NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

the only rule change that sounds good is the trapezoid removal. Everything else is just a useless tweak.

Not at all. I'm really intrigued to see full 2 minute powerplays.

I like both of these rules. However, I don't the on-the-fly only line change. Line matching might be a bit annoying to some, but the removal of strategy from the game is a bad thing, in my opinion.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only rule change that sounds good is the trapezoid removal. Everything else is just a useless tweak.

Not at all. I'm really intrigued to see full 2 minute powerplays.

I like both of these rules. However, I don't the on-the-fly only line change. Line matching might be a bit annoying to some, but the removal of strategy from the game is a bad thing, in my opinion.

Completely agree. Line matching should be a part of the game, the in game chess match is fun to watch. But dont mind me, I'm a bit of a purist.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Meanwhile in Tampa Bay, the Lightning have installed Tesla coils onto their scoreboard for pre-game stuff and for goal celebrations. And I think that is AWESOME!

263297_134590936630797_106513986105159_215802_8160038_n.jpg

Somehow, I see this ending poorly.

It's only mounted over a giant body of frozen water and under a metal ceiling.

Errr....JUMBOTRON used THUNDERSHOCK. It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Getting rid of line-matching will accomplish nothing but saving Joel Quenneville from himself, so while it's a useless idea in theory, it could be quite useful in practice!

2. No line changes on offsides would be okay but not at the rate that players go offsides today. Obviously, the idea is that making it a greater violation would reduce the incidence, but I'm not totally sold. Besides, if we're getting rid of changing at stoppages altogether, this is redundant.

3. No thanks

4. No thanks

5. I'd rather have a handful of shootouts than 3-on-3 games.

6. Between "no icing on kills" and "goals don't end minor penalties," why don't you just award two goals for tripping.

7. Whatever

8. Yeah, I thought they would've come up with this by now, too

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would say it would make refs more gun shy calling penalties, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. The amount of obstruction calls being made has dwindled since the year after the lockout. Not sure if thats a result of players not actually committing the infractions (doubtful) or the refs just not putting an emphasis on it since the initial "new NHL" way of calling penalties (more likely).

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I've been calling for "serve the entire penalty" for some time now. It will be THE biggest deterrent to players committing foolish and lazy penalties. It's one way to increase the possibility of goal-scoring without changing the way the game gets played.

I can get on-board with 3-on-3 hockey for three minutes. The game won't be extended that much longer.

The rest of those 8 major tweaks don't sound so appealing, or really don't change things too much. I'm sure we'll eventually get to the point of adding some technology sensors to the puck and nets (sort of like the FoxTrax puck, but not for TV-viewing purposes) that'll sound when the entire puck crosses the goal line. Offsides calls aren't so egregious that they need to be treated like icing plays.

I'd love to see the trapezoid get removed. Why create a rule that prohibits some goalies from using their athletic abilies? It's akin to disallowing wide receivers from providing blocks on a running play.

I'd also be in favor of allowing hand-passes in all the zones. Never understood why that was legal for 1/3rd of the ice and illegal for the other 2/3rd's.

Having a shallower net could be interesting.

Having a communication device for the refs to talk with each other (and maybe the linesmen, too) can only be a good thing, I'd think.

I've been calling for "serve the entire penalty" for some time now. It will be THE biggest deterrent to players committing foolish and lazy penalties.

No, it'll just be a deterrent to calling the penalties in the first place. As long as there's a culture of "let the players play when the game is important," this will allow pivotal games to be determined by clutch-and-grab hijinks. And then it's 2003 again.

I'm sure their intentions are to create goals so as to create more excitement, but goal inflation just lessens the excitement of each goal. I know, I know, the NFL has been able to pull off point inflation without making people feel like scores are less important (they are), but even as the NHL picks up more casual fans, its hardcore base who knows better still accounts for more of the market than the NFL's base does, and they're hard to snooker. The NFL could massage the game into yielding triple-digit scores if they told America it would be good for their fantasy teams.

I will never get the NHL's obsession with higher scoring. I may be a bit biased here (I am a goalie), but a tightly played 2-1 game is much more exciting than horribly sloppy 5-3 :censored:fests. Even the crowd deadens after a bunch of goals. It's just boring. And as a participant in a 3 on 3 league, it's not as exciting as people may think. The ice is too open. The game gets stretched out and usually ends up with one player always taking it coast to coast. Not my idea of entertaining.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Yeah, for true hockey fans, it's a lot more exciting to see a 0-0 goalie battle unfolding than a 6-4 game with a pair of sieves. You know that every turnover, every shot could lead to your team winning or losing.

I can't wait for this season though. Really think the Jackets are a playoff team right now.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived