NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the videos that have been keeping me going. They were made by a fan who makes the Blue Jackets look like a team that didn't finish in 13th.

Not blaming you, but all the war, battle and "call to arms" references in that song are really offensive when you apply it to something as trivial as sports. I thought all of that was supposed to end for good after 9/11, but I suppose it was a nice few weeks before it all came back again.

These are the videos that have been keeping me going. They were made by a fan who makes the Blue Jackets look like a team that didn't finish in 13th.

Not blaming you, but all the war, battle and "call to arms" references in that song are really offensive when you apply it to something as trivial as sports. I thought all of that was supposed to end for good after 9/11, but I suppose it was a nice few weeks before it all came back again.

Yeah, and the Jets logo glorifies the Canadian Military.

Sometimes, Milo, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yeah, and the Jets logo glorifies the Canadian Military.

Sometimes, Milo, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

It does pay an homage, but that's different. It's not likening sports to war. Anyway...

Then you'll hate to learn that the team shoots off a cannon after goals and wins.

You're not wrong, but really, what doesn't offend you?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Then you'll hate to learn that the team shoots off a cannon after goals and wins.

You're not wrong, but really, what doesn't offend you?

Since my post went out of its way not to be a personal attack, you probably could've stopped before the bolded. Moving on...

No, it's totally fair. Players have talked about the emotional toll of having no role on their team but to beat the other goon up, to say nothing of the physical ramifications of getting punched in the head over and over. Rick Rypien is a special case, of course, since he had mental health issues far beyond the game, but it's troubling that two other goons have died in totally avoidable ways (I don't think we've gotten confirmation on Belak; I've heard OD and hanging).

Hockey being what it is, I don't think we'll ever totally eliminate fighting. The nature of the sport is that you're running with your tachometer in the red for the 45 to 90 seconds you're out on the ice, so everyone is on edge all the time. I mean, there are scrums after every other whistle in any hotly contested game. Fights are going to arise from that high level of stress. Human nature. What can be stopped is the stupid pre-planned goon-versus-goon crap that only serves as a sideshow for the stupid and accounts for the vast majority of five-minute fighting majors. Now, if some dirty player tries to injure or successfully injures a teammate and you decide to go after that player like a guided missile and start punching him in the face repeatedly, that I can condone, because that might be the only way to put the fear of God into the sorts of dickholes that are an even bigger detriment to the game than John Scott, George Parros, Cam Janssen, etc. The sideshow and its wasted punches can go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, it's totally fair. Players have talked about the emotional toll of having no role on their team but to beat the other goon up, to say nothing of the physical ramifications of getting punched in the head over and over. Rick Rypien is a special case, of course, since he had mental health issues far beyond the game, but it's troubling that two other goons have died in totally avoidable ways (I don't think we've gotten confirmation on Belak; I've heard OD and hanging).

Hockey being what it is, I don't think we'll ever totally eliminate fighting. The nature of the sport is that you're running with your tachometer in the red for the 45 to 90 seconds you're out on the ice, so everyone is on edge all the time. I mean, there are scrums after every other whistle in any hotly contested game. Fights are going to arise from that high level of stress. Human nature. What can be stopped is the stupid pre-planned goon-versus-goon crap that only serves as a sideshow for the stupid and accounts for the vast majority of five-minute fighting majors. Now, if some dirty player tries to injure or successfully injures a teammate and you decide to go after that player like a guided missile and start punching him in the face repeatedly, that I can condone, because that might be the only way to put the fear of God into the sorts of dickholes that are an even bigger detriment to the game than John Scott, George Parros, Cam Janssen, etc. The sideshow and its wasted punches can go.

See, I don't buy your second paragraph. The referees and league office police the game, it doesn't have to be the players. Make the penalties for dirty play and fighting prohibitive, and those problems eventually breed themselves out of the game over time. End of story. The real, honest reason fighting may never leave hockey is that it sells, and I guess that's more important than life and death.

Three enforcers in one offseason...don't tell me it's not fair to at least open up the discussion of fighting in the NHL, the mindset of guys who are asked to be strictly "enforcers", and what damage the NHL might be doing by enabling the whole thing.

I mean it depends on what's determined to be Belak's cause of death. Boogaard was a bad mix of pills and alcohol. Rypien was a depression fueled suicide.

There is the common thread that they're all enforcers, but it's a weak thread to pull on when trying to link them all together. The circumstances and actual cause of death will be the biggest issue here.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The referees don't police the game like they need to, though, that's the thing. They did in the first season back from the lockout, but then regressed to the importance of Letting Players Play and thus letting a lot of dirty stuff go uncalled. Remember, it's totally true: stick work will injury you. As long as the league feels it should take a hands-off approach to close, late games, there will be filthy play, and as long as there's filthy play, there will be goons. They had their chance to prove they were serious about purging that crap and they didn't stick to it, so excuse my skepticism.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

More sad news: Apparently, Marc Savard won't play next due to the effects of the concussion he suffered a year and a half ago.

Word on the street (or what I read on ESPN Boston) is that they have doubts of Savard playing again.

More sad news: Apparently, Marc Savard won't play next due to the effects of the concussion he suffered a year and a half ago.

Word on the street (or what I read on ESPN Boston) is that they have doubts of Savard playing again.

Gotta agree with that. With his streak of concussions, I wouldn't even feel comfortable watching Saavy get out there and try to play. Pity. Was one of my favorite players on the black and gold.

This is a stupid question, but I don't really know the logistics of said issue, but the Bruins obviously aren't on the hook for the money they owe him if he officially retires, correct? They just signed him to a pretty lucrative, seven year deal.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived