"Classic" vs "Dated" NFL uniforms

Slater

I think a better term is "timeless" vs "dated". classic, to me, just seems traditional, or old. it dosnt mean its well designed.

even though the stripes on the Steelers or Packers and the like dont fit on a modern jersey cut, i still think the uniforms have a timeless design. logos too.

the Vikings, Raiders, and Redskins have logos that are very dated and desperately need to be reworked. thats something the Packers, Colts, Giants, and others dont have to worry about. their logos (and uniforms) will never be out of style

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Reebok is more to blame for the ridiculous-looking sleeve stripes than the teams themselves. When they try to make an adjustment like they did with the 49ers, they often end up making things look worse. Thank goodness Nike is coming back to the NFL.

I don't see how this is any better than Reebok's NFL jerseys as far as handling the stripes goes.

OhioState3.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4382048.jpg4299323.jpg

Left, classic. Right, should look more like left. :D

BTW, the Cowboys never saw the light of day last year. In looking for an outdoor shot to compare to Craig Morton, I discovered that every game they played outside last year was at night.

:blink:

The game at the Meadowlands started at 4:15 EST.

I didn't check game start times, so perhaps it would've been more accurate to say that the pics I could find looked like night games. These are from the Meadowlands. Must have been pretty cloudy. ^_^

4915074.jpg

4915100.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think Reebok is more to blame for the ridiculous-looking sleeve stripes than the teams themselves. When they try to make an adjustment like they did with the 49ers, they often end up making things look worse. Thank goodness Nike is coming back to the NFL.

I don't see how this is any better than Reebok's NFL jerseys as far as handling the stripes goes.

OhioState3.jpg

So what is happening here is that sleeve stripe patters are essentially being turned in to alternate logos, to be worn on a patch. For teams that have a long tradition of stripes and a distinct pattern, I don't really mind that idea, as trying to force full stripes on a template that simply can't support them looks ridiculous at best. Just acknowledge that they aren't true sleeve stripes and everything is fine. I also think that by making the stripe pattern a recognized alt logo, that opens up doors for more merchandising options.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Classic:

wwwbeaumontenterprisecom.jpg

Dated:

nfc-championship-first-half-14--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Side-by-side, the latter looks like a team that wants to look like the former, but is too cheap to go all out to achieve that look. This is all the more frustrating to me since there is a happy medium here:

photo19--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

My hope is that the Nike takeover results in the Packers taking advantage of the pro-combat undersleeves and going with something closer to the original Lombardi-designed look (grey masks and all!)

Dated:

lg_leaf_ap.jpg

As much as I prefer the powder blues, I gotta disagree. These are about as timeless as a football uniform can get. The current navys would've been much more appropriate here.

I hate dark blue for the Chargers in all forms, but if they insist on keeping it, I wouldn't be opposed to a throwback to these as an alternate:

dan-fouts.jpg

The '90s uniforms are really bland, and unfortunately, they conjure up more images of Ryan Leaf and losing than Stan Humphries and the run to the Super Bowl.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I hate dark blue for the Chargers in all forms, but if they insist on keeping it, I wouldn't be opposed to a throwback to these as an alternate:

dan-fouts.jpg

The '90s uniforms are really bland, and unfortunately, they conjure up more images of Ryan Leaf and losing than Stan Humphries and the run to the Super Bowl.

Wow. Someone other than me who likes those uniforms.

BB52Big.jpg

Classic:

wwwbeaumontenterprisecom.jpg

Dated:

nfc-championship-first-half-14--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Side-by-side, the latter looks like a team that wants to look like the former, but is too cheap to go all out to achieve that look. This is all the more frustrating to me since there is a happy medium here:

photo19--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

My hope is that the Nike takeover results in the Packers taking advantage of the pro-combat undersleeves and going with something closer to the original Lombardi-designed look (grey masks and all!)

Probably about the millionth time this has been brought up, but you'll never get all the players (or even a majority of them) to wear the under sleeves, which would result in an even worse problem than everyone having crappy looking stripes; half the players would have stripes and half of them would have bare arms.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Probably about the millionth time this has been brought up, but you'll never get all the players (or even a majority of them) to wear the under sleeves, which would result in an even worse problem than everyone having crappy looking stripes; half the players would have stripes and half of them would have bare arms.

That is so 100% true .... which is why so many teams have moved the jersey numbers to the shoulders from the sleeves in recent years.

2011 is here, and this is going to be the first time in the BILLS 51 year history that their jerseys will have the numbers on shoulders. They've always been a team that wore them on the sleeves, ever since 1960. (except the '65 throwback alternates worn since '05, which originally had them on the sleeves in 1965)

dan-fouts.jpg

Went to some CHARGERS home games during that Air-Coryell era and loved those uniforms. On a sunny day in Southern California that color combination just glowed. They were superb! They wore the white jersey at home alot too.

Then in '88 when they went to the dark midnight blue jersey and facemask it was like they tampered with a masterpiece. The lightning bolts were taken off the pants in favor of striping. I asked my CHARGER buddy if they hired someone to purposely RUIN a nice looking uniform set.

I don't understand the Spanos' ... the majority of all their fans wear the powder blues at the Murph and have pleaded for years to bring them back full-time.

But yes, those would make magnificent alternates if they were to go back to the powder-blues.

I always thought the 90s unis did a much better job of conveying what actual lightning looks like against a dark blue sky. Plus, they used the colors of the US Navy and San Diego is a huge navy town. I also prefer the bolts being applied directly to the shoulders opposied to being on a yoke. But whatever... the Chargers belong in powder blue and thats something most of us can agree on.

IMO, the Raiders uniforms are perfect.

Well of course in a Raiders fan's opinion their uniforms are perfect.

Typical RAIDER fan indeed.

Their away uniform used to have silver numbers and looked fantastic. They made the black outline a little bigger on the throwback worn in 1994 and 2009, supposedly so the number appeared more visible for the TV audience.

I also like the older logo from 1963, but either one works for them.

Their present jerseys, both home & away are a Chinese counterfeiters dream :therock:

I soooo dig that Dallas '60-'63 throwback!

e04010042.jpg09000d5d812a28c2_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81483e4a_gallery_600.jpg

OhioState3.jpg

Did the Steelers and Buccaneers have sex or something???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

OhioState3.jpg

Did the Steelers and Buccaneers have sex or something???

Literally LMAO!

POTD?

Classic:

cowboys-troy-aikman-8x10-color-photo-7-double-star_32e6cfefa6614998969aa6ae88f5b0cc.jpg

aaa-10365.jpg

Dated:

Dallas+Cowboys+v+Washington+Redskins+1eJfcosTUFol.jpg

tony-romo-si.jpg

The '95 double star uniforms were, by far, the ugliest uniforms the Cowboys ever wore. They looked dated by the end of the season, not to mention the reversed out logo on the blue jersey. The white star works when it's a solid star, not so much with the current double outline star.

Archived