Brewers "Cerveceros" Jersey

kbaker19

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I suspect as well. But I honestly doubt they're selling that much of the current merch to begin with and they could always shift the focus of their throwback gear from the BiG to Barrel Man.

They are selling A LOT of the current merch. Most of the jerseys of the current players you see the fans wearing are the current version.

Those who are still stuck living in the past and longing for the days of Yount and Molitor shouldn't be rewarded. The players like having their own identity (which is why they have drastically reduced how often the BiG uniforms are used). It's embarassing how much the older Brewers fans here can't seem to forget about a team that had one decent year (when they LOST the Series by the way).

Not to pile on people from Milwaukee who like the retro stuff, but I have to agree with the sentiment of not rewarding people for being stuck in the past. It happens here in Houston WAY TOO MUCH. There is a strong sentiment that the Texans should be listening to the Luv Ya Blue era Oilers on coaching & personnel moves (like the hiring of Bum Phillips). Why? What the hell did that team ever win?! They couldn't even GET to the Super Bowl.

Back to Milwaukee, there is nothing inherently wrong with their current identity, but considering how all-over-the-place they've been stylistically since they scrapped the BiG, they either need to commit to the current set and go forward or just go back to BiG. Like Toronto either needs to keep the current set (which they aren't) or blow it out in favor of the original stuff.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Living in Wisconsin, the retro stuff sells just as much if not more than the current stuff, but noone hates the current stuff at all. I think it's just the fact that the crew have 2 of the coolest and most original logos I've seen, trying not to be biased

Living in Wisconsin, the retro stuff sells just as much if not more than the current stuff, but noone hates the current stuff at all. I think it's just the fact that the crew have 2 of the coolest and most original logos I've seen, trying not to be biased

No, you're right. The current Brewers' set is great (colors and all). I think that's why I'm so indifferent about the idea of them going retro - as their current look is great, there's no need for them to seriously consider going retro.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Well, I wouldn't say "great", given all the problems with the wordmark we've discussed.

Milwaukee fans sure seem ambivalent. If the new set was terrible, they'd stop buying it. If it was great, the club wouldn't have to bother with the throwbacks. But it's in the middle, so you have enough interest to sustain it but not enough to make it the true primary.

If they absolutely must keep the current set, a few tweaks are in order:

NewBrewersRoadJersey.png

Well, I wouldn't say "great", given all the problems with the wordmark we've discussed.

What "problems"? The half-tail? I don't consider that to be a "problem." It's just the way they made it. Looks fine to me, if anything, give them originality points.

Something about their current identity says "Brewer" to me more than the BiG identity. I always thought the BiG was more of a coincidental "Hey, look, we can make the letters 'm' and 'b' in the shape of a glove! Let's do it!" type of thing than an actual thought out logo that really gelled with the identity of a team called "Brewers."

Anyway, everything here is just opinion anyway. We can agree to disagree.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

That's what I suspect as well. But I honestly doubt they're selling that much of the current merch to begin with and they could always shift the focus of their throwback gear from the BiG to Barrel Man.

They are selling A LOT of the current merch. Most of the jerseys of the current players you see the fans wearing are the current version.

Those who are still stuck living in the past and longing for the days of Yount and Molitor shouldn't be rewarded. The players like having their own identity (which is why they have drastically reduced how often the BiG uniforms are used). It's embarassing how much the older Brewers fans here can't seem to forget about a team that had one decent year (when they LOST the Series by the way).

The fans aren't pouring in with Molitor and Yount jerseys. They're wearing retro Braun, Fielder, Weeks, and Hart uniforms. Fans wear them because it's cool, not because of what the team has done with the jerseys in the past. As you can see from many leagues: retro is in. The Jazz, 76ers, Capitals have all switched back to old styles, and this wasn't from their fans 'living in the past'.

And no need to jab at the '82 Brewers. They were one of the greatest offensive teams in the 80's, and probably would've walked off as World Series champions if Rollie Fingers hadn't been injured.

This. I live in Wisconsin and I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw a Yount or Molitor jersey. The fans simply prefer the old logo and colors, period. Anyone who thinks it has anything to do with going back to 1982 just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Besides, there's no rule saying that if they brought back the old logo and colors that they'd have too bring back the old unis en masse. They could do something like.... ooooh, I dunno :D

With my theory not changing the color because of the stadium, I also forgot to add the close integration with the Brewers and Miller. While Miller uses many shades of gold, I think the shade of gold they have now is a good representation of a beer that doesn't look like piss. I'm not saying I would agree that it couldn't be changed to make it look acceptable, but I do have a feeling it's somewhat of a factor. The Brewers changed from their green/blue/gold/weirdness to the current gold/blue look when Miller Park was scheduled to launch (crane accident pushed it back a season, so Brewers played with the new set in County Stadium). I believe the new brand was done with Miller in mind. The cursive script matches the classic 'Miller' logo, especially when you take just the 'M' from their cap. The new cap 'M' would remind fans of 'Miller'. It's a good set, and it matches the conception of 'beer'.

5587279062_b6635f0700.jpg

Keep in mind at the transition, there was no outcry to switch back to the mit and ball logo. During the early 90's, I'm not even sure if there was not much opposition to the change (the team stunk anyways). Think about when retro caps started gaining popularity. When the retro brewers caps started getting popular, the team began selling their old brand again. They fully adopted this in 2006 with new ownership and introduced 'retro night'. There's nothing inherently wrong with either style, so I would be surprised if they changed anything, especially their colors. Again, I think the current set works well with Miller Park and comes off as classy. I'm not saying it's a legitimate reason whether or not to switch, but it's something to keep in mind. They could a strategy similar to the Packers, where the gold is ditched for a metallic gold in digital media, signage, etc.

Someone else pointed out the Brewers doing this from a marketing standpoint to sell both jerseys. I would contend that the Brewers marketing team is completely clueless and incapable of pulling off a good marketing idea. These are the people that planned the idiotic Bernie lawn gnome debacle. These are the same people who give away bobble-heads on nights that are capable of selling out without a promotion, while not doing anything on a tuesday/wednesday night game that already gets lower attendance. These are the people who thought it would be a good idea to put dollar hot-dog day on the obvious sell out the Saturday before Easter.

The cursive script matches the classic 'Miller' logo

No, it doesn't. Suggestive of, perhaps, but not matching any more than every script logo "matches" the Miller logo.

Miller has since changed its logo to add a slight curve (not reflected in the Miller Park signage), but even with that it doesn't match the Brewers' wordmarks.

Frankly, I wish they did just use the Miller script. It would have created a much better set.

Okay I guess I have to eat some crow here. I was all against the 2002 gold Milwaukee All-Star jerseys, but after seeing the Cerveseros jerseys I changed my mind :)

I don't care if the gold trim doesn't really match, I thought that yellow/gold worked pretty well with the blue names and numbers.

I'd like to see the current blue home alternates get replaced by the yellow ones. It looks good with the white pants. Put "Milwaukee" script on the road grays, keep the already excellent blue road alternates.

Retro uniforms will always be in style, but I think what is considered retro varies by what time we are in. 2001-2010 "retro" was the 80s. Which is why I think the Brewer's uniforms and colors are so popular right now and the last few years (and they are great uniforms). But I'm beginning to see a shirt at the ballpark this year. The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back! 2011-2020 will have the 90s decade be retro. I think we will be seeing this trend in the coming years across all sports.

Brewers should just do this...

EwhJ1.gif

Someone on here made this about 4 years ago, I think it was Gothamite.

I had drawn up something where I took the current script, put it on the throwback/alternate jersey, then made the jersey's stripes navy. Then it sort of looked like a mix of 1982, 1992, and 2002. I have no idea what I did with that though.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back!

Okay, speaking as somebody who thinks 96-99 was just about the best look the Brewers ever had, I don't think those were ever "hated", to say nothing of "much hated." They just weren't the classic look.

In the last year, the Brewers have realized that they can sell them. That's why you're seeing more and more of them - instead of relying on a dwindling pool of eBay stock, they're now available again.

The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back!

Okay, speaking as somebody who thinks 96-99 was just about the best look the Brewers ever had, I don't think those were ever "hated", to say nothing of "much hated." They just weren't the classic look.

In the last year, the Brewers have realized that they can sell them. That's why you're seeing more and more of them - instead of relying on a dwindling pool of eBay stock, they're now available again.

It might have been me you saw. I tend to rotate my jerseys each game. 1993 Robin Yount home, 1998 road Milwaukee MB style, 1994 navy blue MB style alternate, or a current jersey t-shirt with Ryan Braun on it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

They sell the "MB" hats now at the Miller Park store, and a few assorted MB logo trinkets, but that's about it. No sign of the '97-'99 "M" hats - thankfully, eBay was able to come through on that one.

Take the '97-'99 uniforms, replace the "MB" diamond on the sleeve with the Wisconsin "M" and barley-ball, and there's your winner. Take out the green if you want, even, it'd still be fantastic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Take the '97-'99 uniforms, replace the "MB" diamond on the sleeve with the Wisconsin "M" and barley-ball, and there's your winner. Take out the green if you want, even, it'd still be fantastic.

Funny, I wrote to them in 1998 and suggested exactly that.

hmxi68n2tptcr9xj5nefx1o11.gif

I didn't suggest removing the green, although that would have made it perfect. And nowadays, I would have recommended the Barrel Man as well.

The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back! 2011-2020 will have the 90s decade be retro. I think we will be seeing this trend in the coming years across all sports.

Other than the assorted John Jaha and Fernando Vina 90's unis, I fail to see that style as a legitimate comeback. I couldn't find any of the 90's logo or jerseys on the Brewers store, and I have never seen them in-store at the ballpark.

And I do think that look was resented by many fans who look back on it now. When you walk into Lidz store in Wisconsin you see 100 mit and ball hats, and occasionally the 90's logo.

Archived