"Classic" vs "Dated" NFL uniforms

Slater

That's true, but...the Bears are also pretty smart about how they handle those stripes. They still do three, but the third is on the sleeve cuff itself, and several Bears players, most notably Urlacher & Briggs, actually wear jerseys w/ sleeves tailored to enclose the edges of their shoulder pads, which is about as close to a "sleeve" as we gon' get in the NFL these days. The Steelers on the other hand....eh, let's not get into that.

Quite correct about the 3 stripes ....

In 2007 they wore white for their home opener and Devin Hester really pulled a disappearing job on his sleeves.

75557850CC057_Kansas_City_C_20070916172854_gallery_600.jpg

Last season in 2010, da BEARS jersey sleeves are still cut short with the black at the bottom of the roadies, but perhaps they've since made it a team policy where they don't allow any more shortening of the sleeves, possibly in memorial of Mr. Halas' initials, which have shrunk over the years ard are now only on the left arm-sleeve. Back in the day, 80s with Payton the 'GSH' was quite a large font.

09000d5d81beba81_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81bed027_gallery_600.jpg

This is from their 2010 home opener against the LIONS where there wore white and you can barely make out the 'GSH' on the sleeve, but Chester Taylor or other players from other photos didn't mess with the length of their sleeves.

09000d5d81a76002_gallery_600.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true, but...the Bears are also pretty smart about how they handle those stripes. They still do three, but the third is on the sleeve cuff itself, and several Bears players, most notably Urlacher & Briggs, actually wear jerseys w/ sleeves tailored to enclose the edges of their shoulder pads, which is about as close to a "sleeve" as we gon' get in the NFL these days. The Steelers on the other hand....eh, let's not get into that.

Quite correct about the 3 stripes ....

In 2007 they wore white for their home opener and Devin Hester really pulled a disappearing job on his sleeves.

75557850CC057_Kansas_City_C_20070916172854_gallery_600.jpg

Last season in 2010, da BEARS jersey sleeves are still cut short with the black at the bottom of the roadies, but perhaps they've since made it a team policy where they don't allow any more shortening of the sleeves, possibly in memorial of Mr. Halas' initials, which have shrunk over the years ard are now only on the left arm-sleeve. Back in the day, 80s with Payton the 'GSH' was quite a large font.

09000d5d81beba81_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81bed027_gallery_600.jpg

This is from their 2010 home opener against the LIONS where there wore white and you can barely make out the 'GSH' on the sleeve, but Chester Taylor or other players from other photos didn't mess with the length of their sleeves.

09000d5d81a76002_gallery_600.jpg

That would be dark blue, not black. Also, the Bears would be fine if they would just move the TV numerals up to the top of the shoulder pads. at this point you can't have both numerals and stripes on your sleeve. you can have stripes on your sleeve, but your numerals need to go on your shoulder then. Likewise, if you only have numerals, you can place them either on the sleeve or the shoulders, but you can't have both stripes and numerals on your sleeve anymore. There's just not enough room.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4382048.jpg4299323.jpg

Left, classic. Right, should look more like left. :D

BTW, the Cowboys never saw the light of day last year. In looking for an outdoor shot to compare to Craig Morton, I discovered that every game they played outside last year was at night.

:blink:

The game at the Meadowlands started at 4:15 EST.

I didn't check game start times, so perhaps it would've been more accurate to say that the pics I could find looked like night games. These are from the Meadowlands. Must have been pretty cloudy. ^_^

4915074.jpg

4915100.jpg

If the game was in November/December, It's getting dark around 4:00 anyways

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That would be dark blue, not black. Also, the Bears would be fine if they would just move the TV numerals up to the top of the shoulder pads. at this point you can't have both numerals and stripes on your sleeve. you can have stripes on your sleeve, but your numerals need to go on your shoulder then. Likewise, if you only have numerals, you can place them either on the sleeve or the shoulders, but you can't have both stripes and numerals on your sleeve anymore. There's just not enough room.

Whoops! You're right, the BEARS wear that midnight blue color ... My typo error.

The Bears would be fine if they would just move the TV numerals up to the top of the shoulder pads. at this point you can't have both numerals and stripes on your sleeve. you can have stripes on your sleeve, but your numerals need to go on your shoulder then. Likewise, if you only have numerals, you can place them either on the sleeve or the shoulders, but you can't have both stripes and numerals on your sleeve anymore. There's just not enough room.

I disagree. Its true, the Bears' sleeves are really crowded, but I appreciate them being the last team to hold the line on the traditional numbers-and-stripes-on-the-sleeve look (unless you count the Chiefs... I don't because the end-of-sleeve band is not the same as a full sleeve stripe IMO). Moving the numbers up to the shoulder is not a small thing. It really does change the look significantly. To me, shoulder numbers say "modern" and sleeve numbers say "traditional". Look at old vs. new pictures of the Browns, Packers, or Giants. Look at pictures of the Vikings from the 70's and compare it to last year's throwbacks. Moving those numbers up would make a HUGE change in the overall feel of the Bears' uni. I'd rather see the stripes dropped than the numbers moved.

The Bears would be fine if they would just move the TV numerals up to the top of the shoulder pads. at this point you can't have both numerals and stripes on your sleeve. you can have stripes on your sleeve, but your numerals need to go on your shoulder then. Likewise, if you only have numerals, you can place them either on the sleeve or the shoulders, but you can't have both stripes and numerals on your sleeve anymore. There's just not enough room.

I disagree. Its true, the Bears' sleeves are really crowded, but I appreciate them being the last team to hold the line on the traditional numbers-and-stripes-on-the-sleeve look (unless you count the Chiefs... I don't because the end-of-sleeve band is not the same as a full sleeve stripe IMO). Moving the numbers up to the shoulder is not a small thing. It really does change the look significantly. To me, shoulder numbers say "modern" and sleeve numbers say "traditional". Look at old vs. new pictures of the Browns, Packers, or Giants. Look at pictures of the Vikings from the 70's and compare it to last year's throwbacks. Moving those numbers up would make a HUGE change in the overall feel of the Bears' uni. I'd rather see the stripes dropped than the numbers moved.

There's no question that shoulder numbers make a uniform look completely different, but functionality is the issue here, not aesthetics. Traditional only works if it's still functional (see the Packers' 1929 throwbacks from last season). The other point to be made is that, sure, you see a Bears uniform with sleeve numbers next to one with shoulder numbers, it looks like a drastic change, but once the switch is made, it's something that is quite subtle. The Browns don't look modern at all, but they definitely use shoulder numbers. When you see a current Browns uniform next to an old one, you get the feeling, but on it's own, the current Browns uni looks as traditional as ever. Ohio State has used shoulder numbers for decades and has never looked very modern.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one with the GIANTS and their rare 1975 logo with blue road pants at RFK from the season they played their home games at Shea Stadium.

I saw those when they played the BILLS at Rich Stadium on MNF that season, that game remains a bit of a blur. :grin:

diron-talbert-craig-morton-01155159.jpg

Like this? 1975-nfl-mnf-dvd-giants-vs-bills-aaa-classic-sports-215e6.jpg

This is one of those questions that probably has no clear answer and, indeed, is "in the eye of the beholder", but where does one draw the line between "classic" and "dated" looks when it comes to NFL unis? Teams such as the Bears, Packers, Raiders would probably fall in that category. I tend to see it as the classic look while I've heard others remark that they need to bring their unis into the 21st century. Then again, I'll be 51 in a couple weeks so maybe it's an age thing :D

I believe that the more traditional teams need a new look:

Browns

Chiefs

Raiders

Packers

Colts

I dont think the Browns or Packers (or Raiders for that matter) would ever do a complete overhaul. Maybe a tweak here or there, as we have seen, but the fans in these cities are totally in love with thier teams look and they (we, me being a Browns fan) really dont care of others dont care for it. We love it and our team knows we love it and its been enough to get the current "classic" unis to this point, Im sure there is no turning back now.

Here's one with the GIANTS and their rare 1975 logo with blue road pants at RFK from the season they played their home games at Shea Stadium.

I saw those when they played the BILLS at Rich Stadium on MNF that season, that game remains a bit of a blur. :grin:

diron-talbert-craig-morton-01155159.jpg

Like this? 1975-nfl-mnf-dvd-giants-vs-bills-aaa-classic-sports-215e6.jpg

LOL, scrimmage.

I think the Raiders need to have these:

97a68f61d9ee4bdf00cd87d12b43944b-getty-_medium.jpg

as their away uniforms then they'll have the best look in the NFL. It'd be classic and they'd never need to change it.

Classic:

gal_uniforms-15.jpg

77331521_display_image.jpg?1292458567

packersx-large.jpg

emmittsmithjersey.jpg

fb_AAHP067_8x10.jpg

Dated:

gints-1-1.jpg

I hate the Giants, but they need to get rid of the Grey pants for the home set and change them to white, then they'll have a great looking set.

dnabb1.jpg

I hate the 'Iggles, but they have a great helmet. However, I hate the rest of the uniform.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

[a bunch of pictures]

Now to me, I find the Cowboys' mismatching blues to date their look.

On the other hand, I find the Giants' look timeless BECAUSE of their gray pants. I hate gray facemasks in most situations, but the gray pants help to justify what would otherwise be a gross misuse of a gray facemask.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Classic: Packers, Bears, Giants, 49ers(if they fix the sleeve stripes), Steelers, Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Buccs,

Saints

Dated: Jets, Colts (Both for the ridiculous half-shoulder stripe issues), Cowboys (color mismatch), Chiefs

New but good: Bills new-retro, Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks (if they stop unitarding and mix up the pants/jerseys)

Dolphins, Patriots (could be better, but it is at least solid), Eagles, Panthers, Texans, Ravens,

Lions, Falcons

New and bad: Vikings, Bengals, Chargers (so close, but some major issues remain), Rams (need to do a retro with

the sleeves and go back to gold pants), Jaguars (any of their prior unis is better than the present

ones), Titans (more of a lame logo issue than the uniforms, but I will put it here just for the

use of a light blue jersey and dark blue pants.)

Some teams need total overhauls (Vikings, Bengals), some need minor tweaks (Chargers, Cowboys, Chiefs), some just need to wear the right combination of pants & jerseys (Seahawks, Titans).

Giants in white pants would suck. The gray pants are what makes the uniform interesting. That, and the switch to red elements on the road. People want to take away the only things that make the uniform worth looking at.

Sometimes consistancy makes a uniform come together well, but consistancy for it's own sake does nothing for me.

I definitely prefer what the Jets currently wear to what you put for what you'd wish they go with. I actually think the Jets uniforms aren't too far from reaching that untouchables category. I doubt they change them for many many years.

Overall though, I agree with 90% of JohnnySeoul's assessment.

90758391980.gif

The dark red 9er uniform? Really?

Thats what I was thinking as well. I have always hated those unis and always will.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived