NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

The League wants to investigate the Talbot contract Apparently, he can't earn $1 Million in the last two years of his deal when he'd be 31 & 32 but Franzen and Zetterberg can when they are approaching 40.

There has to be a difference between all of those contracts. Maybe the league put in the rule after their investigation of those contracts to prevent it.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty much exactly it.

Oh thats exactly what happened. There was never a peep with the two Detroit contracts but God forbid Vancouver does it (Luongo), Chicago does it (Hossa), New Jersey does it (Kovalchuk) or Philadelphia does it (Talbot).

The rule was changed after the Zetterberg and Franzen deals.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

You know one can say Dany Heatley's accident was the beginning of the end of the Thrashers.

Unless Traitor-15 could have changed Steve Belkin's mind about acquiring Joe Johnson, the accident had nothing to do with the end of the Thrashers.

That's pretty much exactly it.

Oh thats exactly what happened. There was never a peep with the two Detroit contracts but God forbid Vancouver does it (Luongo), Chicago does it (Hossa), New Jersey does it (Kovalchuk) or Philadelphia does it (Talbot).

The rule was changed after the Zetterberg and Franzen deals.

I don't remember the NHL investigating Luongo's or Hossa's contracts until after Kovalchuk's contract came into question....and by then, Luongo and Hossa had already started playing on their new deals.

The NHL didn't make any rule about contract structure until Kovalchuk's deal was re-worked. Luongo, Hossa, Zetterberg, and Franzen were all grandfathered in.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't turn the league-mandated blind eye to the Kovalchuk deal. Lamiorello has been one of Bettman's soldiers this entire time, if any deal was going to get shoved through without the league blinking, it would've been this one.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The thing with the Talbot deal is simply that there's a rule that an annual salary can't drop by kore than a certain percentage (50 I think?) but they messed up the deal sl that in the later years it drops from 2.5 to 1. They just have to redo that, it's being considered an oversight as opposed to a violation. The actual numbers might be off some, I don't recall exactly what I read earlier.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Either of the final two years in a contract cannot be less than half of either (average) of the first two years. If he's making 2M and 2.5M, average of 2.25M, then one of the final years in his deal has to be 1.125M.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

$4M in the first year, $4.5M for the remaining. Good signing, and right about where I figured it would be. Now for Wheeler and Bogo.

There are also a few rumors of Parise coming to Vancouver for Schneider and someone else. Raymond? Hodgson? Who knows.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Andrew Ladd signs a 5 year deal with the Jets.

EDIT: 22 Million. Some would call that a hometown discount.

Oddball would call that overpaying for the worst captain in league history.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Campoli's gone to arbitration, assuming he's wanting more than $2 million. Not gonna happen.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Jannick Hansen's going to arbitration, too. He's about due for a big raise, and who knows if the Canucks will like it. He'll probably be awarded 1.5-2M.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Campoli's gone to arbitration, assuming he's wanting more than $2 million. Not gonna happen.

Stalberg also filed today. This one's a bit of a head scratcher.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

How much do these guys expect? There's no way Stalberg can be worth upwards of 2 million. To me, the best deal he can get would be probably get signed by avoiding arbitration. I dunno, very odd offseason for the blackhawks

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

How much do these guys expect? There's no way Stalberg can be worth upwards of 2 million. To me, the best deal he can get would be probably get signed by avoiding arbitration. I dunno, very odd offseason for the blackhawks

Stalberg should be worth no more than $1mil. The guy's good for ≈25+ points a season, relatively healthy, but has terrible decision making and even with his potential he's not developing well.

He's the kind of guy you give a 1 year incentive laden contract with a reasonable base salary and give him something to shoot for. If he wants something even close to 2, the hawks will deal him promptly.

twitter

Archived