to own purple since they're the only team in MLB who uses it.

My theory when designing uniforms is that unique colors should be used to create simple uniforms (and conversely, common color palettes should be used to create unique uniforms) and since purple is unique to the Rockies, I went very minimalist here. I kept the pinstripes as a link to their past, but gave their logo an appropriate tweaking. I also ditched the CR monogram and replaced it with an appropriately western-styled C to match the new font.

Not too bad on the Rockies concept. I generally am not a fan of ditching the CR but I think you pulled it off. Couple things, I think maybe the wordmark and numbers would work better with a grey outline that matches the mountain color, also, not a real fan of the pinstripe two tone hat. Other than that this is really nice. Really like the third. Agree, they should own purple and dump black.

Arizona: I dunno, that rusty red and that original teal color really don't work well for me. It feels like you took two decent color combos and shmooshed them together. I'd say go one way or the other and it would work out a lot better.

Colorado: That home would be an awesome fauxback alt, but the other two don't really do it for me. I agree with Lights Out that it's way too old timey for a team that's only been around since '93. The rest of the set just seems kinda blah. It almost reminds me of a purple White Sox fauxback set.

St. Louis: Now that's a sweet uni.

That Colorado concept is fantastic. I think it'd be perfect if the cap logo were an interlocking "CR" like the current, but in the old-timey font of course. Also, I like the idea of a white cap, but I think the purple cap would work best at home.

I have to say also...Colorado's logo is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing - that's the best Rockies logo concept I've ever seen on here in all honesty. You've updated it beautifully, and that old-timey font works even better with the logo than the original did. Great, great work!

Thanks for the C&C guys... I'm definitely not opposed to going back in and tweaking some of these after all the teams have been posted, so keep it coming!

Miami Marlins

Home / Road / Alt / Logo

Batting clean-up in the series, we have the team that represents South Florida and my zodiac sign, the soon to be rechristened Miami Marlins.

I, like many in the CCSLC, feel that the Marlins de-emphasis on teal has been a mistake... one that I've attempted to rectify here. But instead of simply reverting back to the original 1993 uniforms, I decided to base a new look on the art deco architecture and signage that downtown Miami is known for. I gave the script and numbers a subtle drop-shadow not unlike what can be seen on many posters from the heyday of the art deco style. I also decided to use my own version of the M-Fish monogram in the scripts which led to me creating three different versions of the road script... one with the fish jumping through each individual M, and one with fish jumping through both M's. I wound up choosing the latter on the rationale that if the Cardinals can pull off two birds then the Marlins should be able to pull off two fish, although that may be a bit much for some people. Overall, these turned out much better than expected and I await your critiques :D

I REALLY like the Marlins. The move back toward teal is great, and I love the font you used. Very Miami. I do have a few suggestions though. First, I would put the full logo on the sleeve of the home and away, to go with the alt. Also, I would use the home hat for the road set, instead of having two barely different hats. Lastly, I would use one fish for the "Miami" wordmark. Or at least flip the direction the fish are facing so it's consistent with the "Marlins" wordmark.

I really love the marlins concept. You did a great job with the word mark and the unis. But, one thing that is bugging me is the two marlins in the road jersey. I don't know, it looks awkward in my opinion. But other then that great concepts! Can't wait to see more

I've always wanted to see a team go with an art deco style, and this is the perfect opportunity for it. Love the wordmark, and the jerseys look great. That said, I'd go with one marlin on the away uniform - it looks odd and off-balance with the two marlins.

Archived