Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

Everyone is overlooking Columbus, I could totally see them renaming them self's the "Ohio _____" and playing games in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. All three have arena's with 14,000+, and all have had some sort of pro hockey teams play in there. Pending these rumors are true of course.

How about the Ohio Players? :P

honey-ohio-players2.jpg

logo_naked.jpg

The vegas gold on black works nicely (better than it does for the Penguins), and they've got a logo that would be unique to the NHL!

I can haz sig?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ohio isn't really southern...

at all...

Cincinnati seems to be that same almost-southern kind of deal as St. Louis, where you have the urban Rust Belt core engulfed by slack-jawed yokels.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm thinking it's going to be Nashville, they were just in jeopardy of moving and would be perfect to take advantage of that situation with an empathy card.

I'm going to assume that you paid no attention to ticket numbers for this season and the playoffs. Nor read any articles about Nashville's support over the last few years. Nor read that other than Buffalo and Boston, the Nashville market had the highest viewership of Game 2 of the SCF in the league. SO I wont flame. Good try, though.

I bet it'll be something simple such as FLA to MIA. I'm guessing that's never technically been done in the NHL.

I'm going to assume you have absolutely no knowledge about NHL history. So I won't flame. Good try, though.

See how that works? <_<

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Everyone is overlooking Columbus, I could totally see them renaming them self's the "Ohio _____" and playing games in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. All three have arena's with 14,000+, and all have had some sort of pro hockey teams play in there. Pending these rumors are true of course.

I could see Cincinnati getting up for an NHL game, but Cleveland is completely unimpressed with anything from Ohio that isn't Cleveland and they're all weirdly opposed to the sport of hockey. When they got an NBA team in 2003 it really messed that city up because back in the day, Cleveland was a darn good AHL town.

Anyways, regional teams have never really worked and no free agent would want to endure that travel schedule.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I could see Cincinnati getting up for an NHL game, but Cleveland is completely unimpressed with anything from Ohio that isn't Cleveland and they're all weirdly opposed to the sport of hockey. When they got an NBA team in 2003 it really messed that city up because back in the day, Cleveland was a darn good AHL town.

Anyways, regional teams have never really worked and no free agent would want to endure that travel schedule.

lol I never said it was a good idea, just throwing it out there. Playing 10 games in Cleveland would not be that much worse. The Browns, Cavs, and Indians have all struggled lately, would a fresh team really hurt? And the "Q" can hold 17'000 for hockey, and is a fairly new arena. The attendance could not do much worse than in Columbus, where fans are sick of being sold on the same thing.

I'm thinking it's going to be Nashville, they were just in jeopardy of moving and would be perfect to take advantage of that situation with an empathy card.

I'm going to assume that you paid no attention to ticket numbers for this season and the playoffs. Nor read any articles about Nashville's support over the last few years. Nor read that other than Buffalo and Boston, the Nashville market had the highest viewership of Game 2 of the SCF in the league. SO I wont flame. Good try, though.

I bet it'll be something simple such as FLA to MIA. I'm guessing that's never technically been done in the NHL.

So they wouldn't want to add a whole city of fans? Why would any team not want to add fans? They were vulnerable a short time ago, and it would be the perfect time to be proactive and shore that up.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

If they're going to do that, they might as well move them to the Q permanently! Cleveland has better fans than both Cincy and Columbus!

The Barons failed because they played in Richfield. Not the best arena, hard to get to, and far from most people in Cleveland. Even the Cavs struggled with attendance there. But even though Cleveland's teams have struggled lately, the Browns and Cavs tend to be in the top 5 attendance every year. Yes, the Cavs were 3rd this year even after being the worst team. I don't blame Cleveland for not following the AHL teams, hell I've never even been to a game. It's tough for a city with major sports to care about a minor league team. The Indians are struggling because the Dolans have pissed off just about everyone in the city. The tribe was 1 game away from the WS in 2008, and they freaking traded almost everyone away for a handful of prospects. Any city would do the same, and although the team had played well early this season, they have pretty much collapsed now and won't be a contender this year.

If they're going to do that, they might as well move them to the Q permanently! Cleveland has better fans than both Cincy and Columbus!

blah blah blah Cleveland blah blah blah Cleveland

Exactly what I was talking about above.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A Broward County based team would never call themselves anything Miami-related. It would be a bad PR move. People in Broward County are proud that they don't live in Miami-Dade (and vice versa for people in Miami).

1997 | 2003

Maybe it's the Lightning, changing name to Bolts, first team to change to a nickname offcially that is essentially the same thing as the previous name.

And to add on, my wishful thinking, is they revery back to a previous generation of jerseys since the upcoming jerseys suck harder than a hooker with no customers in 3 days.

2ly2w09.jpg

This is interesting...though I sure hope it isn't Carolina or Dallas; I find both their overall identities (the Stars' "star pattern" jerseys, anyways) to be some of the most unique in the NHL. I, for one, like the Hurricanes' uniforms and color scheme, as well as the Stars' (provided that they can, you know, use green).

If there's anything that I'd do for Carolina, I'd swap out the silver for Carolina Blue:

5557715230_5a69e3078a_b.jpg

Though, a name like Carolina Pilots (honoring the Wright Bros.) might not be a bad idea.

So, problem. Adding the blue will continue to be stupid. Their color scheme is based on the hurricane flag, so please, show us where the Carolina blue exists in said flag. :P

Calling them the Carolina Pilots, when Kitty Hawk is only in North Carolina, while both Carolinas suffer hurricanes. :P

But, it's probably Phoenix to inject more cash into them as well as forcing them to relinquish the Jets history/identity to Winnipeg.

there's absolutely no way it's dallas. (my money is that it's not anyone, and this thread is useless)

reasons it's not dallas:

1) we won't have an owner until august, most likely. who exactly would be leading the charge to rebrand then?

2) we recently had our alternate jersey pushed back one season because the stars management team didn't want to make any drastic moves with the identity before the new owner took office. this would be the complete opposite of that news. it would be initiating a DRASTIC change before the new owner could approve.

3) the alternate jersey was supposed to be green and based on the north stars aesthetic. that's because the north stars merchandise flies off the shelves in dallas and always has. no way are the stars going to distance themselves from that any more than they already have. the fans want green. the fans want the star logo.

This post makes me feel a whole lot better, the Northstars/Stars identity is one of my favourite of all time.

Oh, now that's not true. There are no CBJ fans up here because they don't win and TV is monopolized by the Cavaliers.

(I'll also let you know the Monsters averaged the best attendance this Calder Cup playoffs...with only 4 games played at home but drew over 8,100 each game.)

People here root for Ohio State and the Crew if they like soccer, but the team has got to win first. Otherwise they're Wongs or Pens fans.

As per which team to change, I'd like to see the Panthers do something to spurn interest. Since its Miami and the Heat are the most popular basketball team in the south, maybe they'd attempt to tap a market by associating with them?

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

I can see it happening for either the Predators or the Hurricanes, both of which have unfortunate names that have been made all the more unfortunate by network news footage of coastal devestation and/or Chris Hansen.

If it were Nashville, I can see the team using Music City as a nickname for the city, and I can almost see Carolina going for an even more regional Dixieland thing, but I think Nashville would be the better bet if they're going that route.

The Florida Panthers, while the logo is...problematic, the name is solid. I can't see the Tampa Bay Lightning changing. I don't think anyone really thinks the Dallas Stars are going to make any drastic changes along these lines. The Blues have too much history, and do we really have to debate whether or not Ohio counts as the South?

I think this is probably a serious idea one of these teams is kicking around, but lump me in with Cole as thinking it will never see the light of day whatever it is.

nhl94vansigpng.png

What if the Cowboys bought the Stars, and they became the Dallas Cowboys (Hockey)? Would that be possible? I cna see it being something that would appeal to the NHL, in terms of raising the NHLs profile?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

could it be that Ducks will become Los Angeles Mighty Ducks of Anaheim... or... not since that has been done before, and it was said it's something completely new. :)

I liek idea of Carolina changing as I dislike their identity, and would love to see a team have few homes, either in Carolina or even with Atlanta, it would make a lot of sense.

I wonder if anyone who's in the "team X failed because the stadium was too hard to get to" has ever been to a major east coast city.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived