International Fútbol Tournaments and World Cup Qualification

AnythingChicago

Too much integrity and not enough oil money with which to bribe FIFA officials to get the Cup as well.

Well Alberta has oil money. Just not worth spending on something for the entire country.

That's why I said "not enough." :P

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but why did Brazil compete in the Gold Cup in 1996, 1998, and 2003? Arent they associated with CONMEBOL?

Guest teams can be invited to participate. Even South Africa played in one.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, but why did Brazil compete in the Gold Cup in 1996, 1998, and 2003? Arent they associated with CONMEBOL?

A lot of times, the league/region holding the tournament will invite other teams from around the world to "spice up" the tournament. For example, the CONMEBOL invited Japan (who was replaced by Costa Rica) and Mexico to their tournament.

I'm not a fan of it, but no one ever asked me. ;)

25yzwqg.png

Dear Bob Bradley: everything you did against Panama the first time, do the exact opposite this time. Thank you.

With help from Wikipedia...

In 1996, Brazil was invited to compete in the Gold Cup. The Brazilians sent their U-23 team and finished runner-up behind Mexico in that edition.

The performance was good enough to get another invite in 1998. This time, they brought their 'A' team to the Gold Cup, but only netted a third place finish.

Once again, Brazil was invited in 2003 and, like in 1996, they brought their U-23 team and finished runner-up behind Mexico.

There hasn't been any special entries to the tourny since the 2005 event when Columbia and South Africa were invited. It's been mostly CONMEBOL members who have been invited, but it hasn't stop CONCACAF from inviting teams from Asia or Africa. On the flip side, the Copa America (CONMEBOL's big event) usually invites teams from other associations and have invited Mexico and Costa Rice from CONCACAF to compete when it begins in two weeks (Costa Rica is replacing Japan, who had issues with their players being allowed to be with the national team from their club teams).

A lot of times, the league/region holding the tournament will invite other teams from around the world to "spice up" the tournament. For example, the CONMEBOL invited Japan (who was replaced by Costa Rica) and Mexico to their tournament.

In reality, CONMEBOL is the only confed that I could see inviting other members, given that the tournament calls for 12 teams and there are but 10 CONMEBOL nations.

LvZYtbZ.png

In reality, CONMEBOL is the only confed that I could see inviting other members, given that the tournament calls for 12 teams and there are but 10 CONMEBOL nations.

My solution to that would to have Suriname, Guyana, and French Guiana stop pretending that they're in North America, but, once again, no one ever asked me...

25yzwqg.png

Wasn't expecting a 2-0 victory over Jamaica (I was expecting it to be a close nailbiter, possibly extras), but hey, I'll take it. 2 more wins, USMNT. Just 2 more.

The rematch against Panama this Wednesday. First time I am actually concerned coming into a Gold Cup Match for the US.

You mean besides the Mexico games?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The rematch against Panama this Wednesday. First time I am actually concerned coming into a Gold Cup Match for the US.

You mean besides the Mexico games?

Yeah, I can't imagine there was anybody who thought that the '09 Final would be a walk in the park for the US. It damn sure wasn't. :P

Just a look see, I'm not taking anything away from Mexico and the US. Money and tons of people help but still can't help looking at past Gold Cup results. Must be nice to see your country invest and care so much about Footy, not just Hockey.

1991 - USA 0-0 Honduras (US wins 4-3 on PKs)

1993 - Mexico 4-0 USA

1996 - Mexico 2-0 Brazil (BRZ invite)

1998 - Mexico 1-0 USA

2000 - Canada 2-0 Colombia (COL invite)

2002 - USA 2-0 Costa Rica

2003 - Mexico 1-0 Brazi A.E.T

2005 - USA 0-0 Panama (US wins 3-1 on PKs)

2007 - USA 2-1 Mexico

2009 - Mexico 5-0 USA

So Mexico and or the USA have been in every Gold Cup final (Since it's been the Gold Cup) except 2000. Something needs to be done, like I brought up or it could have been someone else in the Domestic Thread. Making one big Western Hemisphere championship between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. This is why I am so much more into the UEFA Championships (The best national tournament in the world) out does the World Cup most of the time.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Just a look see, I'm not taking anything away from Mexico and the US. Money and tons of people help but still can't help looking at past Gold Cup results. Must be nice to see your country invest and care so much about Footy, not just Hockey.

1991 - USA 0-0 Honduras (US wins 4-3 on PKs)

1993 - Mexico 4-0 USA

1996 - Mexico 2-0 Brazil (BRZ invite)

1998 - Mexico 1-0 USA

2000 - Canada 2-0 Colombia (COL invite)

2002 - USA 2-0 Costa Rica

2003 - Mexico 1-0 Brazi A.E.T

2005 - USA 0-0 Panama (US wins 3-1 on PKs)

2007 - USA 2-1 Mexico

2009 - Mexico 5-0 USA

So Mexico and or the USA have been in every Gold Cup final (Since it's been the Gold Cup) except 2000. Something needs to be done, like I brought up or it could have been someone else in the Domestic Thread. Making one big Western Hemisphere championship between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. This is why I am so much more into the UEFA Championships (The best national tournament in the world) out does the World Cup most of the time.

The best part of the 2000 tournament? Canada only advanced out of the group stage because they won a coinflip :P Look it up, I'm not joking.

1zqy8ok.gif

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6693975/hamstring-strain-forces-united-states-forward-jozy-altidore-gold-cup

Altidore is out for remainder of GC...hopefully others step up so the USMNT don't soley rest on Dempsey's shoulders.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Can't watch game tonight because for some reason Directv doesn't carry Fox Soccer Channel. I am honestly outraged, anyone know if the games on another channel?

Check the channels that are in Spanish. That's where I've been watching all the Gold Cup games.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Can't watch game tonight because for some reason Directv doesn't carry Fox Soccer Channel. I am honestly outraged, anyone know if the games on another channel?

I don't know what's up because I am watching it right now on Directv on fox soccer channel.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived