NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

Sort of, but sort of not too. I thought it was lame when Manny got traded to the Dodgers, and then went with number 99. He's already a superstar player going over to a new team for what at the time could have been only a few months, but then he took the highest possible number which just seemed to separate himself from everyone else even more. The #99 wasn't a "Dodger" uniform, it was "Manny's" uniform (if that makes any sense.) Of course I'm of the mindset that in professional sports all of that is just nonsense and they should just wear whatever they want, but I could certainly see why people get a little miffed about it.

The Dodgers gave him that number, he didn't pick it.

I doubt that happened. Did the White Sox assign 99 to Manny too?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sort of, but sort of not too. I thought it was lame when Manny got traded to the Dodgers, and then went with number 99. He's already a superstar player going over to a new team for what at the time could have been only a few months, but then he took the highest possible number which just seemed to separate himself from everyone else even more. The #99 wasn't a "Dodger" uniform, it was "Manny's" uniform (if that makes any sense.) Of course I'm of the mindset that in professional sports all of that is just nonsense and they should just wear whatever they want, but I could certainly see why people get a little miffed about it.

The Dodgers gave him that number, he didn't pick it.

No the Dodgers did not give many the number, he chose it. Don't believe me, here's the story: http://www.aolnews.com/2008/08/11/how-manny-ramirez-decided-on-99/

I actually read somewhere that it had become available (either the guy offered it to him, or was traded, or something) and he wanted to take 24 but the team said that it had too much 99 merch so there was no going back. Can't remember if that was in '08 or the following offseason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wish more teams would nut up and limit player numbers to 1-50 (well, #0 should be in play, but a player wearing #0 causes the NHL's database to crash). Look at the Blackhawks: Kane 88, Frolik 67, Hossa 81, Kopecky 82 (pbuhc), what is this crap. Wear low numbers.

Then you also have the Bruins who seem to be on a mission to retire every number from 1-99, and within two years will have to petition the league to allow them to issue numbers in hexidecimal.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I actually read somewhere that it had become available (either the guy offered it to him, or was traded, or something) and he wanted to take 24 but the team said that it had too much 99 merch so there was no going back. Can't remember if that was in '08 or the following offseason.

Who you talking about Manny and the Dodgers? If so, there is no way he was going to have Walter Alston's number.

Who you talking about Manny and the Dodgers? If so, there is no way he was going to have Walter Alston's number.

My memory was a little off. It was 28. This link is only from Wikipedia, but I remember hearing about it at the time (and I'm pretty sure it was discussed here too.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Ramirez

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not sure where Eskin got it from (maybe he made it up like usual), but he reported last night the Flyers are considering signing Chris Drury to reunite with Briere...

Maybe I'm missing something, but will someone please explain why it matters what number people wear? Or why it irritates you that someone would wear a high number?

I can't see why it would matter in the slightest.

I actually like players with high numbers like Bure when he wore 96 or Roenick with 97 or Fedorov with 91. A number is a number far as I am concerned. it's the level of play i concern myself with not the number.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I'm assuming its going to be Pronger, but any official word on the next Flyers captain?

It's 99% done but nothing is official yet. They've also considered giving it to Giroux but I don't see that happening...

For a second I was like "oh go figure, the Blues got another fist-swinging meathead who can't play hockey." But, as I always do, I confused Jonathan Cheechoo with Jordin Tootoo. Actually, the Blues got a hockey player who can't play hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Blue Jackets get their first bit of bad new this season. Kristian Huselius out for 4-6 months after tearing his pec lifting weights.

2nd actually.

The first is that its a new season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived