Personal Logo

oaklandhusker

Preferences  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Heitert, I know this is just a quick mock-up, but since it's been posted here it's up for critique. There's a lot of circles and shapes in there and I dont think most people will even see a J, a D, or a P. I don't see it. It doesnt look like anything (other than maybe a lollipop).

Notice how simple the 2 logos above by goforbroke and CAB are. Every element has a purpose to being in the logo. In yours, there are a lot of unecissary shapes and elements that just make the logo confusing.

I was really just trying to give you an idea you could go of off. You could try a different style of lettering, and maybe get a similar shape while still being different from goforbroke's. I'm pretty sure you all know I did not rip off that logo, I've never seen it before. Just similar ideas. I'll echo what JQK said; if goforbroke asked you politely not to use it (which he did), then it's best that you don't.

Okay. In order to not be entirely ostracized by the CCSLC, I will give in. goforbroke, after I saw CAB's sketch, I put together a sketch with more breaks in the line. Would that be acceptable? Trust me, after it's been on the board, you will never see it again. Unless, perhaps, you go to my school...

Listen, since you've only been here a few months I'll explain whats really the route of the issue here.

People post concepts on these boards all the time. They work very hard on them really just to share their ideas, have some fun, and try some new skills. Then, a year later some semi-pro team in germany is using it on their website. There's not much anyone can do about it because copywrite laws and public domain are very ambiguous, and most people dont really have the time or money to do anything about it.

Not trying to blow this out of proportion, but because of that people are very protective of their desgins.

A lot of this logo theft we can't stop, but we can start with at least respecting eachother within our little communuity. I know you dont intend on profiting from this logo, but you still shouldn't use it. Or any tiny variation of it. You never know what can happen once you start telling people that can go ahead and use your design.

Use the boards the way the way they are meant to be used. Post your concepts, and we will be happy to critique them and help them become what you want. Do not use them to have other people do your work for you.

</preach>

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Another thing you could consider getting is a hanko (japanese 'stamp')

I got one made of my last name in katakana (basically my last name converted into what was closest in pronunciation in a form of japanese characters) - I believe I got the hanko from jun-gifts. I looked on a forum (maybe japan-guide??) and asked what the closest/most appropriate characters would be. My last name is Scheibler (pronounced Shy-blur). The character used were 4 characters:sha (shah), i (ee), bu (boo), ra (rah).

The one i got at jun-gifts was a self stamping keychain hanko (along with an ink refill).

You could also get your first name or a variety of other things.

I quickly scanned what the stamp produces (along with the green paper that came taped to my hanko - to show what side is up for the stamp).

2350864460102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. This is another JDP branding that I hope is more acceptable to everyone. It was made with paint on a moving bus crossing a bumpy stretch of road, so please excuse the roughness. If anyone would be willing to clean this up for me, make everything even, straighten the lines, etc. that would be awesome.

JDP.png

colors are not set in stone... Everything is supposed to be straight, with no diagonal lines...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

I'm going to BUMP this by asking people for some C+C on the new mark, as well as some help making it more professional-looking. Colors aren't set in stone except for the grey outlines, which was supposed to be a shadow sort of thing...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

I'm going to BUMP this by asking people for some C+C on the new mark, as well as some help making it more professional-looking. Colors aren't set in stone except for the grey outlines, which was supposed to be a shadow sort of thing...

I like the shapes and idea. Not sure about the colors. Here's a cleaner version.

jdp.gif

I like the shapes and idea. Not sure about the colors. Here's a cleaner version.

jdp.gif

thank you so much for your help. I'll BUMP this again by reminding you and everyone else that the colors (other than the grey) aren't set in stone....

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

As you have it now, the three elements don't really interact in a way that's readable and the three separate colors aren't helping at all, either.

I had a quick idea that I think does what your current mark fails to do:

jdp.png

It's by no means perfect, but I think it's at least readable as 'JDP'.

Also in the future, even if you don't have great art skills or expensive design programs you should still put in a little more effort. The bumpy bus excuse is pretty weak.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

• 1 month later...

As you have it now, the three elements don't really interact in a way that's readable and the three separate colors aren't helping at all, either.

jdp.png

Also in the future, even if you don't have great art skills or expensive design programs you should still put in a little more effort. The bumpy bus excuse is pretty weak.

I know this has been dead for a long time, but:

1. It is a weak excuse, but it's also the truth, like it or not. Sorry.

2. I was going for something simpler, where the letters weren't there unless seen in context. On your's, if you erase everything but the D, it's still a D. Not so on mine.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

jdp.png

I know this has been dead for a long time, but:

1. It is a weak excuse, but it's also the truth, like it or not. Sorry.

2. I was going for something simpler, where the letters weren't there unless seen in context. On your's, if you erase everything but the D, it's still a D. Not so on mine.

The J in yours would still be a J without the other fragments. I don't really understand why it needs to do that anyway as it would presumably always be a singular mark.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

What is this for again?

A personal logo for me.

But for...what?

Just as a mark, so that people would know something came from me, even though I didn't exactly write out my name...

That what came from you? Checks? Scribbled notes? Grocery lists?

Notes to other people... Drawings I'm probably going to lose in school... Why do you... care?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

What is this for again?

A personal logo for me.

But for...what?

Just as a mark, so that people would know something came from me, even though I didn't exactly write out my name...

That what came from you? Checks? Scribbled notes? Grocery lists?

Notes to other people... Drawings I'm probably going to lose in school... Why do you... care?

I'm trying to find out why anyone should care. You have asked others to clean up your work, or flat out make you a logo.

If it is for illustrative creative use, then it seems like it is a misrepresentation of your skills to rely on someone else's work.

If it is for notes and things of that nature, then why should we care?

Asking advice and tips is one thing, asking others to do the work for you is another.

Archived