Calgary Stampeders go BFBS on the road in 2011

Mac the Knife

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will take some getting used to that is for sure. Poorly excuted, if it had a white stripe in the middle or a red outline around the horse, it might look okay.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Calgary always have had a red and WHITE colour scheme up until the last decade, so whoever said, they always have had black should check your facts

personally think these are going to look wierd, but i wont judge them until i see them in action, June 24th should be the debut in their 2nd pre-season game

The last decade? LOL... You're the one who should check your facts. The Stampeders have used black since at least the early 80's and possibly before that.

Here's a 1985 pic; That's the look I remember from the 80's. You can't see it here, but the roads had solid black lettering on the NOBs as well...

Ron-Hopkins-Calgary-Stampeders-1985-4.jpg

As for the black helmet, it kind of fits with the uniforms given how ugly those things are (Heh). Some red on the helmet would help, either as a stripe or an outline on the logo.

Calgary always have had a red and WHITE colour scheme up until the last decade, so whoever said, they always have had black should check your facts

personally think these are going to look wierd, but i wont judge them until i see them in action, June 24th should be the debut in their 2nd pre-season game

The last decade? LOL... You're the one who should check your facts. The Stampeders have used black since at least the early 80's and possibly before that.

Here's a 1985 pic; That's the look I remember from the 80's. You can't see it here, but the roads had solid black lettering on the NOBs as well...

As for the black helmet, it kind of fits with the uniforms given how ugly those things are (Heh). Some red on the helmet would help, either as a stripe or an outline on the logo.

These unis look great--they should go back to them...

The black helmets, bibs and pyjama pants just don't work.

As for Black--the Stamps had a black alt in the 90's, and black in their uni before that.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The unis in this video from 71, look much better.

Here they are last season in 70's throwbacks--and although they were awful for most of the 70's (72-78)

(Sorry Eskimo fans)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have to say, the red yolk ruins the uniform. The black helmet and pants actually, to my surprise, looked great. But the Jersey is awful.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Agreed...horrible road look for the Stampeders, and getting worse each year.

Not to mention, this ridiculous secondary logo on the sleeves. http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=6804

Looks like my highschool team logo...which was probably drawn by a 14 year old in art class.

I don't mind that secondary--but when they put it on the helmet that one game, it looked awful

Fortunately they lost and they haven't used it since.

As near as I've been able to tell, Calgary's second color has changed several times. The 60's throwbacks appeared to be red and some shade of gold. The late 70's and 80's, silver was more prominent than black. I'm not sure if in fact black was just included for trim and wasn't even an official team color at the time. I always liked the 80's look with Silver. IMO, Calgary has the worst look in the CFL. It's not even close, even considering the ultra-busy Alouettes' designs.

As near as I've been able to tell, Calgary's second color has changed several times. The 60's throwbacks appeared to be red and some shade of gold. The late 70's and 80's, silver was more prominent than black. I'm not sure if in fact black was just included for trim and wasn't even an official team color at the time. I always liked the 80's look with Silver. IMO, Calgary has the worst look in the CFL. It's not even close, even considering the ultra-busy Alouettes' designs.

Well the RBK redesign ruined looked worse for every team, although some have made changes since then.

I'd like to see the Stamps go back to pre RBK days--dump the black pyjama pants, and helmets.

I like the helmet better without the stripe--but I don't mind the stripe.

I like the grey pants they wore last season for the throwbacks as well.

Well the RBK redesign ruined looked worse for every team, although some have made changes since then.

I'd like to see the Stamps go back to pre RBK days--dump the black pyjama pants, and helmets.

I like the helmet better without the stripe--but I don't mind the stripe.

I like the grey pants they wore last season for the throwbacks as well.

Here's what I would like to ask either RBK or SSK: Ok, you decided to go with the short "S" logo on the helmet instead of the wraparound. Understandable, since that makes the brand consistent. But at the same time, your changed the number font from matching B.C.'s (varsity block, basically) to matching Winnipeg's (the most obvious difference is the 2's). Now SSK and WPG have pretty much the same jersey design except for the colors and that WPG doesn't have the thin stripe on the front of the shoulders. And they're each other's biggest rival.

Compare the primaries...

Saskatchewan:

CFL_SSK_Jersey.png

Winnipeg:

CFL_WPG_Jersey_2010.png

WHY? :blink: This would be as if Nike decided to switch Ohio State to a look that includes a winged helmet.

Here's what I would like to ask either RBK or SSK: Ok, you decided to go with the short "S" logo on the helmet instead of the wraparound. Understandable, since that makes the brand consistent. But at the same time, your changed the number font from matching B.C.'s (varsity block, basically) to matching Winnipeg's (the most obvious difference is the 2's). Now SSK and WPG have pretty much the same jersey design except for the colors and that WPG doesn't have the thin stripe on the front of the shoulders. And they're each other's biggest rival.

Compare the primaries...

Saskatchewan:

CFL_SSK_Jersey.png

Winnipeg:

CFL_WPG_Jersey_2010.png

WHY? :blink: This would be as if Nike decided to switch Ohio State to a look that includes a winged helmet.

I believe that was much discussed when the uni designs were introduced.

Hoprfully the Bombers keep using that older look I love so much...

I actually have a game worn jersey from 1983 that shows the black NOB:

DSCI0374.jpg

Funny story about the jersey: my grandfather actually worked as a referee in the CFL, and the Stamps were about to throw out their old jerseys at the end of the season. He asked to take a few home, and gave one to my dad. Turns out this one was Richie Hall's, the former coach of the Edmonton Eskimos (and current DC of the Roughriders).

As for the black helmets though, I really don't see why they wanted them (their red helmets are much better). I don't think anyone would complain if they went back to these uniforms, or even simplified versions of what they're currently wearing.

• 1 month later...

Stamps have broken out the black alt jerseys with the black helmets, black pants and red socks for the Labour Day game vs. Edmonton today. A bit jarring to eye. The red socks seem kinda tacked on. If you get a closeup shot of a Stamps player in the sun, though, you can really see the red flakes in the helmet paint well.

Stamps have broken out the black alt jerseys with the black helmets, black pants and red socks for the Labour Day game vs. Edmonton today. A bit jarring to eye. The red socks seem kinda tacked on. If you get a closeup shot of a Stamps player in the sun, though, you can really see the red flakes in the helmet paint well.

Everything about the Stamps uniforms are awful. The only thing that looks good is the red helmet, and they're using it less and less. Go figure.

Archived