New Mountain West Conference Logo

paynomind

Higher quality, logo only:

fy7gf.jpg

Where is this mountain range, hidden or otherwise, in this logo? The closest thing I see to a mountain is the triangle in the bottom of the W.

stop thinking so literally. like i said before, think of the characteristics of a mountain range and how you could express them visually. i think they've done a good job here

It's a sports logo, not modern art. I actually tried to see what you claim is there, and while I agree that your position has merit it still makes the logo way to abstract for its own good.

a logo's job is to 1. identify something 2. communicate a message about it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fy7gf.jpg

Where is this mountain range, hidden or otherwise, in this logo? The closest thing I see to a mountain is the triangle in the bottom of the W.

stop thinking so literally. like i said before, think of the characteristics of a mountain range and how you could express them visually. i think they've done a good job here

It's a sports logo, not modern art. I actually tried to see what you claim is there, and while I agree that your position has merit it still makes the logo way to abstract for its own good.

This logo communicates to me that the Mountain West is some sort of Late-90s video game console.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This is depressing...

Depressing? It's the Mountain West. It's not like expectations were sky high for this unveiling, like they were for the Big Ten last year. And the previous MWC logo was pretty boring and bland to begin with, so I don't see how this can be much of a downgrade at all.

are you kidding? expectations should be a high for any D1 conference to have a nice conference logo. most NCAA conferences have very good ones. Heck, even the NAIA has good ones.

the old logo had personality, and uniqueness. the new one is so bland...I could have done better with 5 minutes in inkscape.

This is simply not true. They've just been around for a while.

This logo communicates to me that the Mountain West is some sort of Late-90s video game console.

Post of the minute.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 months later...

A little late to the party, but I honestly do not understand all the hate this is getting. I pretty much agree with everything BrandMoore has said. The top of the MW is very clearly a mountain peak IMO. Just because the logo doesn't have obvious mountains at the top like the old logo (which was awful) doesn't mean it's not conveying the image of a mountain. It's easily the best concept they presented to the Mountain West Conference. Although I do think that star logo may have had some potential, along with some others.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

It looked pretty awful on Wyoming's field last night. If they had let them paint it brown and gold like the old one, it wouldn't have looked bad. However they made it gigantic, purple and grey, and when they patched it to the field the turf people didn't match the existing green which didn't help out.

It would be awesome if the Big East and Big Ten would allow that as well, but then I'd want the Big Ten logo changed to this.

6aee8cd5.png

^^^ My creation, by the way.

I don't see the Big East team-specific logo working. Then again, it would look better for certain schools like Georgetown and Prah-v'dence that have really muted color schemes.

At least for football, they do use it. Teams will put the wordmark in school colors (usually white on their dark jerseys and their primary color on their white jerseys).

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

It's unfortunate because none of the teams in the MWC have color schemes that complement mauve and grey.

Not to mention the whole Dr. Who/Nintendo 64/White Castle connotations.

At least the B1G reads as "B10" if you squint a lot... after taking a blow to the head. This? Meh... just not feeling it at all.

It's unfortunate because none of the teams in the MWC have color schemes that complement mauve and grey.

Not to mention the whole Dr. Who/Nintendo 64/White Castle connotations.

At least the B1G reads as "B10" if you squint a lot... after taking a blow to the head. This? Meh... just not feeling it at all.

I find it funny that I hate it when MLB re-colors their logos based on each team's colors, but I actually prefer it when college football conferences do that. I guess if the Mountain West logo wasn't composed of two colors that stuck out so much that I wouldn't mind it. But the again, didn't they utilize the same colors in their old logo? I don't remember hating it so much then. Maybe I just don't like the new logo.

TCU does. But I don't think they had the patch on their unis the other night. And this is their last year in the MWC anyway.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, it won't matter much to TCU. They're moving to the Big East next year anyway. And for the record, those are the same colors that the MWC has always used since its inception, so for as much as we don't like the logo, it's their conference color scheme, much like the WAC uses the silver and scarlet/burgundy scheme.

Yeah, it won't matter much to TCU. They're moving to the Big East next year anyway. And for the record, those are the same colors that the MWC has always used since its inception, so for as much as we don't like the logo, it's their conference color scheme, much like the WAC uses the silver and scarlet/burgundy scheme.

The WAC just appeared as a silver outline on most teams' uniforms and fields, as to not clash with the color schemes. I think it's a yellow outline in the case of San Jose State.

TCU does. But I don't think they had the patch on their unis the other night. And this is their last year in the MWC anyway.

They wore the old patches

TCU_Baylor_090211192-vi.jpg

Archived