NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just what Philly needs, a goalie who chokes in big games!

To defend Bryz, in Phoenix I'd say that was a product of the rest of the team as well as constantly running into the Red Wings (who just had the Yotes number). And even as Russia's starting goaltender, the rest of that team has had it's own issues before.

When he was in Anaheim, he played very well in the playoffs. He actually has the longest shutout streak for a rookie goalie in the playoffs in 2006 and won games 6/7 in the Calgary series, had back to back shutouts in a sweep of Colorado, then hit a wall against Edmonton. In 2007 when the Ducks won the Cup, it was actually Bryzgalov that started that playoff run (Giguere was dealing with his newborn son's eye issues at the time) and won the first three games against Minnesota before losing Game 4 and Carlyle elected to put Giguere back as he returned.

I'd say it's definitely worth the Flyers time and money to give Bryz a shot on that team.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

He was a huge reason Phoenix was even in the playoffs the last couple of years. Wasn't it Nabokov who started for Russia last year in the Olympics?

Right on both accounts. I had thought Bryz played more at the Vancouver Olympics, but he played in 2 games with an 0-1 record and a 1.78 GAA. But he also led Russia to a Gold Medal at the 2009 World Championships.

Like I said before, Bryz is a worthwhile endeavor for the Flyers I think. He's the best goaltender on the market this offseason, and it's clearly the area the Flyers need to improve at. It's their best possible solution at the moment. And you can have the top Russian goaltender in Bryzgalov kind of mentor the up and coming Russian goaltender with Bobrovsky. It could work out two fold for Philly.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Bryzgalov did well with the Coyotes because he played behind Tippett's drag-them-down-to-our-level scheme. Unfortunately (well, for them), the Red Wings chose not to be dragged down to the Coyotes' level, and instead sliced through the muck and teed off on Bryzgalov. He's a pretty good goalie, but we're at a point where just about every goalie is at least a pretty good one, except for the ones on the Flyers. It's a buyer's market for goalies until further notice; no one should get $7MM a year to goaltend anymore, but the Flyers still ought to lock him up to a semi-handsome deal.

As for the Coyotes, I wonder if they'd be interested in the services of Cristobal Huet, who otherwise needs to be re-exiled to Switzerland before next season starts. The Coyotes have a lot of money coming off the books, and will need to put a lot on just to hit the floor. Given the long-term uncertainty of the franchise, they're probably not going to be able to sign a lot of long-term contracts. Why not take a veteran NHL goaltender on an expiring contract whose inflated salary will allow you to reach floor? Don Maloney intimated a few months ago that if the team were to go to Winnipeg, he was tearing it all down and starting from scratch, but if it stayed put, he'd try to jury-rig another year out of the jalopy like he had been doing, which is to say with a motley assortment of desperate hangers-on who don't want to move somewhere cold. And if it turns out they do move to Quebec City, having a French goaltender in the organization primes the pump for that. All we as Hawks fans ask for is a 7th round pick.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Long Island still has his rights. I believe the terms of last year's contract slide to this year because of his disqualification last year. They're willing to trade him, but they're also willing to suspend/disqualify him again if he holds out of training camp. The Coyotes would have to pay handsomely in talent to get such a cheap contract.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Article about ways the Flyers could get this done and stay under the cap. Also mentions that a Carter deal would have to happen before extension kicks in.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20110609_Frequent_Flyers__Signing_Bryzgalov__staying_under_salary_cap.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bryzgalov did well with the Coyotes because he played behind Tippett's drag-them-down-to-our-level scheme. Unfortunately (well, for them), the Red Wings chose not to be dragged down to the Coyotes' level, and instead sliced through the muck and teed off on Bryzgalov. He's a pretty good goalie, but we're at a point where just about every goalie is at least a pretty good one, except for the ones on the Flyers. It's a buyer's market for goalies until further notice; no one should get $7MM a year to goaltend anymore, but the Flyers still ought to lock him up to a semi-handsome deal.

As for the Coyotes, I wonder if they'd be interested in the services of Cristobal Huet, who otherwise needs to be re-exiled to Switzerland before next season starts. The Coyotes have a lot of money coming off the books, and will need to put a lot on just to hit the floor. Given the long-term uncertainty of the franchise, they're probably not going to be able to sign a lot of long-term contracts. Why not take a veteran NHL goaltender on an expiring contract whose inflated salary will allow you to reach floor? Don Maloney intimated a few months ago that if the team were to go to Winnipeg, he was tearing it all down and starting from scratch, but if it stayed put, he'd try to jury-rig another year out of the jalopy like he had been doing, which is to say with a motley assortment of desperate hangers-on who don't want to move somewhere cold. And if it turns out they do move to Quebec City, having a French goaltender in the organization primes the pump for that. All we as Hawks fans ask for is a 7th round pick.

Um, no. You're 100% wrong on Bryz doing well because of Tippett's system. He was in Phoenix for a few years before Tippett was there and did very well. Heck he played well in Anaheim also. It's not Dave Tippett's system, Bryz is a top 10 goaltender end of story. On the list of the top 10 goaltenders, you have as follows:

1. Tim Thomas

2. Jonas Hiller

3. Luongo (as much as I hate to say it)

4. Carey Price

5. Bryz

6. Ryan Miller

7. Pekka Rinne

8. Antti Niemi

9. Marty Turco

10. Jonathan Quick

Bryzgalov did well with the Coyotes because he played behind Tippett's drag-them-down-to-our-level scheme. Unfortunately (well, for them), the Red Wings chose not to be dragged down to the Coyotes' level, and instead sliced through the muck and teed off on Bryzgalov. He's a pretty good goalie, but we're at a point where just about every

goalie is at least a pretty good one, except for the ones on the Flyers. It's a buyer's market for goalies until further notice; no one should get $7MM a year to goaltend anymore, but the Flyers still ought to lock him up to a semi-handsome deal.

As for the Coyotes, I wonder if they'd be interested in the services of Cristobal Huet, who otherwise needs to be re-exiled to Switzerland before next season starts. The Coyotes have a lot of money coming off the books, and will need to put a lot on just to hit the floor. Given the long-term uncertainty of the franchise, they're probably not going to be able to sign a lot of long-term contracts. Why not take

a veteran NHL goaltender on an expiring contract whose inflated salary will allow you to reach floor? Don Maloney intimated a few months ago that if the team were to go to Winnipeg, he was tearing it all down and starting from scratch, but if it stayed put, he'd try to jury-rig another year out of the jalopy like he had been doing, which is to say

with a motley assortment of desperate hangers-on who don't want to move somewhere cold. And if it turns out they do move to Quebec City, having a French goaltender in the organization primes the pump for that. All we as Hawks fans ask for is a 7th round pick.

Um, no. You're 100% wrong on Bryz doing well because of Tippett's system. He was in Phoenix for a few years before Tippett was there and did very well. Heck he played well in Anaheim also. It's not Dave Tippett's system, Bryz is a top 10 goaltender end of story. On the list of the top 10 goaltenders, you have as follows:

1. Tim Thomas

2. Jonas Hiller

3. Luongo (as much as I hate to say it)

4. Carey Price

5. Bryz

6. Ryan Miller

7. Pekka Rinne

8. Antti Niemi

9. Marty Turco

10. Jonathan Quick

Turco #9? He wasn't even starting at the end of the year. I would put King Henrik or Jimmy Howard on the list instead of him.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Um, no. You're 100% wrong on Bryz doing well because of Tippett's system. He was in Phoenix for a few years before Tippett was there and did very well.

Not well enough to make the playoffs behind a similarly mediocre/bad lineup. So you're saying all that trapping and locking didn't help him have outstanding seasons. Okay.

Alright I know the Flames haven't been that great over the last couple years, but excuse my homerism. Miikka Kiprusoff is pretty underrated and easily a top 10 goalie in the league, if not Top 5.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Um, no. You're 100% wrong on Bryz doing well because of Tippett's system. He was in Phoenix for a few years before Tippett was there and did very well.

Not well enough to make the playoffs behind a similarly mediocre/bad lineup. So you're saying all that trapping and locking didn't help him have outstanding seasons. Okay.

One player does not make a team, but if you ask anyone with hockey knowledge and scouts, they'll tell you that he's one of the top goaltenders in the game today. You believe what you want to believe, but in the end Bryz is one of the top goaltenders.

As per The Hockey News:

A report out of Columbus (citing multiple sources) claimed the Blue Jackets and Flyers were working on a potential blockbuster deal that would send center Jeff Carter to Columbus in exchange for a top-six forward (possibly right winger Jakub Voracek) and the Blue Jackets’ first round pick (eighth overall) in this year's draft.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived