Sports Teams that Need to Rebrand Their Color Scheme

piratesfan16

You know, I've actually given this some thought over the past few months, and I have to say....the Jazz REALLY need to ditch the navy. I was "mehh" on it's use when paired with the powder blue (I think that identity would have been much better if it were purple and powder instead of navy and powder), and after thier recent rebrand, I was open to it being paired with the gold and green. My thought was that it would be close enough to purple that it would pay great homage to the old original color scheme, while still being a little different or modern. Trouble is, now that I've let the thought sit for a year...it really doesn't work. The problem is that the blue is too dark. If the blue were something like a deep royal blue, it'd serve the purpose I was hoping for alot better. In a perfect world, the Jazz would be purple again....but either way, the Jazz really just need to ditch the navy.

My ideal color schemes for Utah would be the following (in no particular order):

- Royal, Green, and Gold

- Purple, Green, and Gold

- Purple, Copper, and Powder Blue

- Purple and Powder Blue

And if they ever wanted to pay direct homage to Utah's great outdoors, I could live with this:

- Forest/Pine/Hunter Green, Copper, Tan/Wheat, and Powder Blue

I could agree on the bolded part--as the Jazz' uniforms stands (with navy being the main color), it's too dark.

But I kind of like the appeal of the dark/dark/light/light (Navy/Forest Green/White/Athletic Gold) approach. You have this same idea with the Baltimore Ravens (Purple/Black/Metallic Gold/White) and the Dallas Stars (Dark Green/Black/Metallic Gold/White, at least in the "star pattern" days), and both those teams, in my opinion anyways, look good. It's almost like the Jazz kinda wanted to do the same thing, but with Navy Blue and Athletic Gold.

If they can tweak the roads so that the green stands out a little more and is subtly distinguishable from the navy (like with the Navy "Jazz" script and Green Numbers), then I could approve of the roads. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised that within a year or so, a green alternate is made and soon after becomes the primary road uniform--I'm still surprised why they didn't just go with green road primaries in the first place. I think a green jersey would do wonders for the Jazz's look.

And, for the record, I do like the darker, almost "dark Army Green" shade of green the Jazz use; it looks like a pretty unique shade of green in the Big 4 (at least on team apparel).

If I had any say with the Jazz, I wonder how a Kelly Green/Athletic Gold/Navy (in that order) color scheme would look; they could bring these babies back full-time:

tumblr_kx4wlkkO681qz9xnlo1_500.jpg

I've made a few (paint) concepts with these color schemes, as I think they could be interesting:

Green, A-Gold, Copper:

2923229184_2d8a210820_z.jpg?zz=1

Green, A-Gold, Black:

2910637964_da00001b28_z.jpg?zz=1

Blue-Violet ("Blurple", perhaps?)*, Powder Blue, Silver, and Black:

2909791349_35baa109b7_z.jpg?zz=1

and, Green, A-Gold, and Purple:

2923228948_d1194de59a_z.jpg?zz=1

(Glad I held onto these, too)

I also find a Black/A-Gold or Purple/Black/Copper (like the old alternates) color scheme thought-provoking.

*I think Ice_Cap called the actual blue the Jazz have this, and I credit him with the term, but to me that color is more blurplely.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, for the record, I do like the darker, almost "dark Army Green" shade of green the Jazz use; it looks like a pretty unique shade of green in the Big 4 (at least on team apparel).

The Jazz and the Bucks use the same Green (in print, anyway)...and in fabric/textile terms, they share the color with the Jets and the Packers of the NFL...

(Oh, and the Seattle SuperSonics used it back in the day as well...)

The Jazz and the Bucks use the same Green (in print, anyway)...and in fabric/textile terms, they share the color with the Jets and the Packers of the NFL...

I guess it's not surprising that the dark green teams all pull from the same fabric swatches, considering that Adidas and Reebok are the same company.

As for other teams and leagues:

NBA:

Minnesota Timberwolves: I don't understand why the Timberwolves didn't make green their main color and push the blue out. While the Celtics do have a Green/Black/White alternate, it's just an alternate; the T-Wolves would have a unique, full-time color scheme in the NBA especially if they use a lighter green.

Oklahoma City Thunder: I've said it before and I'll say it here again--the Thunder need to drop the Navy and Athletic Gold (A-Gold) and use a dark, slate gray. Their colors then become Light Blue, Red-Orange, and Slate Gray--one of the most unique, if not most unique, color schemes in sports.

Dallas Mavericks: While I don't mind their current look (as, like the late 1990s Jazz's "Mountain" uniforms, they represent the franchise's best years), they'd do themselves a favor in bringing back the green. You could dump either the Navy or Royal blue, and the Mavs would have a great look either way.

Miami Heat: Going to the other team in the Finals, the Heat currently have a good look, but I loved the original color scheme of Red/Orange/Black; it would be so unique in the world of sports today.

Atlanta Hawks: Return to Red/A-Gold/Black.

Houston Rockets: Drop the silver, bring back the A-Gold

Memphis Grizzlies: I don't mind the Grizzlies' current look, but I loved the original color scheme of Teal/Black/Red. I can see why they'd want to get away from that, but I think that the Grizzlies would look excellent by just replacing the A-Gold with Red--somewhat like the Tennessee Titans. That way, that color scheme would look fresh and localized, while at the same time, pays somewhat of an homage to the original color scheme. Or perhaps, you replace the A-Gold with Red and the Navy with Black; again, that's a unique color scheme in sports.

Toronto Raptors: Return to the Purple/Red/Black look, some way, somehow.

NFL:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Make the Pewter "cooler" (more blueish) and emphasize more orange. I'm fine with the Bucs remaining a primarily red team, but they badly lack any kind of orange right now. (It's a bit of a stretch for a team to put more emphasis on a color, but for the most part, NFL teams have it right with their colors).

Philadelphia Eagles: Drop the black from their current look and/or or go back to Kelly Green. The Eagles' Midnight Green is awfully dark (and could stand on its own), and a dark/dark/light/light (Midnight Green/Black/Silver/White) color scheme doesn't fit a team called the Eagles like it fits the Baltimore Ravens or the NHL's Dallas Stars. I wouldn't mind keeping black around if the Eagles went back to Kelly Green. I also recall a concept that used Kelly Green and replaced the silver with Metallic Gold (M-Gold), and it looked surprisingly good.

MLB:

San Diego Padres: I may be getting my wish next year, but the Padres belong in Brown (the 1990s Navy/Orange is a consolation). If I had my way, they'd wear Brown, Orange, and keep the M-Gold (Sand) around as trim--a modernized twist of the Brown/A-Gold/Orange years. However, a simple Brown/Orange or a Brown/A-Gold look is better and more unique than what they wear now. Another idea is to use Maroon as the main color (instead of Brown) and use either gold (Athletic or Metallic) with it.

Houston Astros: The Astros need to change, and they need to change ASAP. They need to ditch the railyard theme that they've had going for a while and either revert back to Orange and Navy, or do something more futuristic, like using Red/Orange/Slate Gray. Either way, the Astros need to be in some kind of orange.

Florida Marlins: It's a damn shame that the Fish look to be ditching teal; it's a unique color in MLB and it's relatively correct (what with the sea and all). If I could do anything (imagine black in place of navy), I'd keep the teal, and use more orange; again, Teal/Orange/Black would be a unique combo in sports.

Seattle Mariners: While the M's look is a modern classic, I would replace the silver with either kind of gold (Athletic or Metallic); metallic gold would give a more antiquated feel, while athletic gold would give it just a little more pop. Either way, that would be the icing on the cake.

Arizona Diamondbacks: Believe it or not, I prefer the D-Backs' look of today to their original Purple/Teal/Copper look. However, they look far too similar to Houston in terms of color, and that's why I'd toss out the Sand for Athletic Gold. Red/Black/A-Gold feels much more southwestern-y and is much more colorful than Red/Black/Sand. However, it'd be interesting to see them use either Turquoise or Copper as the third color in order to honor their short past.

NHL:

Anaheim Ducks: The Ducks need to revert to Jade as their main color; I'd drop the M-Gold as well. That way, the Ducks would then become a Jade, Orange, and Black team. Only my thoughts on the Marlins would be anywhere near the Ducks in terms of color.

Phoenix Coyotes: Depending on how long they remain there, I've felt that they could look good if they brought back the dark green and used black as trim only. A Brick Red and Hunter Green look could look good, though it might look a lot like Minnesota. Another idea is to toss the Sand in favor of Turquoise, as well, keeping all the other colors the same. So, Brick Red, Black, and Turquoise, perhaps?

Nashville Predators: It looks like we'll be seeing more yellow (A-Gold) next year, and I'm glad for that. However, what if the Preds dumped the silver and went with a Navy/A-Gold/Orange look? Perhaps dumping the silver alone is a step in the right direction.

New Jersey Devils: While the Devils have always had good, classic-style jerseys, you and I know that they need to bring back the dark green to their color scheme. Whether it's a full-time reboot of their 1980s look, or adding green into the current look, as one concept around here has done, green needs to become a NJ Devils color again.

Whew!! That's about all that I can think of right now, but there's my thoughts.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Florida Marlins: It's a damn shame that the Fish look to be ditching teal; it's a unique color in MLB and it's relatively correct (what with the sea and all). If I could do anything (imagine black in place of navy), I'd keep the teal, and use more orange; again, Teal/Orange/Black would be a unique combo in sports.

The Sharks have that exact color combo which they need to ditch the orange and go back to a grey/silver

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

As for other teams and leagues:

NBA:

Minnesota Timberwolves: I don't understand why the Timberwolves didn't make green their main color and push the blue out. While the Celtics do have a Green/Black/White alternate, it's just an alternate; the T-Wolves would have a unique, full-time color scheme in the NBA especially if they use a lighter green.

Oklahoma City Thunder: I've said it before and I'll say it here again--the Thunder need to drop the Navy and Athletic Gold (A-Gold) and use a dark, slate gray. Their colors then become Light Blue, Red-Orange, and Slate Gray--one of the most unique, if not most unique, color schemes in sports.

Dallas Mavericks: While I don't mind their current look (as, like the late 1990s Jazz's "Mountain" uniforms, they represent the franchise's best years), they'd do themselves a favor in bringing back the green. You could dump either the Navy or Royal blue, and the Mavs would have a great look either way.

Miami Heat: Going to the other team in the Finals, the Heat currently have a good look, but I loved the original color scheme of Red/Orange/Black; it would be so unique in the world of sports today.

Atlanta Hawks: Return to Red/A-Gold/Black.

Houston Rockets: Drop the silver, bring back the A-Gold

Memphis Grizzlies: I don't mind the Grizzlies' current look, but I loved the original color scheme of Teal/Black/Red. I can see why they'd want to get away from that, but I think that the Grizzlies would look excellent by just replacing the A-Gold with Red--somewhat like the Tennessee Titans. That way, that color scheme would look fresh and localized, while at the same time, pays somewhat of an homage to the original color scheme. Or perhaps, you replace the A-Gold with Red and the Navy with Black; again, that's a unique color scheme in sports.

Toronto Raptors: Return to the Purple/Red/Black look, some way, somehow.

NFL:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Make the Pewter "cooler" (more blueish) and emphasize more orange. I'm fine with the Bucs remaining a primarily red team, but they badly lack any kind of orange right now. (It's a bit of a stretch for a team to put more emphasis on a color, but for the most part, NFL teams have it right with their colors).

Philadelphia Eagles: Drop the black from their current look and/or or go back to Kelly Green. The Eagles' Midnight Green is awfully dark (and could stand on its own), and a dark/dark/light/light (Midnight Green/Black/Silver/White) color scheme doesn't fit a team called the Eagles like it fits the Baltimore Ravens or the NHL's Dallas Stars. I wouldn't mind keeping black around if the Eagles went back to Kelly Green. I also recall a concept that used Kelly Green and replaced the silver with Metallic Gold (M-Gold), and it looked surprisingly good.

MLB:

San Diego Padres: I may be getting my wish next year, but the Padres belong in Brown (the 1990s Navy/Orange is a consolation). If I had my way, they'd wear Brown, Orange, and keep the M-Gold (Sand) around as trim--a modernized twist of the Brown/A-Gold/Orange years. However, a simple Brown/Orange or a Brown/A-Gold look is better and more unique than what they wear now. Another idea is to use Maroon as the main color (instead of Brown) and use either gold (Athletic or Metallic) with it.

Houston Astros: The Astros need to change, and they need to change ASAP. They need to ditch the railyard theme that they've had going for a while and either revert back to Orange and Navy, or do something more futuristic, like using Red/Orange/Slate Gray. Either way, the Astros need to be in some kind of orange.

Seattle Mariners: While the M's look is a modern classic, I would replace the silver with either kind of gold (Athletic or Metallic); metallic gold would give a more antiquated feel, while athletic gold would give it just a little more pop. Either way, that would be the icing on the cake.

Arizona Diamondbacks: Believe it or not, I prefer the D-Backs' look of today to their original Purple/Teal/Copper look. However, they look far too similar to Houston in terms of color, and that's why I'd toss out the Sand for Athletic Gold. Red/Black/A-Gold feels much more southwestern-y and is much more colorful than Red/Black/Sand. However, it'd be interesting to see them use either Turquoise or Copper as the third color in order to honor their short past.

NHL:

Anaheim Ducks: The Ducks need to revert to Jade as their main color; I'd drop the M-Gold as well. That way, the Ducks would then become a Jade, Orange, and Black team. Only my thoughts on the Marlins would be anywhere near the Ducks in terms of color.

Phoenix Coyotes: Depending on how long they remain there, I've felt that they could look good if they brought back the dark green and used black as trim only. A Brick Red and Hunter Green look could look good, though it might look a lot like Minnesota. Another idea is to toss the Sand in favor of Turquoise, as well, keeping all the other colors the same. So, Brick Red, Black, and Turquoise, perhaps?

Nashville Predators: It looks like we'll be seeing more yellow (A-Gold) next year, and I'm glad for that. However, what if the Preds dumped the silver and went with a Navy/A-Gold/Orange look? Perhaps dumping the silver alone is a step in the right direction.

New Jersey Devils: While the Devils have always had good, classic-style jerseys, you and I know that they need to bring back the dark green to their color scheme. Whether it's a full-time reboot of their 1980s look, or adding green into the current look, as one concept around here has done, green needs to become a NJ Devils color again.

Whew!! That's about all that I can think of right now, but there's my thoughts.

You realize how many teams would actually have similar colors if these suggestions were implemented?

NO .... on the PENGUINS

The look before was way too much like the BRUINS

100% agreed. I say keep the colours, but change the uniform design

The main thing with the Penguins is that the Vegas Gold NEEDS to be metallic. If it is flat as it currently is, it looks terrible.

Archived