NHL Entry Draft without a team name/jersey?

gojetsgo

There's a chance, according to True North, that they won't have a name, logo, and uniforms ready for the new team by the time the NHL entry draft happens on June 24-25. It's hard for me to envision exactly what they will do as far as a jersey for the drafted players.

I started thinking about the precedent that was already set, and I understand that the Colorado Avalanche didn't unveil their team name and uniforms until August of 1995. In fact, I think they were toying with the name "Rocky Mountain Extreme" (with neon colours to boot) around June. Thankfully, they ditched that idea.

So what did the Avs do for jerseys at the draft? Did they just wear NHL jerseys? Nordiques jerseys (seems unlikely)?

I tried looking up pics of that draft. The only notable players that the AVs drafted were goalies Marc Denis and Brent Johnson. But I can't seem to find pics of them at the draft. It was 16 years ago, after all.

Anyone remember what happened?

Here's Nikos Tselios from when the Whalers became the Canes.

53133838q.jpg

plain NHL jerseys, then. I see. Thanks!

I'm anxiously awaiting the new WPG/MB team name and logo. Looks like I might have to wait a while longer, if history repeats itself.

plain NHL jerseys, then. I see. Thanks!

I'm anxiously awaiting the new WPG/MB team name and logo. Looks like I might have to wait a while longer, if history repeats itself.

I think the problem with the Whalers/Canes, and why they used the NHL shield jersey, was because the franchise hadn't officially made the move to Carolina yet, so they were sort of still in limbo, officially at least.

With the Thrashers/"Jets", Winnipeg will officially have the team right before the draft, so they'd be fine to use a "Jets", or whatever they're going to be called, jersey. I'm assuming they've been putting a lot of time and thought into the name/logo/jersey, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it unveiled right before, or at the draft. That would be a great unveiling. It would be pretty lame if they just gave out an NHL shield jersey to their first draft choice.

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

I think the best way to do a generic jersey in today's draft would be to have a blank white sweater and in black radially arched letters write "WINNIPEG" and either have the NHL shield under that or front numbers. It's about as generic as you can get, and it would have more meaning than doing the WINNIPEG diagonally.

Great question though, I hope someone has the answer

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I was kinda expecting the final uses of the Thrashers set, but I do remember reading that True North would have a set in place by the draft. The BOG is set to vote on the sale and relocation just 3 days before the draft, so that gives them a little bit of time to get everything in place for the draft, so I fully expect to see the new identity unveiled at the draft. Unlike popular belief, I am not expecting a revival of the Jets name. I think we will see a completely new identity.

believew.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They could give me a t-shirt with the name Winnipeg written in Sharpie. If I was getting drafted into the NHL I wouldn't give a rip.

No need to rush a logo and uniform just because of the draft in the middle of the summer. There's plenty of time before the season starts. Take your time and get it right True North!

Archived