Yakball

raysox

211190_103009456454524_610840_n.jpg

What is Yakball?

Yakball is a sport I made up, which is gaining popularity with kids in the area. My goal this summer is to found a 5 team league consisting of students from 5 high schools in the Tampa Bay area. Before the concepts, I shall give you the rules.

222801_1936019874616_1065919663_2226330_6958636_n.jpg

Basic Rules

• 4 players on the field, per team
  • Four 10 minute periods in a Yakball game
  • Goal of the game is to bounce the ball into the target, a 3 by 6 box 4 feet off the ground
  • Most points win
  • The ball is in play, even after points. Once a point is scored, the possession is changed, and play is resumed behind the 2 point line
  • The playing field is broken up into 3 zones, 2 point zone, neutral zone, and crease zone.
  • A game ball is a Volleyball
  • The playing field is 36 feet wide at the wall, 56 feet wide at the far end and 56 feet long
  • Play is opened by a faceoff, one occurs at the start of each half
  • A crease is a semi-circle in front of the target, no offensive player is allowed in the crease.
  • The crease zone comes out 16 feet from the wall, and players with possession cannot move when in this zone. They can rotate on a pivot foot, however.
  • A shot from behind the 2 point line in the 2 point zone is worth 2 points
  • A foul results in a Penalty for the team, a 4 on 3 advantage for the team who had the foul commited against them.
  • 2 passes must be made before a point is scored
  • Hitting is allowed, but nothing to the head and back. Legal hits are only to the player with the ball.
  • Fouls include: Illegal hit, tripping, catch interference, 5 second rule, and crease violation.
  • A ball that goes out of bounds is a change in possession, and results in an inbound.
  • Only throwing the ball, and heading the ball counts. No kicking the ball into the target.
  • The Center must remain in the box the whole game, unless subbed.
  • When a shot is taken, only one player non center can be in the box. 3 or more players in the box on a shot results in a change of possession.

Positions

• Center- The player near the crease. He will be there to clear up space for the other players, defelect shots into the target, and even block shots. A big tall person would play here.
  • Enforcer- The player at the top. The catalyst of the offense, the player who does faceoffs, and runs the offense. A player with a sharp shot would play here
  • Left wing- The player to the left of the box. A left wing would try to get open shots by running around and getting open. A right handed player would play here.
  • Right wing- The same type player as a left winger. A lefty would be play here.

Stats

• Point- A shot that hits the wall inside the target
  • Assisst- A pass before a point. If the scorer has the ball for more than 5 seconds, then there is no assist
  • Deflection- A redirection of a shot by another offensive player. The player shooting gets the point, and the deflector gets a deflection
  • Block- A block of a shot
  • Rebound- Gathering of a loose ball after a shot
  • Hit- A check to a player with the ball
  • Fouls- A penalty resulting in a uneven situation

Now, to the concepts. Being a non-school related sport, I thought making logos made sense, plus it was an opportunity to work my skills. The teams are the Dunedin Falcons, Palm Harbor Hurricanes, Tarpon Springs Spongers, East Lake Eagles, and Countryside Cougars.

Schools.png

I hope I can get some logo C&C, and maybe some interest in the game. This week we're going to film a how to play video to try and spark interest.

Of course my school gets the worse logo of the 5 lol. How our eagle turned into the Van Halen logo, I will never know.

Seriously though, I like the idea of the game, and I like the other 4 logos, especially the Tarpon one, a lot better than the over detailed crap they have now (or when I was in school). Where do you guys play at?

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Sounds like a fun game... Tarpon Springs Spongers and East Lake Eagles are my two favorites, (Spongers being my favorite, nice work.) The Eagles logo has a lot of potential. I like the simple geometric qualities to it. I think with a few tweaks there you have a winner. Good variety between the logos as well. Maybe try making the chins a tad smaller on the Falcons and the Cougars?

Nice Work.

Why not check out my blog? Oneoff Nation

This is awesome, raysox. I actually have a game that i with friends that's a mix of basketball, football, and soccer. I remember doing concepts for that sport, too.

Anywho, the only two that need work are the Cougars and Falcons. Those two you might as well start fresh on, they're not very smooth and flowing. Take some ideas from other logos or references and start with some sketches. Any sort of cat logo seems to be a pain in the *ss for me, so I don't blame ya.

Also, can we expect some jerseys?

Nice work.

Of course my school gets the worse logo of the 5 lol. How our eagle turned into the Van Halen logo, I will never know.

Where do you guys play at?

Yeah, I'm still kind of working on East Lake, I might do a moderner type logo. But we play at Sunderman Fields(Palm Harbor Little League fields)

Maybe try making the chins a tad smaller on the Falcons and the Cougars?

Yeah, the Cougars is still coming, I wanted some C&C on it so I can tweak it a little

Sounds like a pretty fun game. What font did you use in the Palm Harbor one?

Aachen Bold

How about a Pinellas Park team?

(P.S. Don't use their stupid knockoff of the Pats' real logo)

If you want to play! ^_^

Anywho, the only two that need work are the Cougars and Falcons. Those two you might as well start fresh on, they're not very smooth and flowing. Take some ideas from other logos or references and start with some sketches. Any sort of cat logo seems to be a pain in the *ss for me, so I don't blame ya.

Also, can we expect some jerseys?

For the falcon one, I tracedthis picture, but yeah I might work on the neck area. But I'm willing to rework the Cougar one for sure. I drew it a bunch on the SAT, but I couldn't take a picture so I went off memory. There isn't many good cougar pictures in that pose wither, ahahh.

[*]Fouls include: Illegal hit, tripping, catch interference, 5 second rule, and crease violation.

[*]Assisst- A pass before a point. If the scorer has the ball for more than 5 seconds, then there is no assist

I really like the sounds of this game, and would probably sign up if it were available in my area London, Ontario. However I believe the above quotes kind of cancel eachother out no? If being in control of the ball for 5 seconds results in a change possession, then no assists would ever be washed out..... am I correct? Or am I just reading it incorrectly?

sig.png

I really like the sounds of this game, and would probably sign up if it were available in my area London, Ontario. However I believe the above quotes kind of cancel eachother out no? If being in control of the ball for 5 seconds results in a change possession, then no assists would ever be washed out..... am I correct? Or am I just reading it incorrectly?

Actually, that rule is kind of outdated, and obviously not clear. But we DID have the field set up like a basketball court, and if an offensive player was in the "paint" for 5 seconds, it would be a turn over. But it's actually changed a lot since then.

Join the facebook group if you all want to.

Really cool and interesting idea here. Me and my friends make sports up all the time and it's really neat to see a made up sport organized into a league. Like others have said the only two that I think need much work are the cougars and panthers, they just look kinda awkward. My favorite is tarpon springs. I've been in the town many times and always loved how unique their high school nickname is. One added thing that could perhaps make the logo a little better is maybe adding a Greek pattern to the rim of the glass on the helmet since their is such a great Greek influence in the town. Also would love to see pinellas park and maybe a shorecrest and Lakewood one

maehl.png

Yeah, I'm still kind of working on East Lake, I might do a moderner type logo. But we play at Sunderman Fields(Palm Harbor Little League fields)

I know where your talking about. If you did get a league together, would you all play in the same place, every time, or would you play at each team's respective home field?

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Your one-color logo efforts end up being far more successful than their less simple counterparts. Spongers is easily the best but I like the simplicity of the Eagles. Palm harbor is also a good example of simplicity working with the hurricane shape, but I don't like the font choice at all. Your cougar and falcon renderings need a lot of work. The Falcon doesn't really come across as a head of a bird because of the way the neck looks cut off, and the swooshy thing on the left is distracting and, for me, doesn't show motion like it should. I can tell you are going for a bobcats look to the Cougars logo, but the mouth area needs some cleaning up, specifically the white shape below and to the right of the mouth. All the wordmarks look pretty good though, I'd work on the Eagles mark to make it look less generic.

Your one-color logo efforts end up being far more successful than their less simple counterparts. Spongers is easily the best but I like the simplicity of the Eagles. Palm harbor is also a good example of simplicity working with the hurricane shape, but I don't like the font choice at all. Your cougar and falcon renderings need a lot of work. The Falcon doesn't really come across as a head of a bird because of the way the neck looks cut off, and the swooshy thing on the left is distracting and, for me, doesn't show motion like it should. I can tell you are going for a bobcats look to the Cougars logo, but the mouth area needs some cleaning up, specifically the white shape below and to the right of the mouth. All the wordmarks look pretty good though, I'd work on the Eagles mark to make it look less generic.

+1

I can't really say anything else, this sums it up perfectly. ^_^

Creating sports is awesome. I created one about eight years ago. (We played it organically first for months and then wrote the rules after it became popular.) My advice would be to get people to play it as much as you can, as that's the best way to really work out the kinks of the game and to decide what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I know where your talking about. If you did get a league together, would you all play in the same place, every time, or would you play at each team's respective home field?

I know there is walls at East Lake and Dunedin's soccer fields, but they aren't as big. The one at our field is 36 foot long, and 12 feet high. It's perfect because the goal we use is 6 by 3, so its somewhat symmetrical.

Thanks elliot, I'll tweak the falcon for sure, and I pretty much restarted the cougar using BYU's logo as a reference.

This game sounds fun, I would love to play if I could. Would there be uniforms for this? What would they look like? That's all I can wonder about.

Pretty much soccer uniforms. I've worn high socks to pretty much every game we've gone out to play, and you can be more creative.

Creating sports is awesome. I created one about eight years ago. (We played it organically first for months and then wrote the rules after it became popular.) My advice would be to get people to play it as much as you can, as that's the best way to really work out the kinks of the game and to decide what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

We do have a large following, the group I have on facebook that we orchestrate our meetings has about 50 people, and my girlfriend wrote an article in the school newspaper.

Very interesting idea and a very sound idea.

Just a few things... what surface is this game played on? Grass or hard court? And I wonder how this game could be played if it was played at two ends rather than just the one? I guess it could be adapted. But I do really like this idea. I hope its a success for you.

Good luck

Cheers

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Very interesting idea and a very sound idea.

Just a few things... what surface is this game played on? Grass or hard court? And I wonder how this game could be played if it was played at two ends rather than just the one? I guess it could be adapted. But I do really like this idea. I hope its a success for you.

Good luck

Cheers

I agree is their any reasoning for one end rather than two?

166gd1j.jpg

Archived