Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

Maybe its just because I'm from down south, but I'm really not getting all this "insensitivity" mumbo-jumbo in regards to the nickname "Hurricanes"--and this is coming from someone for whom living through various tropical weather phenomena was a yearly event. I really wonder if the "insensitivity" tag got brought up originally from people living outside the region thinking they know what's best, or what should occur, and then others just jumped on the train. It's happened before in the news media...it's also happened in here before in regards to other stuff. Just bear in mind this same type of insensitivity PC jibber-jabber is what led to the Devil Rays, named for an actual sea creature, being rebranded to Rays (of sunshine, complete w/ starburst glint--even w/ recolored animal logo, unless they finally stopped using that.)

And while my mind's on it, several posters have pitched the idea of renaming the Hurricanes to something dealing with flight...true, Kitty Hawk is a well-known landmark, and a landmark event occurred there...but the history of flight, and all that work the Wright Brothers put into achieving that goal of creating a working flying machine, traces its roots back to Ohio, particularly between Toledo and Dayton. Just figured I'd throw that historical nugget out there.

Thus concludes my two copper coins on the matter.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its the carolina hurricanes. they are going to rebrand from the Hurricanes to a new name because of the sensitivity of the name Hurricanes in the wake of recent natural disasters. rebrand to include new name, logo, and color scheme.

I just spent $70,000 (thankfully, most of it insurance company money) to restore my home thanks to a natural disaster that plowed through the middle of downtown Raleigh. As I write this, I hear the sounds of hammering, sawing and other construction as my neighbors do the same.

No one here is clamoring for the Hurricanes to change their name, nor for any team named Tornados or Storm to. We're regularly pelted by hurricanes here; generally speaking and pardon the pun, we weather them okay. They might be doing something, but if they are it sure isn't because the locals have suddenly gotten sensitive about use of the current moniker.

nav-logo.png

So if the Hurricanes rebrand due to the "sensitivity" of their name, then I suppose Colorado will be on that bandwagon at some point in the future? The Sharks need to change too. Shark attacks are nothing to be joked about. And the Flames? Better talk to Smokey the Bear about how inappropriate that name is.

Sorry but that's idiotic. Guess we should change Lions and all Tiger-related teams because some moron got eaten by one in a NYC apartment recently too. Hey, Pistons must go because of the financial and emotional distress when a piston fails in someone's car. What about Saints and the Catholic priest scandals? 49ers promotes economic class envy. Bears and Bruins...same as Lions and Tigers, munch munch. Bucks are targets of violent non-vegetarians! So are Ducks!

No matter what any team is named, there will be some liberal whiner there to claim they're offended. As a Redskins fan, I've been putting up with them for decades.

It's bad enough the Bullets' identity was thrown away for a horrible name like the "Wizards". If this is true and really happens, it's a joke...a crock. If people are "so sensitive" that the name of a sports team stresses them out, I fear the future of our civilization. We've already feminized the males in our society enough, lets not make them overly-sensitive girly-men on top of it.

Thankfully the U of Miami will never consider this...at least they better not.

87Redskins.png

So if the Hurricanes rebrand due to the "sensitivity" of their name, then I suppose Colorado will be on that bandwagon at some point in the future? The Sharks need to change too. Shark attacks are nothing to be joked about. And the Flames? Better talk to Smokey the Bear about how inappropriate that name is.

Sorry but that's idiotic. Guess we should change Lions and all Tiger-related teams because some moron got eaten by one in a NYC apartment recently too. Hey, Pistons must go because of the financial and emotional distress when a piston fails in someone's car. What about Saints and the Catholic priest scandals? 49ers promotes economic class envy. Bears and Bruins...same as Lions and Tigers, munch munch. Bucks are targets of violent non-vegetarians! So are Ducks!

No matter what any team is named, there will be some liberal whiner there to claim they're offended. As a Redskins fan, I've been putting up with them for decades.

It's bad enough the Bullets' identity was thrown away for a horrible name like the "Wizards". If this is true and really happens, it's a joke...a crock. If people are "so sensitive" that the name of a sports team stresses them out, I fear the future of our civilization. We've already feminized the males in our society enough, lets not make them overly-sensitive girly-men on top of it.

Thankfully the U of Miami will never consider this...at least they better not.

I could be interpreting wrong but I think GMW79's post was intended as sarcasm...

So a "Southern-based" team is rebranding. And within this rebrand effort exists a name change, a color change, and an element that has not been done ever before in the NHL. But the team is not moving, or becoming an extension of a corporation(naming-wise or logo-wise).

This is pretty straight-forward, but unfortunately still very vague. I could throw out some ideas to fuel speculation (Has pink ever been used? Have nameplates ever been under the number? T-Shirt sleeves ever been seen? Has any team ever worn capes? Polka-dots might be new! Two white jerseys? One jersey for home & road? Camouflage? Jerseys that light up? Front of jersey one color, back of jersey another color? Pride stickers on the helmet? Nameplates say the city name on all jerseys?) but I won't do that :wink2: , because I have no inside info.

So wait is Ted Williams a Red Sock? I'm more confused now than before!

Yes, because "Sox" was headline shorthand for "Socks," itself a nickname for "Stockings." You're really talking about the Boston Red Socks, you're just using proto-Vince Russo spelling conventionz.

You are actually incorrect. If a player is a famous Dodger, or a famous Yankee, than another player with the same popularity is a famous Red Sox, not Red Sock. Weird but true. Same with the White Sox. An individual is never called a White Sock or a Red Sock, according to AP journalistic standards.

Tell the AP to sit on a tack. Calling someone a Sox is ridiculous, and I won't do it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So long Predators.

Really? Or is it just new uniforms for the Preds?

You can thank Dateline for changing the meaning of "predator." They also haven't really changed in 13-14 years.

I just have a strong feeling that it will be them. Nashville has a lot of cultural influences that they can play off of.

I have it on good authority that the Panthers are becoming the Miami 2 Live Crew, and the new team anthem will be something called "Me So Hockey".

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

So long Predators.

Really? Or is it just new uniforms for the Preds?

the whole predators identity package just has been something i haven't really gotten behind. I don't know if it's the name or if it's the logo which i do actually like, or the jersey designs but i just haven't been able to get behind their visual package 100%. Their old identity screams expansion team, not really feeling the current, so i'm not sure what design could be utilized i could get behind 100%. I've seen traditional concepts and yet again for a late 90's expansion team in a hockey last area, i really can't feel the more traditional designs for them. they are kinda like the lightning where they don't really need a traditional design but some of the modern designs they have for them just look like crap.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Chrome-plated fossil skull or not, you're doomed to expansiondom with a name like "Predators," the kind of name that probably would not have occurred to the charter members of the four leagues. It's neither pithy nor transcendent of aggressive competition.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chrome-plated fossil skull or not, you're doomed to expansiondom with a name like "Predators," the kind of name that probably would not have occurred to the charter members of the four leagues. It's neither pithy nor transcendent of aggressive competition.

And at the same time when is the last time in the last 20 years of expansion in the big for (aside from the Browns and Bobcats) that we got a Lions, Tigers, Bears type name.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I like the Jaguars name. It's the perfect expansionist name. It's a big cat, which seems decidedly rooted in traditional naming conventions, yet it's exotic enough to work for a new comer. I hope they keep the name once they move to LA.

Archived