Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

Here is a rough definition of Cubism:

"In cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted forminstead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context. Often the surfaces intersect at seemingly random angles, removing a coherent sense of depth."

Seems like that description fits both Coyotes logo's to a tee. What it is has to do with Renaissance painting I'll never know but then... I don't make the rules.

While the Coyotes original logo was kind of cubist it was also kind of a bastardized "Native American Artwork" - Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada/Utah cliff dweller drawings. Instead of "Picasso Coyote" I would call it the "Peyote Coyote".

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is waaaaay outside of the box:

Any chance they Predators partner in some way shape or form with the U of T and become the Nashville or Tennessee Volunteers to expand the fan base in the state?

Would the NCAA even allow something like that?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Here is a rough definition of Cubism:

"In cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form?instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context. Often the surfaces intersect at seemingly random angles, removing a coherent sense of depth."

Seems like that description fits both Coyotes logo's to a tee. What it is has to do with Renaissance painting I'll never know but then... I don't make the rules.

While the Coyotes original logo was kind of cubist it was also kind of a bastardized "Native American Artwork" - Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada/Utah cliff dweller drawings. Instead of "Picasso Coyote" I would call it the "Peyote Coyote".

It borrows a great deal specifically from Hopi Kachina artwork, the straight/jagged geometric dichotomy and the bold Haring-esque lines especially.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Yeah, the original one looked pretty clearly influenced by Katchina, which I loved.

This new one just doesn't work. It's awkward, trying to be too much (realistic and stylized at the same time) and failing at all of it.

Love the simple, classic sweaters. Love the color scheme. But the logo's awful.

Not quite as awful as the "roadkill coyote" on the alts, but still awful. I'd love to see the original concepts.

Any chance they Predators partner in some way shape or form with the U of T and become the Nashville or Tennessee Volunteers to expand the fan base in the state?

No way. Although light orange in place of yellow might be interesting.

Dude, epic sig pic peeing on Irsays grave in a Ravens jersey. The irony is that the list of Browns fans waiting to do that to Modell's grave if/when that happens, is countless. I know Ill be there.

Browns fans? You'd have to stand in line to get to the grave - the line to piss on it would be a few miles long.

$50 says he winds up cremated, just as a final show of spite.

Well the way I see it...you all in Cleveland should have seen it coming. If it could happen with a historical franchise like the Colts it could happen with the Browns. And you all have huge stones to carry a grudge...you got a new (partially) NFL funded stadium, all your history and colors and name back. Be happy you only went what 3 years with out the NFL. So if pissing on his grave will make you feel better...go ahead...but I will just keep dropping the Browns off at the Super Bowl every morning. Oh and you should also piss on Al Lerner's grave too...after all he brokered the deal to have the Browns move to Cleveland....I guess you all forget about that.

You're right - Cleveland should have seen Modell's relocating the Browns as a possibility, but for some reason always presumed that he'd never move the team... that somehow the NFL wouldn't let him do something like that.

That said, the grudge against Modell isn't because of him actually moving the team anywhere near as much as it is his running it into the ground financially first, then moving it in the fashion he did. Art Modell was, both in Cleveland and Baltimore, an essentially incompetent businessman - so much so that in the latter city he ultimately had, finally, to sell.

Modell took over the management of Cleveland Municipal Stadium via a sweetheart deal, then somehow managed to lose millions of dollars with it despite having spent virtually nothing on maintenance and having the place booked for 120+ dates a year with Indians games, concerts and other events along with his own Browns games. Then, after the Indians got a stadium and the Cavaliers had a deal in place for an arena, he expected Cleveland to hand him the keys to a second, brand new stadium, so he could run it incompetently as well. And, had he been willing to wait another 3-4 years, he'd have gotten it. But he was simultaneously reaching a point where his incompetence had him going from bank to bank to borrow money in order to pay signing bonuses, getting advances on TV rights fee payments from the NFL central fund, and ultimately exceeded the league-imposed debt-to-equity ratio.

Instead, he (and Al Lerner, true) took the team to Baltimore - where his debts were virtually wiped clean and he was given a new, state of the art stadium. And in less than a decade, the team's success on the field was matched by failure off of it - he once again was so incompetent that he exceeded the NFL's debt-to-equity ratio, and was so far up to his ass in debt that he was borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. That's the only reason he sold to Bisciotti (sp?) - because the NFL essentially told him they'd had enough of his bull :censored:.

So you see, the grudge about Modell doesn't have anything to do with Baltimore, or with the fact that he moved the team by and of itself, nearly as much as his overall incompetence as a businessman, and how that incompetence cost the people of Cleveland what they perceived as their team. In Star Trek parlance, Modell was the captain of the USS Excelsior who, after being so incompetent that he blew up the ship and had a mutiny among his staff officers, expected to helm the USS Enterprise. Instead he got the USS Titan, which he proceeded to nearly blow up shortly after taking command.

nav-logo.png

No way. Although light orange in place of yellow might be interesting.

Yeah, I didn't really think it was a realistic possibility. Just trying to think of something "that has never been done before".

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I wonder if the never been done before is advertising on the jerseys? Not quite like European hockey, but more like a small patch like in the AHL. Just also thought the possibilty the goalie will wear a different jersey from rest of team.

I wonder if the never been done before is advertising on the jerseys? Not quite like European hockey, but more like a small patch like in the AHL. Just also thought the possibilty the goalie will wear a different jersey from rest of team.

The different jersey on the goalie might be a possibility...It was tried for a few all-star games, but never beyond that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The different jersey on the goalie might be a possibility...It was tried for a few all-star games, but never beyond that.

lol European jerseys started as one or two patches, and now look at them. CFL is going in the same direction.

lol European jerseys started as one or two patches, and now look at them. CFL is going in the same direction.

ugg I really hope they aren't going to put ads on the jerseys, that's embarrassing.

The Coyotes uniforms are nice. The secondaries are fine too. Their primary logo is the worst in all of professional sport.

I'd probably put it a close second behind either of Nashville's.

Really??? I think the Predators logo is excellent. One of the better NHL logos IMO.

The Coyotes uniforms are nice. The secondaries are fine too. Their primary logo is the worst in all of professional sport.

I'd probably put it a close second behind either of Nashville's.

Really??? I think the Predators logo is excellent. One of the better NHL logos IMO.

You're going to find yourself in the minority on that one.

Currently it is not within league rules, I believe. Once it's allowed, you'll see it on almost every team year 1. So this is probably not the rumor in question.

ugg I really hope they aren't going to put ads on the jerseys, that's embarrassing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't see why hockey would require different sweaters on goalies. It's not like soccer where there are different rules concerning the run of play when it comes to the goalie, so I don't know why a hockey goalie would need to stand out from the other players.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I don't see why hockey would require different sweaters on goalies. It's not like soccer where there are different rules concerning the run of play when it comes to the goalie, so I don't know why a hockey goalie would need to stand out from the other players.

If you're playing hockey and can't tell if the player you're about to hit (or run into) has different pads (including huge leg pads), a different helmet, a different stick, and a glove and blocker, then I don't think a different color jersey is gonna do a bit of good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If you're playing hockey and can't tell if the player you're about to hit (or run into) has different pads (including huge leg pads), a different helmet, a different stick, and a glove and blocker, then I don't think a different color jersey is gonna do a bit of good.

Having the different colour jersey for the goalie would have nothing to do with the players being able to tell them apart from the rest of the skaters. It would just be for the sake of doing it, just like the stupid trim on some of the jerseys. There is no reason for it, but it's there.

Archived