A few more NHL concepts..

elliott

The primary logo is mostly fine; it's nothing particularly amazing, but a very nice simplification of their logo. (There are some definite line width issues that need to be addressed, most notably on the white outline.) I think your color choices and balances throughout the identity are good. I like the emphasis on red.

I'm not sold on the F/Palm logo or the use of green, however. There's nothing particularly wrong with the logo per se, but it doesn't represent the Florida Panthers hockey club to me. It's more of an abstract image representing a generic beach environment, and I don't think it's good enough to use or to justify the use of green.

As far as the uniforms go, I think the red is much better than the white, where all the different colored stripes tend to run together and get a bit muddied. (Part of this probably has to do with the striping pattern, which is fairly complicated.) However, I actually really like the numerals. They're unique and the tapering terminations work well as a part of the overall identity.

A lot of criticism, I know, but I do like the concept in general. And it's refreshing to see a few people trying new ideas and approaches.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again, so I finally finished the Stars.

It took so long because I was doing a little experimenting with Speedy's awesome template, I got tired of the jersey template I was using and modified speedy's for my own uses. So big props to him. I'm gonna go back and tweak/edit the other concepts I've done with this new template because I think it looks wayy better. The Stars were an attempt to modernize and refine the primary logo, it might not look too different from afar but comparing the two will make the differences more obvious. Color scheme has changed: lighter green, paired with an athletic goldish shade and a darker forest green. The green and gold is a reference to the old North Stars colors. The jerseys are inspired by some North Stars jerseys as well, but I tried to take it a different direction with the triangular hem striping. The alternate striping is inspired by the simplicity of the stripes they use on their jerseys now, with a splash of gold on the sleeves. Shoulder patch logo is simply the state of Texas with a star over where Dallas is, nothing too fancy but I feel that the primary logo is able to stand alone to make the brand, in this identity and their current identity. That's about it, let me know what you think.

I have a Nordiques concept in the works, I'm also planning on putting a Penguins alternate out there, along with going back and redoing an Islanders alternate concept I never showed. Thanks for any and all comments.

Stars2011-logo-1.gif

Stars2011-home.gif

Stars2011-road.gif

Stars2011-alt.gif

Love this color scheme, but the one thing that looks off is due to the fact that your logo is italicized, the star becomes off center. I would try a version of the logo that it straight up. Might have to toy with it to make it more unique, but I think you can make it work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I really like this a lot! The updated font in the logo looks really good. You modernized it while still keeping it simple, which worked great. I love how the two greens compliment each other, and it's really unique. However, I would suggest darkening the forest green just a little bit for better contrast. The uniform design is solid too.

The color scheme is very nice. (Double green is really underused. I'm using it in a series I'm working on for a different NHL team.) But I think two things in the primary logo are throwing it off a bit. First, the curves on the upper right and lower left of the "S"s look really out of place (they don't match the sharp angles of the rest of the logo), and the lower left one on the first S especially makes that corner of the logo seem soft. Second, the two "A"s in DALLAS really stick out because of how far they rise above the rest of the letters.

The uniforms are great. I love the white yoke on the green jersey, it's a very classy nod to the old North Stars sweaters. Two things I'd love to see you try would be to switch the light and dark greens on the white uniform's striping (and numbers), and to make the sleeve stripes angled, to match the shoulder yoke and the side panels.

All told, this is another innovative and well done concept. Kudos.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

The color scheme is very nice. (Double green is really underused. I'm using it in a series I'm working on for a different NHL team.) But I think two things in the primary logo are throwing it off a bit. First, the curves on the upper right and lower left of the "S"s look really out of place (they don't match the sharp angles of the rest of the logo), and the lower left one on the first S especially makes that corner of the logo seem soft. Second, the two "A"s in DALLAS really stick out because of how far they rise above the rest of the letters.

The uniforms are great. I love the white yoke on the green jersey, it's a very classy nod to the old North Stars sweaters. Two things I'd love to see you try would be to switch the light and dark greens on the white uniform's striping (and numbers), and to make the sleeve stripes angled, to match the shoulder yoke and the side panels.

All told, this is another innovative and well done concept. Kudos.

Thanks, yeah, you are definitely right about the curved portions of the "s". As far as the "a"s in "dallas" go, I was trying to make it rise above the other letters just like the "a" in "stars", but I can see how that can be distracting from the rest of the logo, the emphasis should not be on "dallas".

Here's the two greens flipped:

Stars2011-road-2.gif

IMO this is a problem that 'series' have as opposed to one-off rebrands. As the series continues, less and less attention is paid to creating something special for each individual identity. The 'series' takes on a life of it's own... and some teams get thrown under the bus.

Case in point: With the Lightning, you re-invented their logo from scratch. And the rebrand looks great. But with the Stars, you're not really evolving the logo at all; it's really just a step to the side. In the Gestalt view it's the exact same logo: "a star, with Dallas Stars written above it."

You have to admit it's one of the lamest logos in the league, right? Can you imagine a different logo for the Stars... that's the challenge.

I love this concept!

I have leveled much criticism towards some of your other ones (Penguins comes to mind) but this is absolute perfection! The two tone green is a great idea and the striping gives them the type of classic look a team with a cup behind it needs. The logo is excellent modernization of an underrated classic. You toke the basic concept, eliminated the unnecessary black outline and made the font far more interesting. The only thing I would change (and its minor) is the "dallas" script at the top. It doesn't need the city name as it's good enough to stand on its own.

10/10

You have to admit it's one of the lamest logos in the league, right? Can you imagine a different logo for the Stars... that's the challenge.

How exactly is the Stars logo one of the Lamest in the leagues. It's simple, classy, understated and hasn't changed since 1992 (aside from a few colour tweaks and adding "Dallas" to the top.

"How exactly is the Stars logo one of the Lamest in the leagues. It's simple, classy, understated and hasn't changed since 1992 (aside from a few colour tweaks and adding "Dallas" to the top."

That's a valid question, and I will try to respond accurately and honestly.

Simple? True.

Classy? That's a meaningless word people use to fluff up their opinion statements.

Understated? False. It's actually OVER-stated.

Do you know how to draw?

Would you ever draw a bird, then write the word 'bird' above it? Would you ever draw a house and write 'house' above it? Why would someone draw a geometric shape like a star (recognizable by all) and write 'stars' above it? The whole point of visual communication is that a picture says a 1000 words. Check out theclinkroom.com; that guy gives excellent advice on how a logo can tell a story. ;)

Your Lightning concept is certainly years ahead the Leafs sweater they will use next season.

Your Panthers and Stars are also great. In real life, your funky numbers would not make the TV test but, this is why we call those concepts. Good job.

Do you know how to draw?

Would you ever draw a bird, then write the word 'bird' above it? Would you ever draw a house and write 'house' above it? Why would someone draw a geometric shape like a star (recognizable by all) and write 'stars' above it? The whole point of visual communication is that a picture says a 1000 words. Check out theclinkroom.com; that guy gives excellent advice on how a logo can tell a story. ;)

This is a gross oversimplification. There are plenty of other sports logos that feature a script, a lot of which spelling out both the city and namesake. For this particular logo the text and shape are combined in a clever way making the north point of the star the "A." Simple is effective, just ask the Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, etc.

Archived