MLB Realignment

TBGKon

If they go 15/15, I say leave divisions of 5 and swap Colorado to the AL west. They help bridge Texas to the rest of the division and being a little further north, kind of balance out with Seattle as well. I guess Houston to the NL West. Leaving Arizona there works because most of the teams are more south than in their AL counterpart.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the points about not letting tradition alone dictate what is done in the present. But I also believe you preserve tradition when it's no problem to go another direction that doesn't disrupt it. The Astros franchise has close to five decades of history in the NL and (as someone pointed out earlier) it really does nothing to help the Rangers, especially when they'll end up travelling even further for interleague games. Colorado came into existence after the differences between the leagues had been eroded down to "which one uses the DH?" and you'll offend far fewer of their fans (if any at all) by not sending their pitches to the plate.

They should just move Milwaukee back into the AL where they belong, instead of Houston who has more historic rivals in the Central and has never had any history in the other league, unlike Milwaukee who won their first and only pennant in the AL.

Not to mention, they should just stop it with expanding the playoffs. It's an 162-game season they play, and the last thing they need to do is remove even more value to an already inflated schedule by having a larger playoff field. Soon, winning the wild card won't mean anything either.

Put Milwaukee back in the AL Central. Then have 32 Team MLB- Montreal in the NL east, Charlotte, Portland, or Nashville in the AL Central- for geographic parity. Four Divisions per league, four teams per division.

THe top two teams per division make the play offs (Division, Wildcard repsectively) Then like the NBA and NHL, the playoffs are: First Round 1 play 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and so forth (Best 2 out of 3). Winners from First round play in the second round (Best 3 out of 5). The third round is the LCS, followed by THe World Series, which are both bset 4 out of 7.

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

They should just move Milwaukee back into the AL where they belong, instead of Houston who has more historic rivals in the Central and has never had any history in the other league, unlike Milwaukee who won their first and only pennant in the AL.

Not to mention, they should just stop it with expanding the playoffs. It's an 162-game season they play, and the last thing they need to do is remove even more value to an already inflated schedule by having a larger playoff field. Soon, winning the wild card won't mean anything either.

Put Milwaukee back in the AL Central. Then have 32 Team MLB- Montreal in the NL east, Charlotte, Portland, or Nashville in the AL Central- for geographic parity. Four Divisions per league, four teams per division.

THe top two teams per division make the play offs (Division, Wildcard repsectively) Then like the NBA and NHL, the playoffs are: First Round 1 play 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6 and so forth (Best 2 out of 3). Winners from First round play in the second round (Best 3 out of 5). The third round is the LCS, followed by THe World Series, which are both bset 4 out of 7.

Can't believe I'm saying this but stick to posting YouTube videos.

The one thing I love about the proposals is it gives the Wild Card a disadvantage. I've always felt a team that has 2 strong pitchers and nothing else has it way to easy in the first round. With a 5 game series that team can easily win with 2 strong performances from their 1-2 pitchers.

What I hate about these proposals is that it makes 3 teams sit at home waiting for a 3 game series to be completed. Which will most likely be at least 4 days but probably 5 days plus another travel day. So what's your reward for fiinishing at the top of the league? Sitting around for a week. Ask most of the teams that sweep in the Championship round to face a team that went 6 or 7 games on the other side how that works out...

If they expand to 10 teams, I'd love to see a single wild card playin game where they pull out all the stops to get in. Then expand the divisional to 7 game series.

If they don't, expand the divisional to a 7 game series.

The one thing I love about the proposals is it gives the Wild Card a disadvantage. I've always felt a team that has 2 strong pitchers and nothing else has it way to easy in the first round. With a 5 game series that team can easily win with 2 strong performances from their 1-2 pitchers.

What I hate about these proposals is that it makes 3 teams sit at home waiting for a 3 game series to be completed. Which will most likely be at least 4 days but probably 5 days plus another travel day. So what's your reward for fiinishing at the top of the league? Sitting around for a week. Ask most of the teams that sweep in the Championship round to face a team that went 6 or 7 games on the other side how that works out...

If they expand to 10 teams, I'd love to see a single wild card playin game where they pull out all the stops to get in. Then expand the divisional to 7 game series.

That's why I kind of want the Wild Card "round" to be a single game. Alternatively, best of 3, but game 1 is played at the lower seed and two and three are a doubleheader at the higher seed. With only 1 travel day in between.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's why I kind of want the Wild Card "round" to be a single game. Alternatively, best of 3, but game 1 is played at the lower seed and two and three are a doubleheader at the higher seed. With only 1 travel day in between.

I love the idea, a doubleheader would add so much to a series.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

No offense and I know you were just showing a very radical realignment plan amidst the current discussion, but that is the stupidest idea I have ever heard. This is America, not Europe.

You must be young yet. Trust me, you will hear far dumber ideas in your lifetime unless you're hit by a bus in the near future. :D

The second sentence I've quoted is precisely the only real reason it couldn't be done: that it's somehow "UnAmerican." And to that I contend that it a concept that's nothing but American, and one which oddly enough the Europeans have but we do not.

America has had a centuries-old love affair with competition. We compete for virtually everything in our society. Yet in professional sports, we don't reward excellence or truly punish failure in that competition. A comprehensive system of promotion and relegation does precisely that.

You run the Pittsburgh Pirates into the ground, producing a lousy on-field product, while in Durham the Bulls are excelling on the field? Why the hell shouldn't it be in the best interests of the sport, of the competition, to reward Durham by allowing them to perform at the Major League level and to punish Pittsburgh by lowering them to the AAA level?

The franchise system we have will never allow this of course, but I have become an unquestioned believer in the European system of promotion and relegation. They got it right, and we, sadly and despite our ever-growing competitive nature, got it wrong.

nav-logo.png

I love ya Mac, but this is beyond absurd. For one thing, you'd have teams playing in minor league facilities competing in the major leagues. For another thing, how on earh could a parent club be beneath it's affiliate (so if the Royals got relegated, would the minor league front office have final say over call ups and options etc.?) For a third thing, the minor league team would "cherry pick" the entire major league roster... because, well, if the minor-league players were major-league ready, they'd have been on said roster.

The only way a relegation thing would work (and really, it wouldn't no matter what) would be for there to be a "minor" major league, where the teams were still "parent" clubs with their own affiliate system.

As I noted above, the promotion/relegation system isn't as absurd as you might think. But it would require the elimination of the ties which currently exist between Major League Baseball and the minors. Those ties and the ingrained system that comes with it are a product of the past 60, 70 years, but it wasn't always the way it is today.

Minor league teams regularly sold players to the Major League clubs, operating completely independently. It's only after the minors over-expanded and allowed themselves to become financially dependent on their Major League brethren that the current affiliation system took hold. With promotion/relegation, that system could be eliminated, returning the minor leagues to what they once were: independent, self-sufficient clubs.

nav-logo.png

The Seattle Seahawks have switched conferences twice and it didn't seem to hurt their fanbase or rivalries.

True, but the Seahawks have only been around for 35 years (as opposed to, for example, the Astros, who've been around for 50, or the Twins, whose history is now 111 years in total). Baseball's too steeped in tradition - and markets too much around its tradition - to monkey too much with a radical realignment between leagues.

Divisions are another thing though. They're flexible. The Brewers move from the AL to NL never happens if the Braves hadn't been in Milwaukee before them.

nav-logo.png

Or, in the case of the Astros, 2005, even? The Brewers were really the only team that could pull off the league switch, their 1982 pennant notwithstanding, because Milwaukee was a National League town first and best. We shouldn't monkey around with anybody else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Seattle Seahawks have switched conferences twice and it didn't seem to hurt their fanbase or rivalries.

True, but the Seahawks have only been around for 35 years (as opposed to, for example, the Astros, who've been around for 50, or the Twins, whose history is now 111 years in total). Baseball's too steeped in tradition - and markets too much around its tradition - to monkey too much with a radical realignment between leagues.

Divisions are another thing though. They're flexible. The Brewers move from the AL to NL never happens if the Braves hadn't been in Milwaukee before them.

Yet you're okay with sending tradition rich teams down to AAA?

PvO6ZWJ.png

What I hate about these proposals is that it makes 3 teams sit at home waiting for a 3 game series to be completed. Which will most likely be at least 4 days but probably 5 days plus another travel day. So what's your reward for finishing at the top of the league? Sitting around for a week. Ask most of the teams that sweep in the Championship round to face a team that went 6 or 7 games on the other side how that works out...

I like this idea. It's quickly done, it seems effective (bridging the regular season with the 7-game series from there on in), and the doubleheader really makes things intense. From a fan's perspective, said doubleheader could become an entire day at the park.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Yet you're okay with sending tradition rich teams down to AAA?

As a matter of fact, I am. If you're going to blow things up, REALLY blow them up. Don't tinker.

nav-logo.png

Or, in the case of the Astros, 2005, even? The Brewers were really the only team that could pull off the league switch, their 1982 pennant notwithstanding, because Milwaukee was a National League town first and best. We shouldn't monkey around with anybody else.

Precisely! I have no qualms if Milwaukee reverts back to the AL.

Precisely! I have no qualms if Milwaukee reverts back to the AL.

He's saying Milwaukee should NOT go back to the AL.

And Mac, by your plan, they have to choose between having a farm system, something revolutionary in sports designed by Branch Rickey to develop a teams players, or a relegation system from Europe, where if you have a bad year, your screwed. It can't work and won't work here. Not in baseball at least. Soccer would be the only one because the MLS is still fairly new and not as engrained in the fabric of US sports leagues. It can model itself after it's European counterpart. Still even then MLS has a way to go before it's able to even do it.

Give it up man. It's a dream. Not even one you can buy for a $1.

Promotion/relegation is infrastructurally impossible. Minor-league parks aren't built for major-league crowds.

Besides, as practiced in English soccer, you have about four teams that contend for a championship, a handful of teams that are there to fill out a schedule, and a revolving underclass of promoted and relegated teams. Even when a team does make it up, they're so far behind the 8-ball, economically and operationally, that all they really do is tread water or go right back down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think McCall is on to something, let us scrap the Farm System or at least make them eligable for the draft the next year, so only draft what you think could work for you in the MLB and make the Farm teams have their own draft from the scraps. But to make that work, we would have to shorten the draft to a number I a currently calculating

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

The European sports landscape in regards to soccer is completely different from the American landscape.

Everybody argues the "how could you have a major leagues without minor leagues?" Well, in Europe, each team has their own reserve teams and their own academy, which are essentially a minor league system. However, the reason this wouldn't work is from the simple standpoint that if you're a top high school-age kid, you're playing in a top club's academy, not for your high school. The set-up of developing players, while similar, is completely different as well in nature.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived