"Classic" vs "Dated" NFL uniforms

Slater

This is one of those questions that probably has no clear answer and, indeed, is "in the eye of the beholder", but where does one draw the line between "classic" and "dated" looks when it comes to NFL unis? Teams such as the Bears, Packers, Raiders would probably fall in that category. I tend to see it as the classic look while I've heard others remark that they need to bring their unis into the 21st century. Then again, I'll be 51 in a couple weeks so maybe it's an age thing :D

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any uniform that tries to use large sleeve stripes is by definition dated, since there are no sleeves anymore. Not saying I dislike the design, but they sometime look ridiculous and out of place.

There are modern, contemporary ways to do traditional stripes. I find the Bears uniforms to look pretty streamlined and modern, while the Packers look more dated to me. Maybe the sleek, dark helmet has something to do with that, but I think the main thing is how well the stripes on the sleeves and socks coordinate with the helmet logo. Same scale and pattern. That sort of thing can really bring a set together to look very refined and contemporary.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This is one of those questions that probably has no clear answer and, indeed, is "in the eye of the beholder", but where does one draw the line between "classic" and "dated" looks when it comes to NFL unis? Teams such as the Bears, Packers, Raiders would probably fall in that category. I tend to see it as the classic look while I've heard others remark that they need to bring their unis into the 21st century. Then again, I'll be 51 in a couple weeks so maybe it's an age thing :D

I believe that the more traditional teams need a new look:

Browns

Chiefs

Raiders

Packers

Colts

spacer.png

I'd say the Cowboys are dated. Mismatched colors, lazy sleeve stripes, etc., don't work in the 21st Century. A couple of changes there can dramatically improve those uniforms.

Outside of that, I'm not sure a single NFL team a "dated" look. I much prefer the traditional looks of many teams to what teams like the Falcons, Seahawks, and Cardinals, to name a few, are wearing.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

for the record, i hate the raiders but i agree that they have perfect uniforms... maybe silver numbers on the road, but other than that, perfect to me.

and i think there can be dated looks on either side of the coin. i agree that that steelers are dated, and even though they're new, i think the niners are dated... but at the same time, my titans are very 2000... the bengals/cardinals/vikings are very dated too.

i'd say the most "classic" teams (meaning they look great regardless of history) are the chiefs, bears, raiders, ravens, texans, redskins, and saints. they don't look like they're trying to be retro. they just look simple and timeless. other teams like the packers and browns are cool for historical sake, but they look like they're wearing throwbacks every game. and that's part of the draw of those teams, so i don't think they need to update... but at the same time, they look dated.

I'd say the Cowboys are dated. Mismatched colors, lazy sleeve stripes, etc., don't work in the 21st Century. A couple of changes there can dramatically improve those uniforms.

As a Dallasite, I'll disagree. As I've pointed out in other threads, I love the current Cowboys, the current Mavs, and the current Rangers. The only Metroplex team I can't get behind look-wise, is the Stars. The green, black and gold star prints were great. The current set is an uninspired bore.

newsig.jpg

as a fellow current dallasite, i think the cowboys jerseys are a mismatched mess... the rangers jerseys are okay (though i'd really really prefer if they picked either red or blue. i don't like the identity crisis)... the mavs jerseys are okay, but sorta dated (though i really like the new road jersey's color scheme, even though i'd prefer green in there somewhere).

the stars jerseys are meh. the 4-color thirds/roads are certainly better than the 3 color-homes, though.

4382048.jpg4299323.jpg

Left, classic. Right, should look more like left. :D

BTW, the Cowboys never saw the light of day last year. In looking for an outdoor shot to compare to Craig Morton, I discovered that every game they played outside last year was at night.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Cowboys pic above tells the story. If only the Cowboys could switch to one blue and one silver (I can't stand the whole different silver pants for the home jerseys because of the helmet. We live in the era of HD; those pants need to change).

There was a concept in the other board that pretty much took out sleeves, but added Under Armor type shirts underneath the jersey. The poster then put the stripes on that shirt, and it looked really good. That is what teams should start to do if they don't like sleeves anymore.

I think Reebok is more to blame for the ridiculous-looking sleeve stripes than the teams themselves. When they try to make an adjustment like they did with the 49ers, they often end up making things look worse. Thank goodness Nike is coming back to the NFL.

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

4382048.jpg4299323.jpg

Left, classic. Right, should look more like left. :D

BTW, the Cowboys never saw the light of day last year. In looking for an outdoor shot to compare to Craig Morton, I discovered that every game they played outside last year was at night.

:blink:

The game at the Meadowlands started at 4:15 EST.

Archived