1978 Rays & Marlins

kevinmets

This kind of thing has probably been done before, but this is my take on what two of the expansion teams might have looked like in the late 70s.

RaysMarlinsin1978.jpg

The smiling marlin is my first ever hand drawn logo (on this board).

I have concepts in the works for the Rockies & Diamondbacks as well, I'll post them here if/when they're finished.

The pants on the Marlins are a different shade of teal than the jersey.

That's 1978!

Love these concepts. The Rays look great actually. The happy Marlin...unprofessional but yeah, screams 70s/80s. The Marlins jerseys are perfect, love the numbers and font.

87Redskins.png

The pants on the Marlins are a different shade of teal than the jersey.

Correction: the jersey is a different shade of teal than the rest of the concept. The pants I just filled in with the paint bucket. For the jersey, I moved the hue/saturation/lightness sliders around to try and match it as close as I could (if you paint bucket that, the seams get all messed up). Teal's a tough color to work with and I thought it was close enough. Looking at it now I can see the difference though. Oh well!

Thanks for the C&C guys! Much appreciated!

Love 'em. These are the kind of concepts that make these boards great.

(However, back in 1978 only the Tigers (I believe) had more than one cap design, so it's unlikely that both expansion teams would have gone that route.)

The Rays should have light green or yellow sanis, and only the blue cap.

The Marlins should have one cap with a black brim and teal back panels. Also, perhaps their jersey would look more period-specific with racing style stripes a-la the Mets? Works well as is though, but racing stripes might work too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Love love love that Rays color palette. Very Floridian. Just lose the chartreuse and maybe one of the two blues. I also love Bauhaus!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 year later...

Wow, AWESOME concepts! I'm really digging this '70's fauxback thing. D'Backs and Rockies have got to jump on this. I can't wait to see your 70's versions of those teams!

threads been dead for over a year now he probably moved on with his new mlb 2.0 or appealing a 1 hitter either one

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Change the marlins font becuase it is the same as the Blue Jays font. I do see similarities between the Astros and the Rays, but it's not as bad. Change the color of the T in the Rays cap to yellow. The Marlin logo is perfect for the seventies. Great work and I'm excited for the rockies and dbacks.

Archived