New Mountain West Conference Logo

paynomind

The WAC just appeared as a silver outline on most teams' uniforms and fields, as to not clash with the color schemes. I think it's a yellow outline in the case of San Jose State.

On the unis and the field yes, it's only a silver or white outline, but the official conference logo as noted by wacsports.com is silver with the scarlet/burgundy stroke.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does a college conference need a patch in the first place? It's not like it adds a level of authenticity or anything to the jersey, nor does it really promote anything. If it has to be on there, maybe above the NOB would be a better place.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why does a college conference need a patch in the first place? It's not like it adds a level of authenticity or anything to the jersey, nor does it really promote anything. If it has to be on there, maybe above the NOB would be a better place.

While my knee jerk response to this would be: EXACTLY. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to utilize a conference patch. There are so many conferences and D-1 teams that I can understand why many conferences (especially the lower tier conferences) would want to promote themselves with a patch. Especially in the big time games. As you mentioned, above the NOB would probably work best. I personally don't have as much of a problem with the use of the patch but the execution of it. Pac-12 does it well, Mountain West does it horribly.

Perhaps they use these patches to create conference unity between the member schools and let's be honest, when a student-athlete goes to Hawai'i he wants to say that he's a proud student of the University of Hawai'i and a proud supporter of the WAC. Of course, you have somebody else putting on the scarlet and gold of USC and say that he's a proud member of the Pac-12 Conference. I think putting them above the numbers on the front is sufficient to say "Hey, we belong to such-and-such Conference."

While my knee jerk response to this would be: EXACTLY. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to utilize a conference patch. There are so many conferences and D-1 teams that I can understand why many conferences (especially the lower tier conferences) would want to promote themselves with a patch. Especially in the big time games. As you mentioned, above the NOB would probably work best. I personally don't have as much of a problem with the use of the patch but the execution of it. Pac-12 does it well, Mountain West does it horribly.

But what are they promoting? Aren't the actual school identities far more important than a conference affiliation when it comes to attracting viewers? It's also not like a recruit is watching a game and is going to be like "aw, snap - I didn't know Indiana was in the BiG10 - I'mma go there now."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Mountain Ridge on top of the MW logo is an extreme stretch, ever for the most liberal, eccentric designers.

There is a beauty to subtlety, there is something spectacular about hidden images in logos... but the mountain range is really a stretch. As someone said, its a logo, not Where's Waldo.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

But what are they promoting? Aren't the actual school identities far more important than a conference affiliation when it comes to attracting viewers? It's also not like a recruit is watching a game and is going to be like "aw, snap - I didn't know Indiana was in the BiG10 - I'mma go there now."

What are they promoting? The conference itself as opposed to the school would be my guess. It seems like now more than ever with conferences losing members left and right and getting pilfered by other conferences it would make sense to to try to further promote the brand of the conference. Are the school identities more important than the conference themselves? Yes, if you are Ohio State or Michigan or Texas...but if you are Minnesota or Indiana or Kansas State then you damn well want to be associated with the top notch teams and the conference that they are part of. I'm not saying a little patch will accomplish that on its own but it doesn't hurt. The past year has reminded us that when it comes to college football conferences the sum is NOT greater than its parts, especially when some of the bigger parts bolt to another conference and threatens to tear apart the conference.

Yeah, isn't everybody glad that the SEC didn't keep that logo for long. That's a type of logo I'd expect out of a lower-tier conference that just started up.

Yeah they didn't use it too long. Only 15 years.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Boise State and New Mexico were the only teams to wear the new patch during the first week.

unleddzo.png

Seeing this reminded me that I really wish the Aztecs would go back to the big circle A on their helmets. Much more visible and powerful as a graphic.

As for the MW patch. Like the concept but not the implementation. Don't have any problems with the patch on jerseys, just needs to look good. This doesn't.

No, there's been worse:

128877541009590155_sec-logo.gif

I don't know if it's just the blue stripes, but the SEC logo reminds me a lot of Sega.

sega_logo1.jpg

That is the old logo..here is the new one:

Southeastern_Conference.png

or this one:

sec_logo.jpg

The SEC football logo looks like a well crated piece of generic football art with the SEC added as an afterthought. Wonder why they didn't incorporate the SEC better into the design.

No, there's been worse:

I don't know if it's just the blue stripes, but the SEC logo reminds me a lot of Sega.

That is the old logo..here is the new one:

or this one:

sec_logo.jpg

The SEC football logo looks like a well crated piece of generic football art with the SEC added as an afterthought. Wonder why they didn't incorporate the SEC better into the design.

Better incorporation here ...

4ff8cb27e0a1c213f70e6a7067001b47_0.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Because it is. That's the generic NCAA jersey patch.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived