Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

I have a friend of mine that's somewhat on the inside who disclosed to me that a southern-based NHL franchise is in the process of preparing for a rebranding, allegedly to be announced sometime in the spring of 2012 and to be effective starting with the 2012-13 season.

The rebranding, I'm told, will incorporate not only a change in colors, but a change in the team's name and, quoting my friend, "something that's never been done in the NHL before."

Unfortunately, he didn't disclose which "southern-based" team he was referring to, nor provide any other details. But to even be able to break this here on the CCSLC (at least, I *think* I'm breaking it here; maybe someone else has posted it), even without detail, is cool for me.

So, let the speculation begin: who will it be, what new name will they use, what colors will they adopt, etc., etc.?

EDIT:

For the love of all that's holy, please read the entire thread before you speculate... within its contents I provide additional information that, in a number of cases, dismisses your presumptions.

Several of you, not mentioning names, have posted specific suppositions which, had you taken the time to read the thread before posting your 2 cents, you would've learned weren't going to happen. I know it's hard for some of you - but read and digest before you speak.

I don't know what exactly is going on with this, but I in some cases know what isn't, and have posted that information here if you look before you post.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Jeff Loria secretly purchased the Panthers? So long Florida Panthers, hello Miami Panthers and orange and black!

Or are the Carolina Hurricanes changing their colors to navy, green, and silver, and changing their name to "Hartford Whalers"?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Tampa Bay: No, they just rebranded.

Florida: No, they have the red thing

Carolina: Maybe........

Nashville:No, they are getting new unis next year

Dallas: Probably not, they are getting new alts this year.

Phoenix: Maybe if the city of Glendale pays for them............

LA: No, they are doing the black thing.

Anaheim: Maybe a return to the Disney era?

I don't think doing something like changing your home jersey color or getting new alternates disqualifies a team from this discussion, a name change is pretty drastic and would make what Florida or Dallas are doing now pretty insignificant.

My best guess would be Florida, just because of the rumors of ownership change and their already-divided identity (two different cat logos in leaping panther and circle logo, two different color schemes).

Changing the name could mean the city name or the nickname.

If it is city name, my vote would be Anaheim (another LA Ducks of Anaheim?)

If it is the nickname, my vote would be Dallas. Lonestars anyone?

Where does your friend live, and how "on the inside" is he?

With the rate secrets are kept in the NHL, how has this not leaked prior to this?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I'm guessing Dallas because teams often move away from green during a rebrand, and Stars is a somewhat generic name that ownership probably doesn't feel like they "own".

True, but it does have significance being as Dallas is in the lone star state. North Stars hold over or not, I think the Stars name works just fine in Dallas; I doubt they're going to change.

I can see the Ducks doing it.

Started with the Alt last year with old Wildwing logo as the shoulder patch.

I hope, but would anyone really refer to Anaheim as southern? I think they would have said western if they were talking about Anaheim. I know it is southern, but when I hear south I think of the states to the east of Texas.

My guess would be the Panthers. I could see them going a new direction.

90758391980.gif

I'm guessing Dallas because teams often move away from green during a rebrand, and Stars is a somewhat generic name that ownership probably doesn't feel like they "own".

True, but it does have significance being as Dallas is in the lone star state. North Stars hold over or not, I think the Stars name works just fine in Dallas; I doubt they're going to change.

Dallas doesn't even have owners right now, so I'm not sure who would be the ones in power to even implement such a change. My guess is it's not Dallas.

The thing is the Cowboys pretty much own the preeminent Star logo in professional sports, so the Dallas Stars can never really be at that level of recognition with their name/logo because somebody already does it perfectly. The Stars tried another way of portraying stars with Mooterus and it was awful. I just think they are stuck with their identity and want a change that they can more fully own.

dallas-cowboys-logo.jpg

Another team relocating? I do remember reading that the Toronto Legacy had plans to begin for the 2012-13 NHL season....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

one can only dream...sigh

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

My first thought was Tampa, then I quickly remembered the rebrand. Then I thought of Dallas, as the name is fairly generic. But the 99 cup makes me think otherwise. So the question is how important is a new alt or primary?

I'd say one of the following:

• Florida: The most irrelevant team in sports. I could see them going with "Miami" since there is another team in FLA (though there was when they started). The Marlins are doing it. I always thought it was weird for a team in a state with more than one team to name after the state.
  • Carolina:Though they won a cup too. But their uniform is so boring. Plus some people don't like natural disaster names.
  • Nashville: (How key are the new uniforms?)
  • Phoenix: May be a stretch to connect to the Winnipeg move...I hope not. As long as they are in PHO, it's a great name.
  • Anaheim: Maybe a SoCal resident has a sense of whether the old identity is preferred. I hope they don't go back to the Disney name. I could deal with the logo/colors, but no "Mighty"

If I had to make one guess, I'd say Florida becomes Miami and changes their name.

One scenario I thought of is the Kings. They are by far the most established of the "southern based" teams and my gut was "no way." But consider this: the Sacramento Kings are probably coming to Anaheim. Would the LA Kings change to separate themselves (and take advantage of an opportunity to get new merchandise out)? I hope not...that would send the message that the NHL is rolling over for the NBA.

I am also intrigued by "something that's never been done in the NHL before". Then again, word on the expansion bobcats uniform was that it was going to be revolutionary (leading to rumors of clear side panels) and...meh.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is really interesting news.

Here's my thoughts regarding the teams that come to mind:

Dallas - Very possible, perhaps a change to "Lonestars".

Carolina - I personally don't think it's them, as they have won a recent cup with the Hurricanes identity (establishing themselves as one of the few success stories in the south). I'm not at all saying it's impossible, they're just not the team I'd bet money on.

Florida - The recent red campaign makes it seem unlikely (why change things up the year before a rebrand?), but some of the reasons mentioned above make you wonder...

Tampa Bay - I'd say no, as they just rebranded.

Nashville - Also planning on changes next year, so I'd say likely no.

Now, these may or may not be counted as "Southern", but just in case...

Phoenix - Definetely possible, if by some miracle they're still around by then. A switch to "Roadrunners" would be pretty cool.

Anaheim - I certainly hope so. Thier identity is among the biggest messes in the NHL. I'd love a return to the Disney era (arguably one of the most unique and identifiable brands in NHL history), but if not that, then something that's much more visually appealing than the steaming pile they've got now.

But the thing that catches my attention most is the OP quoting his friend saying "Something that's never been done in the NHL before." of course this is wide open and could pertain to anything from the name to the uniforms....but my honest-to-goodness first thought was this: what if a team goes the Euro route and throws in an "HC"? Like, "Carolina HC" or "HC Nashville", for example? I'm not saying that's what I'd pull for, but that thought hit me in an instant when I read that quote.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived