Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

If it is the nickname, my vote would be Dallas. Lonestars anyone?

How can "Lone Star" be pluralized? That would be akin to calling the team the "Lone Rangers".

Same way "Maple Leaf" is pluralized! :)

Toronto Maple Leafs is grammatically correct. They're just the only team in professional sports whose name includes a verb.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can "Lone Star" be pluralized? That would be akin to calling the team the "Lone Rangers".

Toronto Maple Leafs is grammatically correct. They're just the only team in professional sports whose name includes a verb. ends in "F"

Toronto (proper noun) Maple (adjective) Leafs (plural noun)

Columbus (proper noun) Blue (adjective) Jackets (plural noun)

Detroit (proper noun) Red (adjective) Wings (plural noun)

There is no verb in "Toronto Maple Leafs"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Toronto Maple Leafs is grammatically correct. They're just the only team in professional sports whose name includes a verb.

Hmmm...Can't say as I've ever wanted to "Toronto" "Maple" or "Leafs" someone or something. :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

My guess is no hockey crest. Large, football-style numbers on the front and back... the Cleveland Browns of hockey.

The Bruins of the 30s & 40s had a big number on the front.

Here's my guess...vertical pinstripes.

From what I saw on nhluniforms.com, it's never been done in the NHL. Only one team had vertical stripes, the Hamilton Tigers (1920s), but they were thick (like an NFL referee).

Then again, if the rumor just rebranding (city/nickname) and not uniforms specifically, then I got nothing.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think the guess of Carolina ditching the Hurricanes nickname and going with something less touchy (natural disasters have a bad reputation these days) is probably the best guess.

As for how it will be something "never before done," I'm guessing it will be something somewhat unremarkable related to the uniform (logo in a weird place or something like that), but it would be a lot more interesting (and probably stupid) if they messed with standard North American hockey naming conventions. Sort of like how the Toronto Raptors were almost the Torontosaurus Rex (I don't know if that story is even true, but it's something you hear from time to time).

I think the guess of Carolina ditching the Hurricanes nickname and going with something less touchy (natural disasters have a bad reputation these days) is probably the best guess.

As for how it will be something "never before done," I'm guessing it will be something somewhat unremarkable related to the uniform (logo in a weird place or something like that), but it would be a lot more interesting (and probably stupid) if they messed with standard North American hockey naming conventions. Sort of like how the Toronto Raptors were almost the Torontosaurus Rex (I don't know if that story is even true, but it's something you hear from time to time).

Beat me too it. I smell PCness coming, in the light of all the natural disasters they change to the flight or something weird. I also am digging Slappy's pinstripe assessment.

Two for one?

Toronto Maple Leafs is grammatically correct. They're just the only team in professional sports whose name includes a verb. ends in "F"

Leafs is grammatically correct word, but not as a noun, since the proper pluralization of leaf is leaves.

But it does work if "leafs" is a verb. So you can say that maple from Toronto sprouts leaves. Or even better, that maple from Toronto leafs through a book.

Toronto isn't actually the only team where the verb thing works. You could also say that a football team from Chicago carries a heavy load. Or that a hockey team from Anaheim drops down to avoid an object flying at its head. But Toronto is special in that its name ONLY makes grammatical sense if it's a verb.

Carolina changing their name from Hurricanes would be a major mistake, IMO. They've built up a pretty good brand with the Hurricanes name. And I can't really see the core of the Hurricanes fan base reacting positively to a PC-fueled name change.

Leafs is grammatically correct word, but not as a noun, since the proper pluralization of leaf is leaves.

But it does work if "leafs" is a verb. So you can say that maple from Toronto sprouts leaves. Or even better, that maple from Toronto leafs through a book.

Toronto isn't actually the only team where the verb thing works. You could also say that a football team from Chicago carries a heavy load. Or that a hockey team from Anaheim drops down to avoid an object flying at its head. But Toronto is special in that its name ONLY makes grammatical sense if it's a verb.

Um, no. It's a noun.

From Merriam-Webster:

leaf noun, often attributive \ˈlēf\

plural leaves \ˈlēvz\ also leafs \ˈlēfs\

It may not be the preferred plural form, but it is an acceptible one.

This comment is pretty ridiculous (honestly). I don't know why you think the last sentence is "even better"... :wacko:

Maple's not even a noun (it's an adjective), so it can't leaf through a book. Show me a maple. Not a maple tree, not a maple shrub, not maple syrup, not a maple table...just a maple.

In this proper-noun team name context, maple leafs refers to the, well, leaf of the tree. If you need help, check out the logo. It's a leaf. It's not "leafing" through a book.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Carolina changing their name from Hurricanes would be a major mistake, IMO. They've built up a pretty good brand with the Hurricanes name. And I can't really see the core of the Hurricanes fan base reacting positively to a PC-fueled name change.

This.

As another lifelong fan, please sweet Jebus don't let them change the name.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

This.

Just noticed you were from Raleigh, dg...

nav-logo.png

This.

So many 13 & 14 year olds using this board then. ;)

(5) My source does have the same anal attitude toward logos and team branding and so forth that you guys do (but which, I frankly, don't), so if he tells me it's something that's never been done before, odds are it's not something as minor as a font change or using bigger uniform numbers on a sweater.

I've got it, every jersey gets a QR code.

[redacted at the risk of having revealed more than I should have]

St. Louis rebrands to the "Reds" to court that all important Republican fanbase in Missouri and Downstate Illinois.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

-It won't be Anaheim, they won't rebrand 5 years after rebranding. That would be so stupid, and the current logos and jerseys are actually well liked (but the old ones are still a bit more popular).

-It won't be Tampa Bay, they are sort of rebranding this year.

-It won't be LA, they aren't the kind of team that would rebrand so drastically... plus they're just now going to Black, they won't just throw that away one year later.

It will either be Florida, Carolina, Dallas, or Phoenix (probably not Phoenix).

Maple (noun) from (preposition) Toronto (proper noun) sprouts (verb) leaves (noun)

Leafs is still not a verb in that sentence.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

-It won't be LA, they aren't the kind of team that would rebrand so drastically... plus they're just now going to Black, they won't just throw that away one year later.

wait, why not? Isn't their new look just the old 3rd and a white version of their old 3rd?

Could well be a placeholder to buy time for a new design altogether.

I've got it, every jersey gets a QR code.

Tampa Bay is doing this this year, are they not? They are putting a chip in every season ticketholder's new blue jersey to acknowledge their loyalty, and the chip, when flashed at concession stands and souvenir shops, is good for discounts on certain items.

This is what I thought the whole point of this thread was...but of course it's happening in 2011 and not 2012.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Archived