A few more NHL concepts..

elliott

(Scroll down for first update)

(Panthers on page 2)

Hello again, I know I never posted the Penguins alternates that I had worked up, but they never really ended up looking how I wanted them to, so I moved on. I started this Lightning concept about a month ago and its gone through a lot of revisions to get to this point. It evolved into a full fledged rebrand. Still might need more revision, I'm not too sure bout this one but I hope yall like it. I'm not gonna say too much about this concept in the first post because no one wants to hear my rambling, it's better to respond to comments directly anyways. All I'll say is that I was inspired by the Lightning's (failed, in my opinion) attempt to simplify there color scheme. However I only took away one color, as you know they only use minimal amounts of black in the rebrand and no silver. I dropped black but kept that gray around (I think mine's a little darker, not positive). The primary is a lightning bolt, emerging a sort of abstract sun circular shape, crossed with a hockey stick. Secondary is my attempt at a TB monogram, I got a little inspiration from the rumored new Predators logo. The triangles are supposed to continue the motif from the sun in the primary. I had worked with some shields combining with the wordmark and lightning bolt, but nothing was really catching my eye as being usable so I scrapped them. I tried to keep the jerseys consistent in terms of blue and white color balance, using the silver strictly as an accent color. It's also important to note that I tried to use the silver-blue-white stripe that is created by the outlines on the circle in the same manner throughout the uniforms, its kind of subtle in places. Pants keep the familiar lightning bolt stripe. I tried a silver alternate, this would more realistically be used as an away alternate because it's fairly hard to distinguish from a white jersey, or the other team would have to wear dark jerseys anyhow.

That's about that, I did both Florida teams so next you'll see my Panthers concept, it's more of a update to their logo package and a jersey refinement than it is a complete rebrand, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless... I also have Dallas in the works and I have some other ideas too. So look out for those concepts probably in this thread. I'll also post a few older drafts of this concept. Thanks for your comments and criticism.

Logos:

Primary | Secondary | Wordmark

Jerseys:

Lightning_2011-home.gif

Lightning_2011-away.gif

Lightning_2011-alt.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That number font is terrible. Otherwise, it's a solid concept.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The logo looks pretty good. It's a little ironic that you have a lightning bolt coming out of the sun, but it looks good. I would ditch the hockey stick though...I feel like it's unnecessary and that the logo would look better without it.

The striping on the jersey is AMAZING! It's really unique and it works really well.

And as the others have said, the number font could be better. Maybe it would look better with the six forwards.

HUGE improvement.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I really like this as a set, but I think the hockey stick in the primary needs to go, because it makes it too cluttered. It looks good enough with just the bolt and sun in my mind. The jersey striping is really cool and different, and I like that you kept the silver. Looking forward to Florida.

Nice rendering. The little sun makes me think of the old Panthers secondary with the palms and stick crossed. What if you made the sun rays little tiny bolts, so it kind of had a double meaning. I think thats far more effective.

Awesome! I think you're the first person to make the diagonal bottom stripe work. The only criticism I would have: The generic looking 3rd is unnecessary. NHL teams never release an alt the same year they introduce a new uni set. But it looks like you've already realized that and dropped it from your update posting.

I like all three jerseys alot. And THANK YOU for using more than the 2 colors the morons decided to use for next season.

And a lightning bolt that actually looks good?

Honestly, they could have paid you less than 1 million and ended up with a huge improvement. I like the aggresive style of the jersey, very fitting for the team as opposed to what they are trying to do now.

2ly2w09.jpg

Lightning_2011-home-2.gif

Lightning_2011-away-2.gif

Updated the font..

Much better...I could not tell what the original was supposed to be.

Very different idea from the usual Lightning concepts. I like it. The logo needs a little work but I really like the design and striping you used.

87Redskins.png

Nice, well thought out concept. I really like the jersey design(and I usually can care less about jersey design). The logo does resemble the FL Panthers alternate logo. Get rid of the stick to remedy that. How about some blue numbers on the gray jersey to make them stand out more?

Great work as always.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I can't decide if the Lightning concept is inspired genius or if the angular theme is a little too heavy on the conceptual side to work in reality. I do really like the colors you chose and the way they're employed, with the blue uniform using white heavily.

And while the logo is a nice logo, I have a problem with the fact that the lightning bolt is being paired with a sun, which seems counterintuitive. (It's also fairly similar to the Panthers' secondary, as others have mentioned, so it would be good to go a different direction with one or the other.)

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I can't decide if the Lightning concept is inspired genius or if the angular theme is a little too heavy on the conceptual side to work in reality. I do really like the colors you chose and the way they're employed, with the blue uniform using white heavily.

And while the logo is a nice logo, I have a problem with the fact that the lightning bolt is being paired with a sun, which seems counterintuitive. (It's also fairly similar to the Panthers' secondary, as others have mentioned, so it would be good to go a different direction with one or the other.)

Ok so, overwhelminghly, as you and others have mentioned, I see that y'all 1) don't really like the sun 2) don't like the crossed stick. I'm working on an update to the primary and secondary now, and chances are I might try to work in the stick into the identity a way that doesn't look like the Panthers for a tertiary logo. I will note, though, that I dropped the Panther's sun logo / suns in general in the concept I did for them, so in my little fantasy world only one of those teams would utilize the motif.

For now, here's my update to the alternate:

Lightning_2011-alt-2.gif

Archived