Winnipeg Jets

Davidson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a very nice image, but I don't think it functions well at all as a logo for a reinvented Jets franchise. As others have mentioned, the jets are pretty difficult for the eye to resolve, especially due to the fact that there's so much perspective emphasis put on the nose of the planes and not on the wings. I really see skyscrapers more than jets.

And also, as many other recent Jets concepts have done, there is a lot of undue emphasis on the maple leaf motif. I'm trying to understand why a team in Winnipeg would use a version of such a prominent national symbol. It's almost as if a team in Minneapolis or Des Moines used a bald eagle for a team whose nickname had nothing to do with eagles. However, I do think an updated version of this--with clearer jets--could function very well as an alternate logo. I just wouldn't go so heavy on the maple leaf and so light on the jets for the primary mark.

EDIT: And Davidson, please don't let the knee-jerk, over-simplified, uninspired reactions discourage you from posting here. I've encountered similar reactions to my stuff, but there still remain here many designers and posters who provide thoughtful, considered feedback and who enjoy seeing your work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

It definitely needs to be reimaged. I see this as a solid secondary logo, but the maple leaf is too prominent, considering there's already a team using a maple leaf. The jets are also difficult to make out at first. I would put the focus on the jets, rather than the outside shape.

Also, despite the one or two idiots who give no input, please don't generalize. There are plenty of great designers who give and gave good tips, don't respond only to the useless comments. There are always gonna be people who offer no specific help, so just block them out and focus on the good ones.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

This is a part of art. You are going to get all sorts of responses ranging from very detailed praise to "meh." I'm not sure why you need to take such exception to those who put so little thought into their critiques. Just dismiss it.

A. You aren't going to please everyone, no matter how much effort you put into your work.

B. You can't stop people on here from giving simple responses.

You are a valuable member and resource here. It would be silly to let responses like these from people who are likely add little value cause you to leave.

This best looking concept of the jets

STOP. POST. PADDING.

Lights Out is telling someone not to post pad. Really man? REALLY?

Yes, really. When I critique someone's concept, I add more than just "I like it" or "I hate it". Look up a few posts and you'll see what I mean. Seancarter, on the other hand, has a history of coming into the concepts forum and adding nonsensical one-liners that always amount to either "I hate it, it sucks" or "I like it" without giving a reason why or constructive criticism at all.

Crap like that is part of the reason why the Concepts forum is dying and why the best designers on here are leaving. It's why I've stopped posting concepts altogether - I get very little criticism and a whole lot of "OMG I LOVE IT!!!!DO MY TEAM NEXT!" or "IT SUX I HATE IT". How am I supposed to improve my skills based on that?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hope this isn't the end of you here FD, but yeah. Not shocked.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

meh... could be better.

lol, this is why this is the last thing i post.

Say it ain't so, seriously. If this is true, I will cry. I'm not going to continue the littany of praise that's already been heaped on you, but I agree with it all, so please don't bail on this community just yet.

So far as the logo goes, I think the contrails are what throw people off this concept. Using those thick blue lines for the cons makes them look like part of the blue shapes in the middle and obscures the jets. I think you could also continue the red stroke around the inside of the wings to separate all three jets from one another. I think the connection of the three jets throws off making it look like individual aircraft instead of one big blue thing.

I've seen other jet-and-leaf designs and I think this is the way to go, it just needs a couple of changes to make it work.

Another idea, to tie the whole concept together (titling, leaf/jets, etc.) consider using concentric blue and white circles like the RCAF roundel to border the leaf. I don't think it would have to constrain the leaf, the points of the leaf could protrude beyond the edge of the circle or something, but it would bring the titling in as part of the logo. That would also translate better to putting the logo and text on a jersey, whereas now I think you could really only put the leaf on the center of a hockey jersey.

Looking forward to post 2,085...

Grunge-Logos.png

Am I the only one who saw the maple leaf and jets at first glance?

Fine work as always davidson.

You're not the only one. I'm not sure what all the negative feedback on this one's for, IMO it's your best work yet. Although, maybe making the jets a little bit more clearer wouldn't be a bad thing, all that I think you really need to do is tweaking things, not a whole overhaul of the situation.

6fQjS3M.png

Davidson please don't leave!

I really do love this idea. Perfect way to incorporate Canada and the Jets. As many have said, it might need to be simplified. I love the angle however, it's like SCRAMBLE THE JETS! (new rally song?) ^_^ . This is the kind of thing that with the necessary changes said by many really should be submitted to the ownership group. Absolutely amazing thinking and execution as always!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

This is freakin awesome! Love the way you have worked the jets (which I thought were easy to see) within the leaf. I think it's NHL ready as is. For those who had to look twice to see jets, I know in general you want an easily identifiable logo but sometimes if a logo makes you have to look twice and it reveals more than it can just make a logo better.

well rendered and thought-out.

i just think the maple-leaf-cause-we're-from-canada thing is really really played out and boring at this point. especially for the primary logo of an NHL team that isn't named "maple leafs."

i'd also try to flatten the jets a little. i think they look a little like the empire state building, largely because the way my eyes are perceiving the angles of the jets contour as not being as flat as i'd expect a jet to be.

as far as this being the last thing you post, that's disappointing. you're easily the most talented artist here, as far as my opinion goes... that said, i'm not going to beg for you to stay like some people. seems a bit silly and overly serious by all involved.

Archived