International Fútbol Tournaments and World Cup Qualification

AnythingChicago

Has anyone else been following the Gold Cup? I've been watching all of the USA games on Fox Soccer, and since no American station covers the non-USA group stage games, I've actually been watching some of the other games on Gala, a Mexican channel.

Anyways, I'm surprised that Costa Rica couldn't even put up a fight against Mexico. 4-0 at the half? Wow. And despite talk that they would not underestimate Panama, the USA still lacked intensity in the 2-1 loss to Panama. They had so many chances in the last 10 minutes to get the equalizer, though. It was disappointing to watch. Unfortunately, it seems that Mexico is going to sweep through the tournament...

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guatemala is beating Grenada 2-0 at the half. Grenada is unlikely to move on, but Guatemala can move on if they win by 3 or more or score over 6 goals. If they fail to do this, El Salvador will qualify, but Guatemala will still have a slim chance to qualify also, depending on results from Group C.

25yzwqg.png

Guatemala is beating Grenada 2-0 at the half. Grenada is unlikely to move on, but Guatemala can move on if they win by 3 or more or score over 6 goals. If they fail to do this, El Salvador will qualify, but Guatemala will still have a slim chance to qualify also, depending on results from Group C.

Grenada only has 1 decent player and he opted out of International duty.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Grenada only has 1 decent player and he opted out of

International duty.

And it shows. They lost 7-1 to Honduras and are down 4-0 to a offensively short Guatemala team...

25yzwqg.png

I am not paying attention to the group stage. US has it in the bag. But I will follow the knockout stage because that it when games get competitive. :flagusa:

Well, they did lose their first Gold Cup group stage match ever the other day against Panama. So they will probably be second in Group C. But nonetheless, go USA! :flagusa:

25yzwqg.png

Jamaica leads Honduras 1-0 at the half in the battle for Group B. The only goal was an own goal by the Honduran goalie, although Jamaica set up a beautiful shot that hit the top crossbar, bounced back off the goalie, and landed safely in the net.

25yzwqg.png

The group stage has been unwatchable. Hasn't been an entertaining Gold Cup so far. Maybe it'll get better in the knockout rounds.

Speaking of getting better in the knockout rounds...I swear, if the US doesn't go deep, heads should roll. Hell, they may already roll after the Panama flop.

Jamaica won Group B and will play at RFK on Saturday, possibly against the USA.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Let's see. The USA loses a group stage home match in a competitive tournament for the first time since 2001 (!), and yet can still win the group.

Start with El Salvador, because they do not have a game to play. El Salvador qualifies if Panama beats or draws Canada; OR if Guadeloupe beats the USA. Should they qualify, they'll play the winner of Group C; Group C's second best team will play Jamaica; should Group C's third place team qualify, they'll play Mexico. Guatemala will play Mexico if El Salvador qualifies and the winner of Group C if they don't.

Panama wins the group by beating or drawing Canada. Simple as that. They would finish in second if they lost to Canada and USA didn't beat Guadeloupe; if Canada and the United States both win, Panama will be in third and get the game against Mexico.

Canada wins the group with a three-goal win at 4-1 or higher OR a four-goal win or more OR any win coupled with a USA loss or draw. (They can also win the group via coinflip - I believe - if they win 3-0 and USA only wins 1-0 against GPE). Second place is theirs in two ways - a USA loss and a Canada draw; or the three way tie at 6 (CAN+USA win) if Canada only won by two goals. Canada would finish in third if they won by only one goal, and the United States won.

United States wins the group with a win over Guadeloupe and a Canada win over Panama, provided Canada doesn't win by three goals. They finish in second with a win if Panama won or drew (or Canada blew them out and stole the group), or a draw and a Panama win or draw. They can also finish in second with a loss; this would require Guadeloupe to only beat them by one goal while Panama beat Canada. USA can finish in third if they draw with GPE and Canada beats Panama - which would mean a trip to play Mexico.

Guadeloupe needs a two goal win over the USA and a Panama win over Canada to advance in second place.

In short, the brackets look like this.

June 18 - East Rutherford

5 PM - Costa Rica -vs- Honduras

8 PM - Mexico -vs- CAN/GUA/PAN/USA

June 19 - Washington DC

3 or 6 PM - Jamaica -vs- CAN/GPE/PAN/USA

3 or 6 PM - CAN/PAN/USA -vs- GUA/SLV

LvZYtbZ.png

Here are my predictions for today's games:

Panama 2, Canada 0. Therefore, El Slavador qualifies, Canada is eliminated, and Panama gets first in the group.

USA 3, Guadeloupe 1. Therefore, USA gets second place in group C and plays Jamaica.

25yzwqg.png

Archived